ANU - Which College is best for me? (1 Viewer)

Mellwyn_96

HSC
Hey there, I'm looking to study International relations at ANU after a gap year, just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the colleges and their culture?

While I am pretty sociable I am not a massive party animal, and academic work is pretty important to me. I love meeting heaps of different people, especially international students, but am not so into social politics. I'm from a pretty rural area, so am pretty down to earth.
From what I've read John's isn't the place for me, but apart from that I'm a bit lost!

uhoohoo

HSC
i'd say bruce for meeting people but also being studious?
probably not johns or burgmann

uhoohoo

HSC
Yep, all apart from unilodge and big are catered, would suggest bringing a mini fridge though

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
College doesn't matter, the Daley road colleges are all pretty much the same. The Unilodges aren't colleges, they're overpriced, shared apartments.

sirquack

HSC
Hi guys, I've been at Bruce Hall for the past year so the following are the completely biased opinions I've heard and what I've experienced in the case of Bruce.
1. Ursula: catered. Lovely people, social life is a bit dead (what I've heard from ursies that transferred to Bruce). Good academic reputation.
2. Johns. catered. Very 'blokey' sporty reputation. Hazing will occur. However, the first year girl from Johns that I've spoken to says that this is a stereotype. Probably the prettiest common areas, small rooms. Won the sport shield last year.
3. Burgmann. catered. Law students from sydney private schools. Tend to be a little pretentious. Second prettiest common areas, tiny rooms.
4. BnG. non-catered. Pretty much Bruce without food. People make friendship groups while organising to cook together. Huge industrial kitchen.
5. Fenner. non-catered. Quite close in terms of college atmosphere. Off-campus.
6. Unilodge. non-catered. What you make of it. Pretty daunting trying to find a social group in the first semester but it is possible. Some Bruce transfers made some amazing friends there.
7. Bruce. catered. Insanely welcoming. About 50/50 Sydney/other split. No hazing, except slightly forceful friendliness. Won the arts shield last year. Not great at sports, but always tries. :p Small first year cohort. Large rooms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)