Problems with dorm offers anyone? (1 Viewer)

Himezaki

Teh Train Ninja!
HSC
Well i applied for fenner and got my academic offer but still no dorm offer :( , i called up the uni and they said i applied late.....*lol i was the 9438th applicant* but i would be guarenteed a place and an offer will be made on monday. They changed my first choice to second preference in my application after the day of the offers...bah, i have no idea what's happening.

But then my friend who applied on the last day got into his first choice - B and G.

And 2 of my friends who applied for catered where tossed into the AISC? some hotel in another uni and they were told that there are no more places in the other dorms...

Anyone with similar problems???

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
That's very strange...I applied towards the end and got into B&G (my first pref) straight away. Maybe it's Fenner in particular that's having problems, because it seems like everyone's getting into B&G pretty easily. The only thing I can think of is maybe you should send in a reference and a list of your academic/sporting/cultural achievements. I know they don't ask for them, but I'm sure it would help your application along greatly, the halls and colleges are pretty competitive and want to pick the best residents. So talk yourself up!

speake53

I got into Fenner Hall. I applied sorta earlier rather than later. Anyone else going to Fenner?

Afurotsu

HSC
N/A
NO, WHO WANTS TO GO TO FENNER HALL :S... ;) j/k

I made it into my first preference, and I applied pretty late. Perhaps you should call them up and get to know what the situation is.

Himezaki

Teh Train Ninja!
HSC
yeh i did that...lol i'm guarenteed accomodation is all they told me

my first preference was B and G - and i applied pretty late. My friend on the other hand applied LATER than me...i think the 16th and he put B and G as first choice as well - HE GOT INTO B and G.

I'm beginning to think its not on a first come first serve basis for non-catered. I think its based on what subjects you are doing and a hint of randomness. But the people who applied late for catered - they end up at the AISC hotel.

I was told i'm should get it by monday...*crosses fingers i get into fenner my 2nd choice*

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i applied the first day u culd, and put ursula first, B&G second and like bruce 3rd....i got an offer at AIHS, thus, i am no longer going to ANU because they screwed me over

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Oh no! We lost a member of the Law club before we even started! Townie, did you send references? Couldn't you try doing that and then ring them up and at least try and talk to someone about it? None of these things are set in concrete, some people are goin to reject their offers etc. Write a letter!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Im having the exact problem Himezaki. My first pref. was B&G and i've recieved no offer. The website says i've been transfered to my second pref, but when I rang up the guy said I was still being considered for B&G for some unbenounced reason.
We need this like a bullet in the head.

Himezaki

Teh Train Ninja!
HSC
Townie, you applied on the first day???...and didn't get it? Whats your application number? *its in chronological order with applications for dorms at anu*

The AISC hotel is a dorm in another college which focuses on the hospitality industry. 2 of my friends were shoved there for putting catered dorms as their first choice - From what i heard its pretty far and on the other side of the artifical lake.

I got 'academic offer made' on my dorm application - ahhhh nothing to do but to wait.

IronWoman, did they tell you when you might get your offer? I was told monday but i'm going to ask around on PEA day -

I think these people are >2 steps ahead of us - wait for us to accept their university offer and then assign us to random dorms. I bet you the 'preferences of dorm' option was a ploy designed by ANU public relations.

mayhemily

HSC
WELL this is what happened to me: 1st pref: Ursula Hall, applied in October. Made other preferences as well. Recieved offer: "Congratulations! you have been accepted into accomodation at the AIHS" (Hurrah! some place I have never heard of! Thats off campus! And at least $30 a week more than had been anticipated!) So I rang up the guy, he explained it all, big demand ra ra ra i missed out but this place is good. Fair enough. Then tonight, I find out my friend, who applied 2 WEEKS AGO got accepted to ursula. I'm so mad. Im going to be mad at the relevant people tomorrow.

Poker_Face

HSC
Himezaki said:
I got 'academic offer made' on my dorm application - ahhhh nothing to do but to wait.
does 'academic offer made' mean anything?
it just basically means u got offered a course to study at anu and they will offer u some accom soon....that could mean they will throw u in AISC or AIHS or somewhere else random

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
mayhemily said:
WELL this is what happened to me: 1st pref: Ursula Hall, applied in October. Made other preferences as well. Recieved offer: "Congratulations! you have been accepted into accomodation at the AIHS" (Hurrah! some place I have never heard of! Thats off campus! And at least $30 a week more than had been anticipated!) So I rang up the guy, he explained it all, big demand ra ra ra i missed out but this place is good. Fair enough. Then tonight, I find out my friend, who applied 2 WEEKS AGO got accepted to ursula. I'm so mad. Im going to be mad at the relevant people tomorrow.
Ursula/Johns/Burgmann are selective.

Paroissien

HSC
What do they use to select though? They know virtually nothing about us

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
That's why you have to pre-empt them and just send in a letter about your skills/achievements blah blah blah. I think that's the only reason I got into B&G, because I applied in the last week of applications. You have to give them a reason to want you, otherwise it's just pot luck.

Paroissien

HSC
I applied in the first week of applications and got my first preference, so I assumed it was first come, first served, but it sounds like its not... Interesting

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yep. I applied on the first day that the accommodation applications opened *and I got an offer. Seems that it's not first come first serve from what other people say*.

Tell me, I've had correspondence with ANU quite a few times and I was offerred accommodation. My mate, who applied very late, has also had a lot of correspondence with ANU - asking questions, talking to the Arts faculty a lot etc. The people who got nothing never attended an ANU Explore Arts day or put their names down on a mailing list? It might be a long shot, but it's a theory :p

*I think it sounded a bit misleading - check the quote in neo_o's :p

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Ziff said:
Yep. I applied on the first day that the accommodation applications opened. Seems that it's not first come first serve...

Tell me, I've had correspondence with ANU quite a few times and I was offerred accommodation. My mate, who applied very late, has also had a lot of correspondence with ANU - asking questions, talking to the Arts faculty a lot etc. The people who got nothing never attended an ANU Explore Arts day or put their names down on a mailing list? It might be a long shot, but it's a theory :p
I'm not sure, but perhaps people who applied for a college like Ursies or Johns were at an advantage? We had to write a few bits and pieces and submit information about ourselves. Perhaps even if we didn't get into Johns, this information was then shared with halls etc that don't have admissions procedures.

For the record I applied in the last few days, and got my second choice Bruce (first choice was Johns)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)