Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RenegadeMx
  • 3 Post By Swaan

Thread: How to survive at uni?

HSC

Exclamation How to survive at uni?

Hello!

I plan on doing a double degree after I finish year 12, but location is limiting for me. It'd be amazing if I could move out of home and into a small place by myself with as much privacy as possible.

First question: How difficult would it be to juggle a double degree (Bachelor of Genetics/Bachelor of Science (Mathematics)) with a part-time job?

Second question: Is a typical part-time job sufficient to cover rent, food, bills, petrol, etc..? And would its sufficiency in providing me enough money for living increase the difficulty of juggling a double degree with the job?

Thank you very much!

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Re: How to survive at uni?

Dude why r u worried about this? You're still in yr 11, slow down, no need for the rush. You can worry about it after the HSC

First question: I think it all comes down to time management

Second question: depends how many hours a week you spend working. I also believe that if you cannot afford sufficient funds to rent a room/apartment of some sort then centrelink can back you up (don't quote me on this though)

Once again, slow down. Focus on your HSC first then worry about uni

HSC

I would recommend maybe looking into online university or job opportunities, it takes away a lot of stress.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    Dude why r u worried about this? You're still in yr 11, slow down, no need for the rush. You can worry about it after the HSC

First question: I think it all comes down to time management

Second question: depends how many hours a week you spend working. I also believe that if you cannot afford sufficient funds to rent a room/apartment of some sort then centrelink can back you up (don't quote me on this though)

Once again, slow down. Focus on your HSC first then worry about uni

I'd like to not worry about it haha but my family is moving state at the end of year 12 and I need to know what I'm doing/where I'm going.

Do you know anyone that has managed to do a double degree, or even a single one, and keep a part-time job while living away from home?

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceGuy99 View Post
    I'd like to not worry about it haha but my family is moving state at the end of year 12 and I need to know what I'm doing/where I'm going.

Do you know anyone that has managed to do a double degree, or even a single one, and keep a part-time job while living away from home?
    Nah I don't soz

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    I would recommend maybe looking into online university or job opportunities, it takes away a lot of stress.
    No way would I do online uni hahaha

HSC

No way would I do online uni hahaha
    Haha why? It's really not that bad and it's really flexible.

HSC

Haha why? It's really not that bad and it's really flexible.
    You couldn't learn a bachelor of genetics or bachelor of mathematics online... otherwise I would hahaha

D94
    HSC
    N/A

It'd be amazing if I could move out of home and into a small place by myself with as much privacy as possible.
    Prepare to pay a considerable amount compared to a sharing a house. Have you looked at living on campus?

First question: How difficult would it be to juggle a double degree (Bachelor of Genetics/Bachelor of Science (Mathematics)) with a part-time job?
    That depends on your time management.

Second question: Is a typical part-time job sufficient to cover rent, food, bills, petrol, etc..? And would its sufficiency in providing me enough money for living increase the difficulty of juggling a double degree with the job?
    Depends on where you live. Why don't you make a budget and see how much you need to spend? You may also need to apply for Centrelink youth allowance just to make ends meet. Do you have any savings?

If you have/need to 'juggle' university and a job, then you don't even need to think about how difficult it might be. You have no choice. All your questions need answers from yourself. No one can answer them for you.

HSC
    Uni Grad

You survive by breathing oxygen and eating food

Lel

in all srsness i don't think it would be that hard

you just need to make enough to pay rent/bills/food etc.

Since you're planning to do uni part time, working 3 days a week wouldn't be difficult. If you can manage to make $500 a week (net) i think that should be good enough.

Per week
    Rent = ~$300
    Bills = ~$80
    Food= ~$50

wouldn't be so bad
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

HSC
    Uni Grad

Also idk why you need petrol

You probably wouldn't be able to afford or maintain a car anyway with a part time income and additional expenses

HSC

No, I think it'd be extremely hard.

Depends on the person I guess, but I was doing what you're describing and quit my job as I was flat out working every day with no off days (uni 5 days a week, and working every day off uni + some days AFTER uni). It's really exhausting. Plus you have a lot less time to do uni work/study.

Living out of home is definitely very expensive mainly due to rent. Check out the local rent for what you want, then check out how much you'll be spending on food ect. It might be a good idea to check out some off-campus cheap housing which includes utilities and even internet.

