on campus accomodation (1 Viewer)

HSC
me and my boyfriend are both coming next year, and i was wondering if theres any way that we could get a on campus room together. i know that the hall that starts with b (bara sumthin) is for more than one person, but do they give rooms out when someone leaves and u cant pick and choose/??????

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
You are referring to Barahineban. You would be able to share a room there.

You will be able to apply in September. If in doubt call the college office they will be able to help you with your application.

magchem07

Open Up!
HSC
Id appreciate it if some one could tell me whether all colleges r boys and girls or there r some colleges only for girls?and if there is not any ,does it mean your next door can be either boy or girl?

Thank you

Justine2408

HSC
They are all Unisex. Evatt and International House have units with common loungerooms, kitchens and bathrooms with separate bedrooms, so you would be sharing the units with both males and females. Edwards Hall has both unit and the old style college and Barahineban is single self contained rooms.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
Teds is fully mixed sexes, in main hall you share common bathroom with both sexes. It is possible to get a room with its own bathroom.

magchem07

Open Up!
HSC
Thanks to u both,
and
on open day can I have a look at these colleges?

and my other Q was , How students are distributed in the colleges?I mean can u say that most science students r at college A or medis at C,or Art ppl at College B?

your answers are really impo for me,

Thanks in advance

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
there is no predominance of any particular degree at a particular college. You can apply to any college you want so they dont say "you are doin nursing, so you go to A".

To have a look at the colleges:
1. Rock up and someone will show you around if you goto the office.
2. Have a look at the websites there are photos of the rooms there.

moz

Med Student
HSC
open day is 10th Sept, and all colleges will be giving tours.

and yes they are all co-ed.. but so wat? honestly having to share a bathroom with a member of the opposite sex isn't that big a deal, u still get your own room.

and the biggest difference between the 3 main colleges (i exclude Bara... sorry bob! but bara aint really a 'college'... more motel style really) is the level of catering and setup of rooms.

Evatt: no catering, 10 ppl per unit, shared living room and kitchen between 10, bathrooms shared between 5 ppl on each hallway off living room. good social atmosphere. $120/wk

International House: (IH) the same physical setup, but catered for Dinner on monday's to fridays, has best food out of the 2 catered colleges. you cook for yourself breaky, lunch and all meals on weekends. dinner is served in IH dining hall, however each unit still has a fully functional kitchen. good social atmosphere. $158/wk

Edwards Hall: (Teds)... setup dorm style, 3 stories high, 20 ppl per corridor. bathroom (5ish showers) shared between hallway. catered for breakfast and dinner all week, and all 3 meals on weekends. food is still edible, although ted's residents love whinging about it. for extra $$$ you can get a larger room in a quiet wing of the college with air con, ensuite and TV. good social atmosphere
$185/wk

all depends on what u want! i'm in IH and thus biased, but got tons of mates all throughout all 4 colleges, and theres plenty for, and against, each college. depends on what kind of experience your after, and your budget, as for which college you'll go for!

come check them out on open day!

-drjekyll

moz

Med Student
HSC
oh and i'll echo mrbassman, ppl of every degree live everywhere. obviously a few more med students live in bara cause it's dead quiet.. but they're mainly 3rd yrs onwards or internationals. i'm doing med in IH and it's been completely fine for last few yrs, same with ppl in Teds and evatt.

Aime Fantasy

HSC
So expensive! I've been paying $55/week (shared room though... though it is living room size) for a house 17 minutes walk from the cbd. On sept 2nd I'll be moving into a house (very decent!) in birminham gardens for $60 a week. That DOES mean I'll have to cycle into town everytime I have a lecture/rehersal/lesson because music is at the cbd, but meh... I'd rather that then be paying a ton of cash to wherever/whoever. You can try and find a REALLY good deal through the uni website (I think they have advertisements online) if you're strapped for cash. Try and wait for a good deal if you're prepared to wait a few days.

Lise M

HSC
Was wondering how hard it is to get into Evatt, been told it's one of the most popular colleges at newie. If i have a really good application (school captain, state sport, doing physio) u reckon it would be that hard for me to get in? Also wondering - got nothing to do with accomodation but what are the big nights for going out for uni kids? heard that u should get mondays off when figuring out timetables and wednesday is another big night on the town.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
Lise M said:
Was wondering how hard it is to get into Evatt, been told it's one of the most popular colleges at newie. If i have a really good application (school captain, state sport, doing physio) u reckon it would be that hard for me to get in? Also wondering - got nothing to do with accomodation but what are the big nights for going out for uni kids? heard that u should get mondays off when figuring out timetables and wednesday is another big night on the town.

lol @ evatt

if your app is good you will get in no trouble.

big nights wed fri and sat predominately

get thursday morning off not that you have a lot of choice in 1st year. monday off is just for long weekends and to recover from "recovery"

good luck

jenni_k

HSC
pfft as if evatt isnt awesome!!!!

hi lise, ill be female sports coordinator this year at evatt and its an awesome place to be.

if you dont get in straight away (which you should know by now i think) then keep coming in 2 see if people have transfered to another college and there may be some free rooms. no harm in letting us know you are still interested.

anyways, maybe ill see u in O week.

best of luck.

endymion

HSC
How does the application process work? What are they looking for exactly? I don’t think I have anything that impressive to put of the form, 2nds Volleyball isn’t that good! You could apply to all the colleges to be on the safe side, right?

edit: ..this would be for next year

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
you can apply to all colleges.

The process is you fill in your application and submit it. There is not much to do then but wait. Some colleges used to do interviews but that would be very hard nowadays.

As a new student, following from my colleges intake for this year:
- Top 10 or so UAI of those that applied to the college
- Community involvement.
- Music / Sport / etc
- Not Law :D;)
- Son of the PM of Kenya or something. Prince of Zimbabwe or similar :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)