NO accommodation (1 Viewer)

clairebear41

HSC
Does anyone still have no accommodation like me?

After days of calling up ANU accommodation services I have found out this;

Apparently there are no spots left anywhere and over 100 people still need accommodation.Unlike previous years nobody is rejecting their placements nor are they bailing out

At the moment their is a massive crisis and nobody knows where they are going to put the students who need accommodation.... and we won't find out till Friday

Great news hey?

:mad:

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
Does anyone still have no accommodation like me?

After days of calling up ANU accommodation services I have found out this;

Apparently there are no spots left anywhere and over 100 people still need accommodation.Unlike previous years nobody is rejecting their placements nor are they bailing out

At the moment their is a massive crisis and nobody knows where they are going to put the students who need accommodation.... and we won't find out till Friday

Great news hey?

:mad:
I've been doing the same with emailing and calling up... did someone from ANU actually tell you this?

shit hey.

Andi0390

HSC
If you have the accommodation guarantee I imagine they'll find someplace to put you. I wouldn't worry too much about it, if worse comes to worse just go to Canberra, stay at a Backpackers or something until you find a room in a share house.

Last year some groups were discussing with ANU a system that used to be in place years ago where ANU purchased/rented private houses and sort of subletted them out to groups of students, and also used to guarantee leases because basically no one wants to rent to groups of students. This is all second hand information but maybe they'll be looking at doing something like that, because they can't very well just go and build a new residential college.

ANU has a pretty bad reputation with accommodation, so I don't think this is very surprising.

John555

HSC
I also have no accommodation offer at the moment, although it says I am being considered for UniLodge. However going by your comments, it seems I, along with a few others will not be getting into any ANU halls or UniLodge.

Edit: I saw on the FAQ by Davo that they will sometimes end up putting you in a hotel or something and charge you the cost of living in Fenner if they have absolutely no spaces left. I think that would be a much better deal for me, because living at UniLodge is EXPENSIVE for an uncatered residence and the contract is freaking 48-52 weeks!!

Last edited:

vikraman

HSC
Better start listening to Pitbull - Hotel Room Service.

John555

HSC
ANU has a pretty bad reputation with accommodation, so I don't think this is very surprising.
Agreed. I read through some of the other threads from previous years and people were having the exact same problems. I think last year or in 2008, ANU had no vacancies left, so a lot of people ended up getting put into a hotel, motel and other off campus accommodation. In fact, I saw some people getting accomodation offers a few days before O-Week!

clairebear41

HSC
I've been doing the same with emailing and calling up... did someone from ANU actually tell you this?

shit hey.

Yes someone did tell me this as a matter of fact about three of the staff 'accidently' let this slip out.

I'm so pissed off I thought doing the HSC and getting into my course was the hard part turns out this has been way more stressful.

I have also been under 'consideration' by Fenner Hall for weeks now. My parents can not afford to pay more than this amount as I have a twin sister going to UNI and we just miss out on Youth Allowance.

Than again the lady on the phone said that there was a kid flying in from WA who had no accommodation yet and had no where to stay.... now that would suck. I live three hours away atleast

Going to be interesting to see what happens. I think I'm on the bottom of the waiting list now from complaining so much via email and phone.lol

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Don't panic guys. All of you will be put in hotels. In previous years ANU has subsidised the fees of people at hotels, and they haven't paid more than people at self-catered colleges. After six months, most people in the hotels were moved to a college of their choice.

It will work out, unless you're a postgraduate without an accommodation guarantee, in which case, welcome to the Canberra rental market.

clairebear41

HSC
Ok so If we are put into hotels which might be ok. where are we suposed to cook our food?, Internet connection? laundery? Do we have to share a bedroom with someone?

You would think if this has happened in the past then they would have done something about it before now......

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Without going into a huge discussion, it won't end up supplying many more spaces. I.e. 94 pillow spaces won't let 94 more first years into accom.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Without going into a huge discussion, it won't end up supplying many more spaces. I.e. 94 pillow spaces won't let 94 more first years into accom.
That's true, it all depends on how they decide to allocate rooms and who applies for Laurus. But it should still allow a few more undergraduate spots - not enough though.

Shaybay92

HSC
This seems quite excessive.. .I mean you would think yeah like 30 kids is just unfortunate but 100? Seems like extra accommodation should have been worked out ages ago.

rx34

HSC
I got this email from them even though I did not receive an offer from ANU (third pref).

Dear Applicant,
Thank you for applying for accommodation at the Australian National University. ANU has experienced an unprecedented demand for accommodation in 2010, and although the University has increased the number of beds available by 1100 since 2007, this is still not enough. We therefore regretfully advise you that your application for accommodation has been unsuccessful.
If you will be studying at the University in 2010 you are advised to start looking for alternative accommodation now, as demand for off-campus accommodation is extremely high. The following useful resources may be of assistance to you in your search for off-campus accommodation:

Melissa Hayes

rx34

HSC
I remember ANU guaranteeing accommodation if you get an offer and apply by Jan 20. I guess they going back on their word now? :(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)