ANU/Canberra 2011 Rollcall (1 Viewer)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Stickied.

Second year, BA/BSc in Political Science, International Relations and Computer Science. Residential Scholar at Ursies.

qfa380

HSC
I got in for BCom at ANU, third preference after Unsw and Usyd (missed unsw by .35) but I accepted ANU so we'll see.

Nelke

HSC
Totally just joined BoS for the sake of stalking the ANU Forums and whatnot.

I'll be starting this year doing combined Arts/Asia-Pacific Studies ~

Looking forward to living on campus and meeting lovely people and and studying. Sort of.

Also. I have a question. So~ I've accepted my offer. Now what? Since I'm terrified I'll miss something since I'm overseas.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Also. I have a question. So~ I've accepted my offer. Now what? Since I'm terrified I'll miss something since I'm overseas.
From when I enroled at UWA they'll then tell you a day and time for you to come in and sign up for your student account and have one of the professors enroll you in the units.

All I'd do is keep my ears and eyes open regarding this stuff and make sure you know what units you want to enrol in.

buyhercandy

HSC
Totally just joined BoS for the sake of stalking the ANU Forums and whatnot.

I'll be starting this year doing combined Arts/Asia-Pacific Studies ~

Looking forward to living on campus and meeting lovely people and and studying. Sort of.

Have a look here - http://www.anu.edu.au/sas/enrolments/instructions/1930 Instruction PDFs/UG-coursework.pdf

This will tell you which day you can enrol on.

Also, if you need to do a language placement test (ie, you've studied a language before that you'd like to continue with), you can contact either the College of Arts and Social Sciences or the College of Asia and the Pacific (depending on what language it is) for the dates.

Nelke

HSC
Have a look here - http://www.anu.edu.au/sas/enrolments/instructions/1930 Instruction PDFs/UG-coursework.pdf

This will tell you which day you can enrol on.

Also, if you need to do a language placement test (ie, you've studied a language before that you'd like to continue with), you can contact either the College of Arts and Social Sciences or the College of Asia and the Pacific (depending on what language it is) for the dates.
I want to let you know that you are amazing. Thankyou for the link, it helped out a lot c: Ah... I don't think I'll sit the language placement test, but thankyou for the heads up!

Thanks Studentleader, also! I've been noting down what Majors I want to take, but I've stumbled upon a problem. On the ~typical timetable~ of my course it lists Four Majors with 6 Units in Brackets. So... how do I go about picking my Units again?

Ahahahaha, sorry I'm so hopeless at this stuff :c

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
6u = worth 6 unit points.

If your degree is 3 years you do 3 * 8 * 6 = 144 unit points

So don't worry about the 6u :)

thanks for that link btw candy

Mathy

HSC
BSc (Math and Stats) and I got an offer for B&G.

azsakura

HSC
Hey guys i've got a question as well. I've accepted the offer online. and i've also applied for the accomodation before, but 2 days theres no reply in mail nor when i checked the accomodation portal, the status still says: Academic offer made. I was informed that ill get a package (in mail)about enrolment or something. I mean if i didn't get the accomodation i can go there and look for a house now.... But once again, they say theres guaranteed accomodation for first year ungrats.... sigh.... anyone in the same situation?... ORZ

xixander

HSC
Hey guys i've got a question as well. I've accepted the offer online. and i've also applied for the accomodation before, but 2 days theres no reply in mail nor when i checked the accomodation portal, the status still says: Academic offer made. I was informed that ill get a package (in mail)about enrolment or something. I mean if i didn't get the accomodation i can go there and look for a house now.... But once again, they say theres guaranteed accomodation for first year ungrats.... sigh.... anyone in the same situation?... ORZ
Literally the same situation here... was starting to get concerned till I saw your post. I guess that's the way it works... nothing to worry about then :)

ajdlinux

HSC
Yes, you'll get a package about enrolment in the coming days. This is separate from accommodation.

