ANU halls/colleges (1 Viewer)

arimerialc

HSC
Hi, I'm planning on studying Arts/Law at ANU next year and have applied for accommodation at Burton & Garran Hall (I've gone for B&G due to the price difference between catered and self-catered). I was just wondering if anyone knows much about what the general atmosphere is there, what the social life is like, how many first years there usually are, etc... Basically any info would be appreciated :) I've found that most of the information online is about the catered colleges.

uhoohoo

HSC
(don't live there but I have friends who do)
great social life if you want it to be, lots of social events and opportunities to get involved but you can also stay in your room and keep to yourself if that's what you like, quite a lot of first years i think

arimerialc

HSC
Thanks that's really helpful :)
Does anyone else have any info?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I have two good friends there :)

The big kitchen area is really awesome, people often cook in a big communal and happy type way. The college is quite diverse in make up (international, rural/interstate students). It's a pretty big college, I recall about 500 people there. Has good social/sport/arts activities.

There should be quite a few first years there, normally first years are the biggest year group at a college. Not sure of exact numbers.

arimerialc

HSC
Thanks LoveHateSchool, that all sounds great.
Anyone else have experience with B&G?

danniomc

HSC
Hey, I actually just finished my first year there and it was probably the best experience I've ever had in my life. The people are great - you get a great mix of people from everywhere! The kitchen is definitely the hub of B&G and if you're interested in having a good social life, that is the best place to start. It's as social as you want it to be - for me I really wanted the full experience and you'll probably make friends with people who are similar in what you want from college. I went in thinking that I'd only stay a year and I'm definitely coming back for at least another year!

Also there's quite a large Arts/Law (or just combined law in general) cohort here. It's super supportive and there's heaps of academic mentoring and things like that to make sure you do well.

Hope to see you here next year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)