How to survive at uni? (1 Viewer)

ScienceGuy99

HSC
Hello!

I plan on doing a double degree after I finish year 12, but location is limiting for me. It'd be amazing if I could move out of home and into a small place by myself with as much privacy as possible.

First question: How difficult would it be to juggle a double degree (Bachelor of Genetics/Bachelor of Science (Mathematics)) with a part-time job?

Second question: Is a typical part-time job sufficient to cover rent, food, bills, petrol, etc..? And would its sufficiency in providing me enough money for living increase the difficulty of juggling a double degree with the job?

Thank you very much!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Dude why r u worried about this? You're still in yr 11, slow down, no need for the rush. You can worry about it after the HSC

First question: I think it all comes down to time management

Second question: depends how many hours a week you spend working. I also believe that if you cannot afford sufficient funds to rent a room/apartment of some sort then centrelink can back you up (don't quote me on this though)

Once again, slow down. Focus on your HSC first then worry about uni

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I would recommend maybe looking into online university or job opportunities, it takes away a lot of stress.

ScienceGuy99

HSC
Dude why r u worried about this? You're still in yr 11, slow down, no need for the rush. You can worry about it after the HSC

First question: I think it all comes down to time management

Second question: depends how many hours a week you spend working. I also believe that if you cannot afford sufficient funds to rent a room/apartment of some sort then centrelink can back you up (don't quote me on this though)

Once again, slow down. Focus on your HSC first then worry about uni

I'd like to not worry about it haha but my family is moving state at the end of year 12 and I need to know what I'm doing/where I'm going.

Do you know anyone that has managed to do a double degree, or even a single one, and keep a part-time job while living away from home?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I'd like to not worry about it haha but my family is moving state at the end of year 12 and I need to know what I'm doing/where I'm going.

Do you know anyone that has managed to do a double degree, or even a single one, and keep a part-time job while living away from home?
Nah I don't soz :(

D94

HSC
N/A
It'd be amazing if I could move out of home and into a small place by myself with as much privacy as possible.
Prepare to pay a considerable amount compared to a sharing a house. Have you looked at living on campus?

First question: How difficult would it be to juggle a double degree (Bachelor of Genetics/Bachelor of Science (Mathematics)) with a part-time job?
That depends on your time management.

Second question: Is a typical part-time job sufficient to cover rent, food, bills, petrol, etc..? And would its sufficiency in providing me enough money for living increase the difficulty of juggling a double degree with the job?
Depends on where you live. Why don't you make a budget and see how much you need to spend? You may also need to apply for Centrelink youth allowance just to make ends meet. Do you have any savings?

If you have/need to 'juggle' university and a job, then you don't even need to think about how difficult it might be. You have no choice. All your questions need answers from yourself. No one can answer them for you.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
You survive by breathing oxygen and eating food

Lel

in all srsness i don't think it would be that hard

you just need to make enough to pay rent/bills/food etc.

Since you're planning to do uni part time, working 3 days a week wouldn't be difficult. If you can manage to make $500 a week (net) i think that should be good enough.

Per week
Rent = ~$300
Bills = ~$80
Food= ~$50

wouldn't be so bad

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Also idk why you need petrol

You probably wouldn't be able to afford or maintain a car anyway with a part time income and additional expenses

Flop21

HSC
No, I think it'd be extremely hard.

Depends on the person I guess, but I was doing what you're describing and quit my job as I was flat out working every day with no off days (uni 5 days a week, and working every day off uni + some days AFTER uni). It's really exhausting. Plus you have a lot less time to do uni work/study.

Living out of home is definitely very expensive mainly due to rent. Check out the local rent for what you want, then check out how much you'll be spending on food ect. It might be a good idea to check out some off-campus cheap housing which includes utilities and even internet.

I suggest asking if your parents can partially support you. Investigate what the government can do to help you out (e.g. Youth Allowance). Check out cheap housing. If you absolutely need to work - still do these things ^ to try and keep your working hours to a minimum so you're not flat out.

Money will be tight, and you also must consider if you want to live constantly tight with money (especially when you want to eat out some days, go to events, out with friends etc.)

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Right, considering online is not an option I'll answer the question based on living next to campus. Considering the only uni I know of that does genetics is ANU, I assume you'll be going to Canberra or thereabouts. Honestly, I think working part-time and doing a double-degree fully time (especially so science/maths related) would burn you out and you wouldn't really be able to study that much... I don't mean to be pessimistic or anything, I just have a question, why do you need/want a bachelor of genetics? Is there any back-up plan? I'm sure whatever you choose, it you prioritize and work hard you could achieve it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)