Accommodation offers will be made online, and apparently offers are starting to come out now. Keep checking your email regularly for the next few days - at some point they'll email you about an accommodation offer and you'll have 48 hours to accept it. Be prepared with a credit card with a good $1500 or so left on it - you'll need to pay the acceptance fees/bond/first two weeks rent straight off.

Mathy

HSC
Accommodation offers will be made online, and apparently offers are starting to come out now. Keep checking your email regularly for the next few days - at some point they'll email you about an accommodation offer and you'll have 48 hours to accept it. Be prepared with a credit card with a good $1500 or so left on it - you'll need to pay the acceptance fees/bond/first two weeks rent straight off.
Yeah, I got my Accommodation offer very quick (early yesterday) to B&G, paid the $1191 acceptance fee online. You can pay via a bank draft/money order but you have to fax a copy of it to the residence within the 48 hour time frame. Well this is for B&G, not sure about the rest.

Good luck to everyone, hope you all get your preference for accommodation!

Nelke

HSC
Ah, thankyou everyone for being so helpful c:

And congrats Mathy on getting your offer~ I'm getting kinda freaked out waiting for my accommodation offer like Azsakura and Xixander, but I guess I'm not a special snowflake and we've all gotta cross our fingers.

Studentleader and Davo1111, thankyou for the clarification on the Units thing c: I'm a little bummed since the only available class for both International Relations and Political Science in First Sem appears to be the same course? Does that mean I can't take Polit. Sci and International Relations?

... someone hold my hand and walk me through this stuff because I am more confused than the most confused person in the world right now. :c

EDIT

Just saw this on the Accommodation Portal Site:

IMPORTANT! The ANU has experienced some issues with sending out offers to hotmail.com and live.com
accounts. If you have a hotmail.com or live.com e-mail account listed in your accommodation application
please check the accommodation portal using your username and password to check the
progress of your application. We hope to have this issue resolved shortly.

Not sure if this helps any of you guys any, but hey c: Information is information.

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I'm gonna fly ot on the 31st of Jan and try find a place before uni starts - hopefully thats alright!

ajdlinux

HSC
Studentleader and Davo1111, thankyou for the clarification on the Units thing c: I'm a little bummed since the only available class for both International Relations and Political Science in First Sem appears to be the same course? Does that mean I can't take Polit. Sci and International Relations?
You can (that's what I'm doing). For Pol Sci, there's only one course in first semester you can take (POLS1002 Introduction to Politics), but if you want a course for IR you can also take EURO1004 Europe in the Modern Era (haven't done it, good course apparently).

Of course it's not what you do in your first semester that counts - it's whether or not you've met the requirements at the end of your degree. So if you choose not to do EURO1004 (I didn't) you just need to make it up in a later year.

Nelke

HSC
You can (that's what I'm doing). For Pol Sci, there's only one course in first semester you can take (POLS1002 Introduction to Politics), but if you want a course for IR you can also take EURO1004 Europe in the Modern Era (haven't done it, good course apparently).

Of course it's not what you do in your first semester that counts - it's whether or not you've met the requirements at the end of your degree. So if you choose not to do EURO1004 (I didn't) you just need to make it up in a later year.
Oh sweet! Thanks for the clarification.

I have another question, though, for my Asia-Pacific Studies Course, I plan on taking Security Studies and Chinese for the language, but while looking at the Chinese Course, there's two 6U courses, one being Writing and the other being Speaking. While using the Timetable Generator, I selected the both of them, since presumably in order to learn the language I'd have to develop both speaking and writing skills, it showed that the two classes overlap. Uhm, what's up with that?

And sorry if I'm being a pest with all the questions.

ajdlinux

HSC
That's a bit odd, it seems CHIN1012 and CHIN1013 Lecture A clash. Although it does specify the same venue, so perhaps it's a common lecture between the two courses or something? And you're right, it seems you do have to do both of them. You'll also have to pick tutorials and they look like they could give you an awkward timetable. :/

Anyway, I'm sure the rep at Enrolments will be able to explain it all to you when you get there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)