Didn't get my first preference, am now stuck at UniLodge. Am I doomed? (1 Viewer)

Page Not

HSC
So, as the title says, I didn't get into my first preference (catered accommodation at a certain Davey Road college), and have instead ended up at Davey Lodge.

I've heard nothing but bad stuff about UniLodge - particularly in terms of the social atmosphere, which I'm quite worried about. I'm the only person from my school going to ANU, and after spending 13 years at the same school, that is a fairly daunting prospect. Although I'm quite a sociable person, UniLodge doesn't sound like a place that promotes a very cohesive community atmosphere.

So I was wondering if anyone at ANU/UniLodge could shed some light on this. Is UniLodge as bad as it's made out to be? Am I doomed to a life of eternal loneliness? Are people at UniLodge looked down on by others? Why is it so bad at sport? Also, do people make friends with people from other colleges?

Last edited:

BlueyJez

HSC
Mate, I'm in the exact same boat and I would love to know the same info. Worse thing is my offer came Friday night, and nobody from Unilodge can answer my questions until Tuesday because of Australia Day. That's when the deposit is due. Not a good start to my uni experience.

madijd

HSC
Mate, I'm in the exact same boat and I would love to know the same info. Worse thing is my offer came Friday night, and nobody from Unilodge can answer my questions until Tuesday because of Australia Day. That's when the deposit is due. Not a good start to my uni experience.
sorry you didn't get johns :( I think the best thing to do at this point would be to accept the offer as you may not get another one?

If you're from the ACT its probably a different story but if you're coming interstate i would want to secure accommodation if possible.

Unilodge isn't that far off campus (3 min drive or so) and there are actually some class buildings next to it.

macka144

HSC
Well it seems at least I'm not alone in receiving this infamous Friday evening offer to Davey Lodge. Since then I've done a few inquiries as Uni-lodge was miles off my accommodation radar. First of all I sent an email to the student services and received a reply with some useful (albeit unexpected info) regarding the selection process. It has apparently changed this year to be computer generated based on filling quotas for various student demographics (eg. overseas, gender etc). So it seems we've missed out due to bad luck.
Also the reply highly recommended accepting the offer despite it not being a preferred choice since they only give one offer and if you decline, you're on your own. So they say if you accept at least you'll be in the system and can apply for a transfer at a later time during the year (the first time being late April). Seeing as though I may well have to accept it (and with such a short time to do so) today I went down there from Sydney, as the Uni-lodges are open (unlike the colleges) and had a guy that works there show me around with another person in this predicament.(hey there if you're reading this). Overall I'd sum the pros and cons as follows (this is for a studio)

Positives:
- You get your own bathroom unlike the colleges with a stove top to cook with (apparently some sort of cafeteria should be opening soon at Uni-lodge so you don't have to cook or buy takeaway all the time but I don't know how long till it opens)
- Close to the arts/law faculties as well as shops (particularly compared to the colleges)

Negatives:
- It seems as though students well into or close to completing their degree form the majority of people staying there. So I'd expect not that many 1st year undergraduates to be around at the start of the semester (unless a lot of us received that Friday offer...)
- Socially there seems to be some activities available, also having a games room but I don't imagine it being extensive.

So that's all I can tell you for now really. I think I'll end up accepting tomorrow and if it turns out that Uni-lodge is what it's made out to be on these threads then I'll try to transfer (also transferring mid contract is okay as long as it is to another ANU residence).

Hope this helps.

Laurennnnnn

HSC
I'm staying at Davey Lodge in a 3 bedroom multishare apartment... I'm pretty excited to be honest!

BlueyJez

HSC
Well it seems at least I'm not alone in receiving this infamous Friday evening offer to Davey Lodge. Since then I've done a few inquiries as Uni-lodge was miles off my accommodation radar. First of all I sent an email to the student services and received a reply with some useful (albeit unexpected info) regarding the selection process. It has apparently changed this year to be computer generated based on filling quotas for various student demographics (eg. overseas, gender etc). So it seems we've missed out due to bad luck.
Also the reply highly recommended accepting the offer despite it not being a preferred choice since they only give one offer and if you decline, you're on your own. So they say if you accept at least you'll be in the system and can apply for a transfer at a later time during the year (the first time being late April). Seeing as though I may well have to accept it (and with such a short time to do so) today I went down there from Sydney, as the Uni-lodges are open (unlike the colleges) and had a guy that works there show me around with another person in this predicament.(hey there if you're reading this). Overall I'd sum the pros and cons as follows (this is for a studio)

Positives:
- You get your own bathroom unlike the colleges with a stove top to cook with (apparently some sort of cafeteria should be opening soon at Uni-lodge so you don't have to cook or buy takeaway all the time but I don't know how long till it opens)
- Close to the arts/law faculties as well as shops (particularly compared to the colleges)

Negatives:
- It seems as though students well into or close to completing their degree form the majority of people staying there. So I'd expect not that many 1st year undergraduates to be around at the start of the semester (unless a lot of us received that Friday offer...)
- Socially there seems to be some activities available, also having a games room but I don't imagine it being extensive.

So that's all I can tell you for now really. I think I'll end up accepting tomorrow and if it turns out that Uni-lodge is what it's made out to be on these threads then I'll try to transfer (also transferring mid contract is okay as long as it is to another ANU residence).

Hope this helps.
You are awesome for tracking all the way there! Thanks for the info. I ended up taking it anyway and hoping for a transfer later on. Although, I'll wait and see how UniLodge goes for me. The bathroom/kitchen facilities are a bonus.

The selection process is interesting. I knew that there were talks of diversifying colleges last year, but I didn't know it was so computer generated.

uhoohoo

HSC
hola i've been at unilodge for 2 years already, happy to help with anything (even super specific stuff) you guys want to know :)
social wise, it's like everyone says, it's what you make of it... seriously

Joshh97

HSC
N/A
Sorry to hear you guys didn't get your first preference, the situation you're in now is exactly what I'm dreading will happen to me next year :/ If you do a lot of extra-curriculars and sport do you think that increases your chances of getting into a college? Good luck guys, I hope UniLodge doesn't suck for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)