Need some advice on Engineering and CompSc (1 Viewer)

aaron.mac

HSC
Hi everyone,

I need some advice on courses at uni of newcastle - I plan to study either Engineering or CompSc in 2008.. Any answers to the questions below would be greatly appreciated..

The questions I have are:

- What would be best for mining? Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) or Bachelor of Engineering (Mining) Transfer program? ( I know what your thinking ... dur Mining!) However I don't really want to do 2 yrs at another uni, so would civil get me similar/equivilent qualifications?

What are the employment prospects for people with the civil engineering degree @ newcastle? would you get a job in mining around the hunter, or anywhere is AUS? (mining first, any other jobs second)

-What is the BEng(telecommunications) and BEng(Mechanical) degrees like? they are my other two choices for engineering.. what do you guys think who are doing these courses??

-Who does CompSc? is it a worthwhile degree?? i have heard that CompSc doesn't have a lot of employment oppurtunities when you get out - is this true?

- The Maths - is it really super hard? I did general maths, so i am going to do a bridging course to get up to speed.. would this be enough?? any recommendations?

And the Last..

Who else is going in 2008? I am deferring for a year to work (however i am one year younger that most - 18 this year so i don't miss out on much).. wanna hear from people on the mid north coast, just to see what the interest is like.. particularly for engineering and CompSc..

thanks!!

Last edited:

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
Mining: only do mining if you have a sponsor and you might not like leaving all your friends after two years. i know someone who transferred to civil so he didn't have to goto Sydney. doing civil makes you a civil engineer. Clive started a civil degree mail him about it.

Jobs: Plenty of jobs in the hunter. big money is offered to goto back of Queensland and WA.

Telecomms/Mech: Many count telecomms as the hardest Eng degree at Newcastle. not sure about job prospects. Mech is a good degree academics are good.

CompSci: is only good for jobs if you do honors after. most end up as web design and database crap.

Math: you definitely need the bridging course. there is a lot of math but i wouldn't call it hard. if you put in the effort in 1110 and 1120 you will be fine. once again Clive does math. there is a thread somewhere where Clive and myself discuss first year subjects.

Good Luck

Join FRAT!

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
CompSci is ok, but nothing to write home about.

You only need to do 3 maths subjects for compsci, and they're all first year, but buckle down in your bridging course. I was in a similar situation and from experience, the more effort you put into that bridging course, the easier the other subjects will be.

I can't speak much about the eng, but as far as I know it's three maths subjects too, 2 first year and a second year subject. Same deal though, more work in the bridging course will pay off.

Have fun

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
I can speak about engineering (I'm doing B.eng (civil)/B.math)) I think you should be able to get through first and second year math with a little effort, it's not that bad and there is always help available if you need it (Free maths tutoring is available via the maths clinic)

If you are 100% certain that you want to do mining engineer as a career do the mining transfer program. If you are not 100% sure then i would recommend that you do civil because you can (eventually) get into the mining industry with your civil qualifications or do some other discipline of civil engineering (structural, water etc) if you change your mind during your degree.

job prospects are excellent for civil engineers around the hunter. Im not completely sure about mining companies though but i think if you had a b.eng(civil) they would be keen to employ you.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
i agree they are just as keen for civil as mining.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
aaron.mac said:
- The Maths - is it really super hard? I did general maths, so i am going to do a bridging course to get up to speed.. would this be enough?? any recommendations?
If you couldn't handle doing 3unit maths in high school, I wouldn't even bother attempting to do any of the telecom/elec/comp engineering programs.

mrbassman said:
Many count telecomms as the hardest Eng degree at Newcastle.
Haha, really?

aaron.mac

HSC
Gday again.. managed to read all your replies, and decided between civil and mining (i have been accepted, and can decide in a year or two)

the next thing is.. accommodation.. which on-campus site at callaghan is the best for engineering students? do they choose a particular one?

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
not really. But i would recommend edwards hall because there are so many students there you are bound to find a lot of other people in your year doing engineering, as well as students in years above you that can help you with uni work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)