Simoleons? (1 Viewer)

adamcg

HSC
I'm looking at some of the catered accommodation for 2010 and it all seems pretty awesome.
except for that little weekly figure.....

How do other ANU res' make mullah?
Jobs (if so, what kind)? Awesome parentals? Savings? Slaving?

any advice?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
i swear i answered this somewhere... lol, oh well. i can't find it so i'll add it to the FAQ

1. They get payment through the government - Rent assistance & Austudy can cover quite a lot.
2. A loan from the parents (or an 'allowance')
3. Working. I personally wouldn't work more than 8 hours a week (particularly science based courses, arts a bit easier to stretch that). However, i know people who work over 25hrs a week. But it is hard.
4. A combination of the above.

EDIT: the govt has made it harder to get aus-study, so you might need to look into the latter 3

Last edited:

dreamee

HSC
live at an uncatered college. ;-)

The food really doesn't cost $100 a week. I spend on average $30 a week on food and no, i don't live on mi goreng.

imho, it really saves a lot

CascadeAlexis

HSC
Depends what you're prepared to do. I work in Fyshwick to pay my rent, if you catch my drift (you probably don't), and a lot of people do this at uni, I work with a handful of girls from the ANU colleges and a few ANU students from elsewhere.

On the other hand, this option is not for everyone, so options are: parents, centrelink and working consistently every week to cover rent. If parents can't support you, centrelink might. It's a little complicated;

If you come from a low income family and your parents CANT support you, you get some money, but no rent assistance. At the most it's about 240 a fortnight, but this is based on your parents income and in adjusted towards 0 thusly.

If you are over 22, have worked full time for 18 months or have earned something like $18 000 in the last year you can be independent which means you get 500 a fortnight including 100 rent assistance.

If you are UNABLE to live at home because of severe abuse, financial issues (good luck selling that one, centrelink isn't stupid and knows that living at home is cheaper for everyone, especially you and Centrelink itself) or because your family moves around alot, you can go through the massive process (which I am currently going through) of disowning your parents. You really can't do this one unless they sign a legal document saying that they hit you and/or hate you and never want to see you again, let alone house you. Then you need to get a third party (usually a counsellor or social worker) To vouch for you. You need to be specific; vagueness might seem like a way out, but really it is not your friend. Then it gets sent up to a cave high in the mountains where a panel of dragons decide how much more abuse you can take, and, finally, if the bastards feel a bit human on the day they see your application, you're granted the liveable sum of 500 a fortnight, inc rent assist.

If you have any Qs about this process, feel free to ask. I am unable to live at home because my dad is deceased and my mum is insane and abusive. I'm almost 20, and It's taken a year of being homeless and many stays at the Canberra Youth Refuge to even be considered for this thing. I actually left the country just to get away from her. And yes, in the meantime, fyshwick and cock sucking for me.

Seriously, welcome to the real world. Get into a college if you can though. I wish I had, sleeping on couches, cars and elevators isn't fun. Especially during exam time. Lol.

Luke559

HSC
I don't know what's scarier.... the fact that you had to do "that" for a living .... or that I actually believe you...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)