Newcastle Uni - turning shit. (1 Viewer)

Mr Will

HSC
now this is only my second year at uni so I dont want to be too hasty in judging...but in all of my subjects it seems that the lecturers arent effective in communicating the subject materials, they dont bother trying to explain things when people dont understand them, dont respond to emails etc etc.
in combination with tutes now being once a fortnight instead of once a week, im struggling to find justification in the cost of subjects these days

anyone have thoughts?

Just Click It

HSC
lol the con (music "dept") is like the total opposite. You can ask any lecturer/professor out to the pub 24/7 and they'll have a yarn with you... and the teaching is very good... especially my cello professor :D

DO MUSIC!

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
business lecturers and tutors seem pretty ok.

they always explain things till ppl get them - mostly in microeconomics and statistics for business.

although my into to managment and OB lecturer has been lazy with uploading lecture slides lately - he uploaded them at 4:30pm when the lecture is at 6 that night, and every1 is already at uni, so u have to do the whole put money on ur card thing..

but he just uploaded all chapters so its ok now :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Mr Will said:
now this is only my second year at uni so I dont want to be too hasty in judging...but in all of my subjects it seems that the lecturers arent effective in communicating the subject materials, they dont bother trying to explain things when people dont understand them, dont respond to emails etc etc.
in combination with tutes now being once a fortnight instead of once a week, im struggling to find justification in the cost of subjects these days

anyone have thoughts?
Haha, let me guess, you have had the pleasure of meeting some of the following: James Zhang, Janet Dzator, Akhtar Hossain or Andrew Nadolny? If so you better start making good friends with your textbooks:p.

I think James is a pretty bad teacher and coupled with his bad English you don't learn much from him. Ditto for Janet but she is about three times worse. Akhtar is quite a good teacher once you get used to his accent (it took me about two thirds of a semester) and he also speaks a bit too fast. Finally, Andrew Nadolny, well just when I thought it couldn't get any worse than Janet along came Andrew. I didn't even bother attending his lectures/tutorials after a couple of weeks. He literally doesn't know the content and I ended up learning the subject completely from the textbook:read:.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Gibbo69er said:
s.

although my into to managment and OB lecturer has been lazy with uploading lecture slides lately - he uploaded them at 4:30pm when the lecture is at 6 that night, and every1 is already at uni, so u have to do the whole put money on ur card thing...
haha 1.5 hours before the lecture??? thats awesome!!! ours usually go up 20mins before!!!

Mr Will

HSC
SoCal said:
Haha, let me guess, you have had the pleasure of meeting some of the following: James Zhang, Janet Dzator, Akhtar Hossain or Andrew Nadolny? If so you better start making good friends with your textbooks:p.

I think James is a pretty bad teacher and coupled with his bad English you don't learn much from him. Ditto for Janet but she is about three times worse. Akhtar is quite a good teacher once you get used to his accent (it took me about two thirds of a semester) and he also speaks a bit too fast. Finally, Andrew Nadolny, well just when I thought it couldn't get any worse than Janet along came Andrew. I didn't even bother attending his lectures/tutorials after a couple of weeks. He literally doesn't know the content and I ended up learning the subject completely from the textbook:read:.

holy shit i didnt realise it would be that obvious - youre right, i had andrew last year, janet and ahktar"what-if-we-use-a-bannana-as-currency? or-a-horse?' now, james is to come shortly.

ive never much fancied lectures, but what really made me feel this way was when the tutes started being a waste of time too. and also (no offence to those who do not fit this description) freakin american students that are so dumb its not funny, eg "i dont understand the concept of flexibility", that hold tutes up so noone else gets to ask questions and the tutor doesnt get through anything

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Gibbo69er said:
although my into to managment and OB lecturer has been lazy with uploading lecture slides lately - he uploaded them at 4:30pm when the lecture is at 6 that night, and every1 is already at uni, so u have to do the whole put money on ur card thing..
Be greatful you get them at all.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Mr Will said:
ive never much fancied lectures, but what really made me feel this way was when the tutes started being a waste of time too. and also (no offence to those who do not fit this description) freakin american students that are so dumb its not funny, eg "i dont understand the concept of flexibility", that hold tutes up so noone else gets to ask questions and the tutor doesnt get through anything
Yeah, most of the tutorials are pretty worthless apart from Akhtar's, where you do actually learn a bit once you get used to his accent. I love Americans:cool:.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
The worst thing about the uni is the students. All my lecturers are excellent, and they'd be even more so if the morons in the lectures would shut the fuck up sometimes.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
seriously, all the dumb people from EVERYWHERE come to newcastle cos the uais are rock bottom but its still a decent uni

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
could it be some sort of government conspiracy? i mean, send all the dumb kids to newcastle, have them infected with a disease carried by mosquitos, improve the gene pool?

Did anyone else have those "no War" nutters start proclaiming thier propaganda before their lectures today about the anniversary of the invasion of iraq or something. LOL, and the "protest" :D

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Meh, I'm happy with most of my courses.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Emily. said:
seriously, all the dumb people from EVERYWHERE come to newcastle cos the uais are rock bottom but its still a decent uni
So, that explains why the OT UAI cutoff for Newcastle is constantly 10-20 points higher than every other uni in the state?

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Emily. said:
Thats bullshit. Sorry, but it just is. How about using UNE as an example? The majority of people from my school that actually got a uni offer got one from UNE in the principals reccomendation scheme. They accepted it becos they couldnt go anywhere else.

Ok, so ive been at uni 5 weeks and im already defending the intellect of the students. All the same, that was a dumb generalisation (ok ok ok :eek:)

RE the protest, i walked along the top balcony of the achmuty and looked down and saw some painted flag with "Queer Bloo" on it??? And a red umbrella holding the end down? What was with that? I thought it was about war?

While im here..i dont think theres much complaining to do about my lectures. I like everything, although some can be boring. But otherwise, i think everyone does a pretty good job. Im not convinced that PASS for Biomed is helping much, but we shall see.

Im done now :D

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
I have Chris. I guess its ok, early days yet, im sure once we get into the much harder stuff it will be a god-send. Question, i am only doing HUBS for the next 2 years...considering doing it additional for the remaining 2 -- good idea or not? Plenty of time to decide i know, but advice is always good :)

Edit:
Captain_Gh3y said:
The worst thing about the uni is the students. All my lecturers are excellent, and they'd be even more so if the morons in the lectures would shut the fuck up sometimes.
i intended to ask in my earlier post...but what degree are you doing? I agree though, ive already had a lecturer walk out and appeared ready to a second time. Pisses me off.

Last edited:

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
I like when people blame the uni for the fact that they have made a bad decision regarding what degree program they undertake. Uni is what you make of it.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I promise you, PASS is the best thing ever! My 1404 (with PASS) mark was something like 16 marks higher than my 1403 (traditional tutes) mark.

Mind you, that may have a little something to do with the fact that that in 1404, the material was [marginally] less feral, I only had 1 HUBS course instead of 2, and I didn't have to go on prac in weeks 12-13 (ie, coming back in time for Stuvac). Die, HUBS, die.

All that being said, I still think PASS is really good. Particularly if you have Nena.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)