Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: why anu?

Executive Member
    HSC

Re: why anu?

Short answer no - Thrusday night is uni party night (and it goes off), friday/saturday has more townies in the scene. It's no sydney (where you can go out every night of the week to club), but its not some hole. Also your college will organise social events too. TBH each hall has 2-500 students, and theres over 6 of them, theres plenty of students to party.

HSC

Bolkonski or others,
    if there are way less undergrad places for 2008 does that mean that the UAI's will go up?

Executive Member
    HSC

It's usually based on supply and demand. There are a constant number of places, but if there are 300 people for 100 spots, then yes the uai will increase. Last year it was a guarantee that a 75 uai would get you into (almost anything) - i was trying to find the page on the anu website, but i couldnt find it. Sorry i cant be any more help - perhaps call anu admissions and ask.

HSC

so is there a way of finding out how many or at least getting a general idea of how many people applied for either a university or a particular course and then based on the fact that the number of places will stay the same knowing what direction the UAI will change. if i rang ANU admissions and asked them how many people have applied for a particular course would they give me an answer? I doubt it. Thanx anyway.

Executive Member
    HSC

no but they would say what the projected uai is, and what last years UAI is, you can work out if they're expecting a greater number of students or not.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ambrose1
    so is there a way of finding out how many or at least getting a general idea of how many people applied for either a university or a particular course and then based on the fact that the number of places will stay the same knowing what direction the UAI will change. if i rang ANU admissions and asked them how many people have applied for a particular course would they give me an answer? I doubt it. Thanx anyway.
    what course are you applying for? i could give you a pretty damn accurate prediction because ANU's scores tend to be pretty static.

also the popularity of some degrees can range from 10 (maybe something shitty like B Archeological Practice) applicants to 700 (B Comm).

HSC

i'm want to get into commerce/economics, but commerce or economics straight would be good enough.
    i'm a bit sceptical of your claim that the UAI's are static cos they went down by about 8 points from the previos year. however you may have inside information and i really hope that you're right. 75 seems ridiculously low for a top uni.
    thanx for ur help.

Executive Member
    HSC

I think my mate does that course, ill ask him when he comes online for last years UAI.

Executive Member
    HSC

he said 75 was the uai last year, but hes heard "rumours" of it going up to 83. I would call up anu and ask out-right. See if they can give you an answer.

He also said they base the uai for a combined degree on the highest UAI of the two (if that makes sense)
    Sorry i cant help any more than that.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ambrose1
    i'm want to get into commerce/economics, but commerce or economics straight would be good enough.
    i'm a bit sceptical of your claim that the UAI's are static cos they went down by about 8 points from the previos year. however you may have inside information and i really hope that you're right. 75 seems ridiculously low for a top uni.
    thanx for ur help.
    i'm pretty sure it'll be 75 this year. last year ANU offered guaranteed entry to its courses even before they had any indication of the number of enrolments for the year.

HSC

so many top scholars...even I'm form UNSW...I like ANU...

HSC

I read somewhere tht cutoffs are getting raised to 85.00.

EDIT: i emailed ANU admin about this but havent had a reply yet..
    Last edited by xsjado; 13 Jul 2008 at 4:35 PM.

HSC

Red face Re: why anu?

I really want to go to ANU, but I'm in NSW and I don't know how I'll cope with living in college or just independently. I'll also be leaving all my friends and family behind.:worried:

Nah, just kidding, I have the full support of my parents.

I'm planning to do a Bachelor of Arts in Music and then doing Postgraduate Medicine. Any advice anyone?

I didn't really decide on ANU until today, but by instinct, ANU just seems to be perfect for me.

And to ambrose1, the UAI for BCommerce at ANU is still 75.00 according to the 2009 UAC guide

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by xsjado
    I read somewhere that cutoffs are getting raised to 85.00.
    From what i understand the UAI for 2007 was 75, the UAI for 2008 has not been confirmed yet.

(however that means it has been 75 for 2 years straight)

King and Tyrant
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sparkerasp
    I really want to go to ANU, but I'm in NSW and I don't know how I'll cope with living in college or just independently. I'll also be leaving all my friends and family behind.:worried:

Nah, just kidding, I have the full support of my parents.

I'm planning to do a Bachelor of Arts in Music and then doing Postgraduate Medicine. Any advice anyone?

I didn't really decide on ANU until today, but by instinct, ANU just seems to be perfect for me.

