newcastle uni (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
What kind of expenses do prospective students face? Like, how much is on-campus accomodation cost? Are part time jobs difficult to find? Are there any large specialty stores (eg Borders)?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Unfortunately, I do not know how much it costs to live on campus:(.

Lexicographer, part time jobs are quite easy to find in Newcastle, in fact I think I am going to get one when I finish the H.S.C. There are plenty of speciality stores around like David Jones etc.:).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
FOUR meals a week?

...where do you get the others then?

I am assuming this is similar to a residential college where you don't have your own kitchen facilities, mind. Because I love to cook, and a kitchen would be a huge sweetener for me.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
There are fully equipped kitchens in each unit. Each unit basically consists of 10 seperate bedroom/study areas, a communal lounge room (with TV) and kitchen, and 2 bathrooms. It is a really good set up having meals provided 4 nights a week (monday-thursday) coz you tend to get sick of the campus food after a while, and cooking your own meals is good fun.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
EXCELLENT! Much better than the residential colleges at Sydney and UNSW. Here you get all your food from the colleges, because there's only the one kitchen and you can't use it :p

Bloody cheap up there too...pity there's no Kinokuniya. :(

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
you can either go off campus, newcastle has heaps of restaurants, cafes, pubs and various other eateries where you can find really good meals, cook your own, or there is a huge dining area with every sort of food possible, and it is REALLY cheap

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
you can either go off campus, newcastle has heaps of restaurants, cafes, pubs and various other eateries where you can find really good meals, cook your own, or there is a huge dining area with every sort of food possible, and it is REALLY cheap
Where is that:confused:?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
Where is that:confused:?
im not sure of the exact location, my 'host' student took me there when i was there for a day following them around..from memory it is somewhere on the Hunter side.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
im not sure of the exact location, my 'host' student took me there when i was there for a day following them around..from memory it is somewhere on the Hunter side.
Do you mean the Hunter River side? Anyway, I don't know of it:(.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i was told the side with Hunter Griffith Duncan Theatre is Hunter-side, and the side with Auchmuty library is Shortland-side..
and all i know about the big eatery thing is that it is there somewhere..

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
i was told the side with Hunter Griffith Duncan Theatre is Hunter-side, and the side with Auchmuty library is Shortland-side..
and all i know about the big eatery thing is that it is there somewhere..
:lol:. I though you were talking about a place off campus in Newcastle. Still don't know the place you are talking about but I have not been to Newcastle University often anyway:).

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
lol, nah its on campus...im so peed off i cant even think of what it was called..
but it was like this huge hall, with a heap of little food places around the outside edges, with everything from like wraps on flat bread, to chips, to pasta, to pizza, to everything else imanginable.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
there is a huge dining area with every sort of food possible, and it is REALLY cheap
Isnt that the big food court in the shortland union building. Its like really cheap (my brother is a uni student so this is how I know this). On Tuesday and Wednesday nights you can buy a whole meal that is really huge for like $5.70 (student prices). Its really good what they have there.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i dunno, it might be that..as i said, im not sure of where it is anymore (i went there earlier this year)..like, when i did the shadowing program, there was another yr12 with me, and she got a huge steak and about a zillion chips for like $5, it was honestly the biggest meal i have ever seen!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Cyph
Brenann room, the food's shit though. :)
hmm...are we talknig about the same one? i presume we are..but everyone that i talked to on the day said the food was really good..i only had a plate of chips, bit hard to screw them up..but they were good.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
i had a special pork dish from there the other day, it was absolutley fucked
turned me off meat for like, five minutes at least

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)