How do they choose what college/residence you go to? (1 Viewer)

davden90925

HSC
Hi, I'm just wondering about how the accommodation applications works now that they've changed it to a central pool (or so I hear).

I've heard that they randomly allocate you to a college now because they want to diversify the colleges and move away from the stereotypes, is this true?

I really want to go to Johns because I feel like it fits me the best – I'm a really extroverted person and half the reason I want to come to ANU instead of staying in Melbourne is to get into the whole college experience where you are living with all your friends on campus. I love being around people and the idea of communal living and the college atmosphere/spirit really appeals to me, so basically I really don't want to go to a unilodge and Fenner is too far away from the action.

My preference order would be Johns > Burgmann > Bruce. I really want to go to Johns but I can see myself enjoying Burgmann just as much as I'd likely fit in there too, and Bruce sounds pretty good as well. I'd rather not go to ANU than go to a self catered or unilodge, and Fenner/Ursula really don't appeal to me. Not trying to offend anyone who goes to these places, I just don't think the style of living suits me very well.

Basically, if they read on my application that I like sport, love being social and meeting new people, really like participating in lots of events, quite extraverted, etc etc, as well as that my first preference is John XXIII, are they going to sit back and think "Well, this guy would really fit in well at Johns and would hate living at Unilodge, lets send him to Johns" or are they just going to admit me wherever there is space? How much to they take into account your preference and where you are best suited to?

Joshh97

HSC
N/A
I feel the exact same way! I really want to go to Burton and Garran (Johns has a bit of a bad reputation for hazing and misogyny but is considered the best party college as I'm sure you know) And honestly one of the major reasons I want to go to ANU is because I've always wanted that American college experience and to not just be stuck in UniLodge like every other Australian university... I may as well just go to Sydney if that's gonna happen. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you davden and let you know if I hear any new information about the college allocation process.

pitterpatter

HSC
Does anyone know why Johns has such a bad reputation??? I was just wondering because I am still trying to decide between Bruce or Johns, but I tend to keep hearing bad things about Johns, and I just wanted to know how much of this was true??? Yeah I'm the same, I think if I get stuck in Unilodge I might just go to uni in Queensland instead!

etty44

HSC
N/A
Hi. Has anyone had an interview for Burgmann yet?? Getting anxious. Like you I don't want to end up in Unilodge!

colleenhead

HSC
So what is wrong with UniLodge?? i have not seen any of the colleges and don't really know any differences,please help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)