And to ambrose1, the UAI for BCommerce at ANU is still 75.00 according to the 2009 UAC guide
    Please check on the prerequisited for postgraduate medicine. You might need to meet some prerequisites in your undergraduate degree before you are allowed to enrol

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by khing
    Please check on the prerequisited for postgraduate medicine. You might need to meet some prerequisites in your undergraduate degree before you are allowed to enrol
    x2

HSC

Question Re: why anu?

Hey people.

I'm in a bit of a big dilemma at the moment (please, no complaining or whinging about how I shouldn't be such an idiot and to start making up my own decisions because I'm torn between two worlds at the moment).

I am currently completing my A.Mus.A piano with my wonderful piano teacher in NSW. The problem is, I don't want to part with her. So, my plan is to drive up to Sydney every Saturday/Sunday (or every second week depending on what suits) for a piano lesson and then drive down again afterwards.

How long does it take for someone to drive from Sydney to Canberra vice versa on the weekends with a 90km/h speed cap? Does anyone think it's worth it?

I really want to go to ANU (it's my hearts desire), but so is my piano teacher (no suggestions about changing piano teachers please). I'm more than happy to make the drive, but do you think I'll snap after a while?

P.S. thinking of taking a course in Commerce, Science or (preferably) Music if that helps with your opinions.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sparkerasp
    Hey people.

I'm in a bit of a big dilemma at the moment (please, no complaining or whinging about how I shouldn't be such an idiot and to start making up my own decisions because I'm torn between two worlds at the moment).

I am currently completing my A.Mus.A piano with my wonderful piano teacher in NSW. The problem is, I don't want to part with her. So, my plan is to drive up to Sydney every Saturday/Sunday (or every second week depending on what suits) for a piano lesson and then drive down again afterwards.

How long does it take for someone to drive from Sydney to Canberra vice versa on the weekends with a 90km/h speed cap? Does anyone think it's worth it?

I really want to go to ANU (it's my hearts desire), but so is my piano teacher (no suggestions about changing piano teachers please). I'm more than happy to make the drive, but do you think I'll snap after a while?

P.S. thinking of taking a course in Commerce, Science or (preferably) Music if that helps with your opinions.
    You'll get tired of the trip and the costs in about a month. Personally, I'd drop the idea. How long is it going to take you to complete your music program (is that what I should be calling it?) because as long as it isn't years, I'd consider deferring or a mid-year enrolment.

King and Tyrant
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy-Blue
    You'll get tired of the trip and the costs in about a month. Personally, I'd drop the idea. How long is it going to take you to complete your music program (is that what I should be calling it?) because as long as it isn't years, I'd consider deferring or a mid-year enrolment.
    The drive is around 3 hours, and yes I would agree with Sammy-Blue on this one. Costs and tedium will not help you with either programs.

Try exploring other flexibilities alternatives with your current music program, for example intensive lessons during the breaks or perhaps distance learning (audio/video link perhaps?)

HSC
    N/A

330km exactly from ANU to the North Shore. I agree with the above posts - going back every weekend is a big commitment, time and money strain. However i know someone that does it (they taker the greyhound bus) - but i feel it affects their social life at college - an important aspect of the uni experience.

hilaryv

1) lower uai cut-offs, thank god.... 2) great international law electives 3) ability to major in development studies in arts.......

hopefully will be there!!!

HSC

lol.

+cos its NO.1 IN AUSTRALIA AND THE ASIAN PACIFIC REGION, NO.16 in the world, so HIGH prestige! =D

+low cut off scores (hoping that 94.6 can get me into law anyways)

=D

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by XDXD View Post
    +low cut off scores (hoping that 94.6 can get me into law anyways)
    this year it'll be a maybe

95.5 to get into law.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jas0nt View Post
    this year it'll be a maybe

95.5 to get into law.
    "maybe", is there really any chances to make the cut? =/
    well, i wont be in anu this year anyways, it's 2011 for me =D
    haha

well my other offers are:
    UWA and Monash, B of Commerce/Arts

I SAY REJECT!

ANU ALL THE WAY! =P

Cadet
    HSC

Re: why ANU?

Quote Originally Posted by paper cup View Post
    ^.

Most people prefer UNSW or whatever.
    My reasons are similiar to ziff's, etc. Now you guys post.

Edit: sorry I meant ANU my other hand was preoccupied with a stack of books ready to fall onto the ground.
    Edit edit: lol I suck editted now

why do u have a little BOS symbol next to ur name OP?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information