Maths! (1 Viewer)

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
second semester 3xxx courses suck! the good ones are all in first semester (at least from what i have experienced), that said, i would recommend topology (3180), algebra (3120), and topics in applicable (3720).

Nb. I have not done (and will never do) algebra, and topology has changed substantially from when i did it so my recommendations might be a bit inaccurate.
Also topics (3720) managed to be hard/easy/shite all at the same time :).

See what darkliight has to say... he generally has a better idea of these things than i do.

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
I've only done a few, but ..

Topology: Probably the most interesting second semester subject, George tought it this year and apparently it's a fair bit different from last year. I'm not sure if you're more into pure or applied stuff, but it's mostly pure, but with a stack of interesting consequences (always a cyclone somewhere on the planet, always two antipodal points on the Earth's surface that are the same temp, and bunch of other 'maths' results that are interesting just because (imho :))).

Algebra: Think group theory from linear alg. It's that, then some more of the same (rings - extra binary op and another axiom) and then some more (fields - still two binary ops but a couple more axioms), and some interesting stuff in between (counting, impossible geometric constructions). I was actually looking forward to this one, but I got bored? Maybe it was just the lecturer (Andrew), maybe I suck at it, dunno, I just couldn't get into it. If you do this, I think the textbook was heaps better than his notes.

Topics in applicable: Ugh, this was a good subject. I liked it, but I just sucked at it. Do it if you're into the applied stuff though. Coding theory, bifurcation theory and game theory.

Combinatorics: I haven't done it, but it's due to run next year. Jim normally does it, and it runs second semester, but I think Jim is on leave second semester. Either it'll get moved to first sem, or someone else will take it I guess. I've only heard good things about this one though.

Logic and set theory: Due to run second sem next year and George is taking it. I'm keen to do this one out of interest, and hopefully I can next year, but I've heard it's pretty painful. Oh well.

I think that is everything that is running? I think linear ops is only every second year, but if not, that course was hardcore.

Oh, and I have the algebra and topology notes (from davids and georges course) if you want to suss it out, just post or pm your email or something and I can send them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)