Teaching (Arts) at UNCLE... (1 Viewer)

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Hi everyone.

About a month ago I submitted a UAC application to University and Teaching (Arts) at UNCLE is 3rd on my preferences. I'd like to know from anyone out there taking the course what's involved basically, what the lectures and tutes are about, placement etc.. as I have barely any idea of what it entails. It's of course the secondary education course. If you could outline what you do in your first year that'd be sweet!

Anything about this would be very much appreciated!

Thank you and goodbye students of UNCLE :)
Lanelle

rific

HSC
If you mean Fine Arts, I can't help you too much, but I'm just finishing up my teaching/arts degree here.

Real quick, you'll do two strands of study: education based, so ed psych, teaching and learning strategies, etc, and you'll do your arts degree at the same time, so that might be English, Lote, HSIE courses so on, which is where you'll cover things to do with the content of what you're teaching.

Placement for us secondary people invovles a few observations in first year, a 4 week prac in both 2nd and 3rd year, and a 10 week internship in 4th year. This is above the legal requirement for secondary teacher training courses, so UNCLE does at least one thing right.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
rific said:
If you mean Fine Arts, I can't help you too much, but I'm just finishing up my teaching/arts degree here.

Real quick, you'll do two strands of study: education based, so ed psych, teaching and learning strategies, etc, and you'll do your arts degree at the same time, so that might be English, Lote, HSIE courses so on, which is where you'll cover things to do with the content of what you're teaching.

Placement for us secondary people invovles a few observations in first year, a 4 week prac in both 2nd and 3rd year, and a 10 week internship in 4th year. This is above the legal requirement for secondary teacher training courses, so UNCLE does at least one thing right.
Oooh perfect, it's arts alright!
Awww that sounds good.
I hope I get in!

rific

HSC
It is a pretty good degree, well, it has it's moments if nothing else.

Haha, and good luck getting in, but I'm sure you'd prefer getting into your 1st or 2nd preference, yes?

Best of luck.

rific

HSC
Don't ruin the surprise.

And I can happily say that the cash in term 4 of fourth year makes up for any dodginess in first year.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
rific said:
It is a pretty good degree, well, it has it's moments if nothing else.

Haha, and good luck getting in, but I'm sure you'd prefer getting into your 1st or 2nd preference, yes?

Best of luck.
It is my 2nd preference
but my UAI's looking to be pretty shit due to some bad trial marks etc etc I could go on and .... anyway... See it's been a passion of mine from the time I wanted to be an astronaut... it was my backup.... Maybe it's just me but there's something so appealing about it :| :)

gowie

HSC
Its probably a few months late but...

I am somewhat torn between choosing B Science if I am offered it in subsequent rounds at newy, See the thing is, I didnt particularly enjoy science in yr 12. (Already offered B arts at Newy)

On the otherhand, I liked the Arts subjects during hsc, eg. religious studies or even Anc history for 3 terms in prelim wasnt half bad either, now considering this id probably choose the histories as majors but havin known very little about them will i have been worse off lacking the prior knowledge?

In case u didnt fully understand my pyscho babble; should i do something i hate but know, or something im interested in but know v.little about?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
If you hate science then don't do it. Personally, I can think of better things to do with 3 years of my life than on something I hate.

As for not knowing a lot about history, well, the idea is to change that in 3(+) years. Just because you don't know that the Great Wall of China was built to keep rabbits out yet, doesn't mean you're doomed to fail at uni.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
rific said:
And I can happily say that the cash in term 4 of fourth year makes up for any dodginess in first year.
Ignoring the fact that if you did a regular single degree course, you would have graduated already and could easily be on $40'000+ per year :D

gowie

HSC
darkliight said:
If you hate science then don't do it. Personally, I can think of better things to do with 3 years of my life than on something I hate.

As for not knowing a lot about history, well, the idea is to change that in 3(+) years. Just because you don't know that the Great Wall of China was built to keep rabbits out yet, doesn't mean you're doomed to fail at uni.
Hey thanks darkliight, you've been a big help :shy:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Graney said:
Ignoring the fact that if you did a regular single degree course, you would have graduated already and could easily be on $40'000+ per year :D
Or in your 3rd year and not finished uni, earning $70k a year net. :D

gowie

HSC
From an employment point of view, what would be the ideal selection majors, minors, electives, etc.? Just curious, ultimately I'll do what i want to do.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Graney said:
How do I get involved in this scheme?
You know people in a particular finance sector (perhaps they lectured one of your courses) that has extremely high demand, and you're able to negotiate/dictate rates of pay.

Summary:
Networking ftw. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)