I suggest asking if your parents can partially support you. Investigate what the government can do to help you out (e.g. Youth Allowance). Check out cheap housing. If you absolutely need to work - still do these things ^ to try and keep your working hours to a minimum so you're not flat out.

Money will be tight, and you also must consider if you want to live constantly tight with money (especially when you want to eat out some days, go to events, out with friends etc.)
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

HSC Biology Flashcards

HSC

Right, considering online is not an option I'll answer the question based on living next to campus. Considering the only uni I know of that does genetics is ANU, I assume you'll be going to Canberra or thereabouts. Honestly, I think working part-time and doing a double-degree fully time (especially so science/maths related) would burn you out and you wouldn't really be able to study that much... I don't mean to be pessimistic or anything, I just have a question, why do you need/want a bachelor of genetics? Is there any back-up plan? I'm sure whatever you choose, it you prioritize and work hard you could achieve it...

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Most uni science degrees should have genetics

HSC
    Uni Grad

all u need to survive

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not

~just so i belong~
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    Most uni science degrees should have genetics
    Yeah but I think the OP wants to do a bachelor of genetics, not just a bachelor of science majoring in genetics.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMx View Post
    all u need to survive

taste like petrol and kills gainz

u need some ever clear go hard or go home

HSC
    N/A

Yeah but I think the OP wants to do a bachelor of genetics, not just a bachelor of science majoring in genetics.
    it's essentially the same thing

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    it's essentially the same thing
    Oh, that's good to know... I haven't heard of many unis that let you major in genetics though... do you know which ones do?

Oh yeah, it's in the ANU forum too...

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    taste like petrol and kills gainz

u need some ever clear go hard or go home
    did u become abo now?
    Squar3root likes this.

other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not

~just so i belong~
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

HSC
    N/A

oh, that's good to know... I haven't heard of many unis that let you major in genetics though... Do you know which ones do?

Oh yeah, it's in the anu forum too...
    usyd, unsw

HSC

Tbh, it's manageable if you do it right. Uni science is around 5 days a week (you can lower this if you plan out timetable carefully). You might end up skipping lectures after the first 5 weeks so you can use that time to catch up on homework (tbh this is more efficient and if you get stuck you have the opportunity to listen to online recordings). Youth allowance gives you around 400 in 2 weeks and with loan assist you can get a bit more money. On top of this, getting a 'cash' job to make some saving is also recommended.

However, this might increase the potential for fail thus resulting in greater hecs debts and longer time till completion of degree. Weigh up the benefits and decide for yourself.
    Why I love confessions

yes - but there are always new cute white grills to hit on more and more turn 18 every day

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Possible with Youth Allowance + casual work here and there, difficult and probably impossible if you can't get youth allowance if you're doing something like Science.

With a low contact, low-ish workload degree like arts or many business sort of degrees you can work a fair bit but for Science/Engineering where you might have 20 contact hours then lots of additional study time and assignments on top, it'll wear you out very quickly.

People will come onto forums like this or onto reddit and tell you how they worked full time while studying a hard science or engineering and how it's totally easy do-able and everyone else is just lazy... those people are lying, or using some silly logic along the lines of "I worked 3 hours a day five days a week while living with my parents and five days a week = fulltime."

The most major problem isn't there not being enough hours in the week though, it's that you're 100% dependent on actually having work and in reality you might not be able to get it, or to get enough, or you might have a job that fits then have your hours cut a week before exams.

10 years ago you'd have been fine, you could work on the assumption that you could get a cafe/supermarket job or two and get as many hours as you needed, and if things went bad somewhere you could find another but it's not like that anymore. There are tons of unemployed people who are fully available and desperate for work competing with students for jobs, and foreign students, backpackers and other immigrants working for bellow minimum wage being paid under the table.

The industries that students traditionally worked in are completely stuffed now when it comes to pay/conditions and being able to reliably get work. You simply can't rely on being able to get a casual job you can fit in with uni within a couple of weeks anymore.

You really need the base income of youth allowance to make sure you can pay for rent+food, then work when you can, try to keep at least a couple of thousand in savings going into semester and draw down when needed.

Also the idea of having your own place is sadly fanciful, you'll be living in a sharehouse most likely. (if you're looking at ANU try and get into a college, it's really the only reason to go there)
    Last edited by Dichromate; 1 Sep 2016 at 11:28 PM.

HSC

How to survive at uni?

How to survive at uni

You don't

Thread Information