Can I still make it? (1 Viewer)

she talks

HSC
Hi everyone!

I was looking into doing the Flexible Double Law degree at ANU however, with bonus points added, my atar is only 93. I was just wondering whether there was a chance I could still get into ANU Law despite my atar not reaching the cutoff of 97.

Thanks!

she talks

HSC
I didn't! I missed out, but a friend of mine did the LAT and made it in! He didn't even get an atar above 90 so thats cool.

lohtus

HSC
N/A
does the Law Admissions Test (LAT) apply for ANU? I thought it was only for UNSW

Jakulore

HSC
You could still have a shot, don't give up hope!! They won't look down upon you for not having done the LAT because they don't require you to do the LAT :)

TheAbsoluteMadman

HSC
I am in the same boat at the moment. I finished with an ATAR of 94.7 which was a bit below what I hoped for...

HSC
Relax, OP you still did exceptionally well! As for your dilemma, does ANU advertise a 'minimum' ATAR? This is a feature quite a bit of universities have adopted in the wake of the (SMH?) article that exposed how so many of them were admitting people well under the cut-off. This would be a helpful indicator.

In any event, I look at it this way. Your score means you are near the top of the state (or close to it). Out of those thousands of people, how many want to do Law? A quick browse of the top students on the Distinguished Achievers list at places like James Ruse shows *a lot* of top-scoring students with subjects like Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics Extension. While these do not exclude a student from pursuing law, you'd think that the preference of these people would be to a more openly Science-y or Maths-like degree.

Next, how many of those students will want to do Law at your specific university? Although ANU is well-respected for its distinguished law school, it *is* in Canberra, not exactly the most accessible location, even for a Sydneysider. This means that the competition is perhaps a little less fierce than comparable city universities.

Both of these questions narrow down the competition somewhat and mean you have a real shot at getting in IMO, even though you are under the cut-off. However, allow me to emphasise the fact that this is all simply conjecture off the top of my head; nothing I say is fact. All I'm just trying to do is put some ideas out there for you to think about.

Good luck and best wishes! :)

TheAbsoluteMadman

HSC
Upon further reading your situation doesn't look good. There are no bonus points at ANU for Flexible double law this year and the ATAR cut off has increased to 98.

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
Strongly Doubt it tbh,
Do arts for a year and aim for a D/HD average then try to transfer

TheAbsoluteMadman

HSC
Out of curiosity, what would say my chances would be like considering my ATAR is 94.7? It's 3.3 short of the ATAR cut off...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)