cant decide between UC or ANU for accounting (1 Viewer)

lambchop

HSC
N/A
Hey,
new to this thread, so I hope i posted this in the right place. So I started with a Arts/Comm and changed to Arts/Asian Studies as I wanted to get some languages and did not like doing all the extra non accounting courses a full comm degree required. I am about to graduate from ANU with a high credit ave (so ok but not great). I am now looking at graduate studies and this is my dilema.

Both ANU and UC offer Master of Accounting, both CPA and CA approved. ANU costs 32 grand which means a loan, UC is commonwealth sponsored. I will take out the loan if i need it, but only if it really worth going to ANU over UC. If two people go for a job, same grades etc, so say both have Distinctions, and the only real difference is one went to UC and the other to ANU, would it be a big factor in who they pick?
I am not looking to just work in Canberra, I would probably start there. But as my partner is in the military, I will be in big cities in a few years, most likely Melbourne or Sydney.

Also I am not really getting this whole CPA thing? If your course is CPA approved are you able to become a member or do you undertake more courses with them the way you would with the CA?

One more thing, do firms look seriously as someone who received their accounting qualification post grad? Is it more desirable because they already have at least one undergrad degree, or are they seen as people who came a bit late to the game?

Sorry it is a lot of questions, but I am really confused. It is a big debt to take on, but worth it if it gets me the job.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
ahh shit, i wrote a long responce and it's all gone.

Go CA, i wouldn't even bother with CPA, CA is much more prestigious.

I suspect firms would look at a post-grad degree alot higher than an undergrad. Mature aged students seem to be alot more driven, and generally their marks are way better.

lambchop

HSC
N/A
lol just my luck, i have been waiting for a response for days and then you lose your long one. Ah well. What do you think about UC vs ANU? Is it worth the debt? I guess i dont know if interstate firms would know the diff between the two.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
imo i'd go ANU, thye would have heard of that. where UC is very super-tafe. That's my opinion anyway. Perhaps ask people who recruit graduates, or go to a graduate night.

Andi0390

HSC
I don't know much about accounting but ANU has a much better reputation than UC. As Davo said UC is much more of a vocational university. For the theoretical more, I hate to say it, but 'proper' subjects you are much better off going to one of the main universities, ie. ANU, Usyd, Melb, UNSW, Monash etc.

If you are going to be applying for firms I think that having ANU on your resume can make a huge difference, although it is likely that the content is not going to be differing that much. I tend to feel that ANU goes of research reputation rather than teaching quality, but its not a bad university. I would definitely go ANU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)