A few questions... (1 Viewer)

slasher3689

HSC
Hey all,

Last night I got the great news that I was accepted into electrical engineering at Newcastle. Now I have a few questions:

Im currently doing a traineeship at the local computer shop, and im going to be here for this year and next year (its a 2 year traineeship). Im wondering, is there any chance I can defer for 2 years?

If I cant defer for 2 years, what are my chances of getting in when I reapply for next year?(and then defer for a year,, so ill be starting the course in 2010) My UAI is 69.5, and Im in the cournty so I get the 3 extra UAI points...

I havent been able to talk to anyone at the uni yet as theyre obviously still on holidays.

One more thing, if it is possible to change between 2 types of engineering, im considering trying to change my course to Mechatronics engineering, instead of electrical engineering. Can anyone give some advice on this decision, as to weather its a good idea or not? Its just that mechatronics intrests me more than electrical, as mechatronics has such a broad range of studies in it.

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
slasher3689 said:
Im currently doing a traineeship at the local computer shop, and im going to be here for this year and next year (its a 2 year traineeship). Im wondering, is there any chance I can defer for 2 years?

If I cant defer for 2 years, what are my chances of getting in when I reapply for next year?(and then defer for a year,, so ill be starting the course in 2010) My UAI is 69.5, and Im in the cournty so I get the 3 extra UAI points...
Chances are low with that uai, plus I'm 99% sure that the bonus points only apply to school leavers.

You can defer, it's an option you can pick when selecting your courses, however I'm not sure if you can do it for 2 years. My recommendation would be to be part time and only do 2 courses a semester, that way, when you're ready to switch to full time you would have already completed a year.

slasher3689 said:
One more thing, if it is possible to change between 2 types of engineering, im considering trying to change my course to Mechatronics engineering, instead of electrical engineering. Can anyone give some advice on this decision, as to weather its a good idea or not? Its just that mechatronics intrests me more than electrical, as mechatronics has such a broad range of studies in it.
If you think you will enjoy Mechatronics more, go for it! Changing programs withing faculties is pretty easy because you don't need to go through UAC. The early courses overlap so you're not in a hurry, but if you get to the end of first semester and decide you want to change, go to the engineering office and they will fix you up.

slasher3689

HSC
Chances are low with that uai, plus I'm 99% sure that the bonus points only apply to school leavers.

You can defer, it's an option you can pick when selecting your courses, however I'm not sure if you can do it for 2 years. My recommendation would be to be part time and only do 2 courses a semester, that way, when you're ready to switch to full time you would have already completed a year.
Yeah its not a real great UAI, but I still got in, which is great :D .

Well if its looking like there is a low chance of getting in if I reapply ofr next year, I might have to take the option of part time study...

Whats the distance education like? Would it be really hard to do at home? (I work 9-5:30 mon-fri, so I dont have an awful lot of time).

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
slasher3689 said:
Yeah its not a real great UAI, but I still got in, which is great :D .

Well if its looking like there is a low chance of getting in if I reapply ofr next year, I might have to take the option of part time study...

Whats the distance education like? Would it be really hard to do at home? (I work 9-5:30 mon-fri, so I dont have an awful lot of time).
A number of the courses require you to do lab time, which means you need to physically be there.

You should really talk to a student councilor or someone who can tell you for sure but I'm sure you could get 2 years if you plead your case.

I just checked and it is one year: http://www.newcastle.edu.au/study/undergraduateadmissions/offer.html You really need to go in and talk to someone if you need to get 2 years.

slasher3689

HSC
A number of the courses require you to do lab time, which means you need to physically be there.

You should really talk to a student councilor or someone who can tell you for sure but I'm sure you could get 2 years if you plead your case.

I just checked and it is one year: http://www.newcastle.edu.au/study/un...ons/offer.html You really need to go in and talk to someone if you need to get 2 years.
Thanks for that advice... I hope I can get 2 years, but if not, Ill just study part time next year.

Who can I contact regarding this? I tried to call the uni on Thursday, but I didnt get an answer... who can I talk to while everyones on holidays?

jirwin

HSC
you should of went to the advisory day yesterday if possible. it was 3pm-6pm.

email the enquiry centre (email on the website somewhere). they have been replying still and they will be able to tell u who to contact.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
slasher3689 said:
Thanks for that advice... I hope I can get 2 years, but if not, Ill just study part time next year.
You wont be able to defer for 2 years, as the maximum period you can defer for is 12 months.

My advice is decide which is more important to you: Keeping with the traineeship (and extending your Engo degree to 8 years p/t), or giving up on the traineeship at the computer shop and going with the degree.

Just out of curiosity, what comes from doing the traineeship at the computer shop? If you are looking at doing Electrical/Mechatronic engineering, im assuming its only for the experience in a somewhat related field?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
slasher3689 said:

Who can I contact regarding this? I tried to call the uni on Thursday, but I didnt get an answer... who can I talk to while everyones on holidays?
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/contact.html

EnquiryCentre@newcastle.edu.au - for callaghan campus.

Of course their are other emails, I think I might of used a different one but if you send your enquiry to that email they can direct you onto the correct people.

Strange you got no answer, I guess it depends who you were ringing and when because I have had phonecalls to and from the uni be answered.

Deferment is for only 1 year. But that being said no harm in talking to them and explaining your situation.

slasher3689

HSC
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/contact.html

EnquiryCentre@newcastle.edu.au - for callaghan campus.

Of course their are other emails, I think I might of used a different one but if you send your enquiry to that email they can direct you onto the correct people.

Strange you got no answer, I guess it depends who you were ringing and when because I have had phonecalls to and from the uni be answered.

Deferment is for only 1 year. But that being said no harm in talking to them and explaining your situation.
Thanks, ive shot an email off to that address. So hopefully ill get a reply soon...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)