Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Accomodation at Newcastle

HSC
    N/A

Re: Accomodation at Newcastle

Which college would be the no.1 recommendation for a 1st year from Sydney?

HSC

Any. TEDS is usually the first choice for non-internationals.

Just be open minded to not getting in to any college.

HSC

I'm a returner at teds (i.e. this is my second year here) and i live in sydney and i got on two times, so i'm thinking distance has nothing to do with it.
    How you go at uni makes a difference, pretty sure if you fail a subject you don't get let back on.

Just putting this out there- college is shit. I've been stuck with stinky asians (like international asians, not australian-asians) who don't talk to you, hide from you and never wash up/clean/empty bins etc. You get no say in who you live with and they(college) are inconsiderate when it comes to a lot of things. My fire alarm was going off for 4 hours from 6-10 this morning because they were testing them.
    It has also come to my attention that college is a cash cow. If you forget your room key, they charge you 5, then 10 then 20 dollars (it doubles every time) when there is a 'duty warden' who already gets paid to do exactly that- let locked out people in. They are also very inefficient when it comes to emails/forwarding mail/everything. They didn't forward 3 months worth of mail to me over summer holidays. derp.

That being said, it's cheap ($145 p/w at self catered at teds- includes EVERYTHING except food) if something breaks you don't have to pay to fix it, don't have to worry about parking, takes 10 minutes to get to shortland side/5 minutes to get to hunter side and it's pretty social. but still... i dunno if the positives are enough to compensate for the negatives.

Also! if you live at self catered you will get harassed by the kitchen staff every time you go to a teds event that is catered because they think you don't like at teds. it's fucking rude as shit.

/rant.
    The raccoon is often called a 'robber' for its foraging habits, the mask
    like markings on its face, and its illegal acquisition of blue period Picassos

HSC
    N/A

Well there's not really another viable option. Not keen for 4+ hours travel to and from Uni everyday, and I'm not exactly going to know anyone I can live with. It can't be that bad can it?

HSC

where did you apply on campus?

tbh, every where in newcastle is death.
    if you want somewhere close to uni, jesmond/birmingham gardens/waratah parking at uni is DEATH so don't even bother and buses are horrid. you want to be close to a train station or walking distance.

HSC

I heard tenant vacancy is the lowest it's been for a number of years.

Have fun finding a place.

Cadet
    HSC

Fuck I didn't apply into college because I didn't think I'd go to Newcastle....
    Now what do I do? I'm desperately trying to find a sharehouse within bicycling distance to uni, how hard is this?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by miscer View Post
    Fuck I didn't apply into college because I didn't think I'd go to Newcastle....
    Now what do I do? I'm desperately trying to find a sharehouse within bicycling distance to uni, how hard is this?
    Share house:

http://offcampusaccommodation.newcastle.edu.au/

Good luck. Most of Newcastle is within my idea of cycling distance.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jumb View Post
    Share house:

http://offcampusaccommodation.newcastle.edu.au/

Good luck. Most of Newcastle is within my idea of cycling distance.
    How hard is it to get a walking/cycling distance house (few mins) from newcastle?

HSC

It's not hard, but it's not exactly high class.

Walking distance is basically anywhere in Jesmond/Birmingham Gardens (10-20 mins). To me, cycling distance is up to Hamilton, but that would probably be ~30 mins. It's a pretty flat road, though.

You're best to check on teh googlez. I'm lazy and wouldn't know.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Who are you hoping to live with, Pat?
    #overandout

HSC
    Uni Grad

I know them both actually.
    #overandout

HSC
    N/A

anyone hear about the plans to build more accommodation. can anyone verify this?
    ATAR: 99.85
    Medicine student

HSC

Hi, I know I already posted this on the UUNF site, but I kinda really need to know soon (accomodation applications open in a week)
    I'm really interested in living on campus next year for uni, and i was wondering which accommodation would be best?
    I would live self catered (edwards, evatt), but I want to know which house is more social?
    I'm really interested in doing well in my studies as well as having fun but i don't know what house would be more appropriate.
    Edwards is advertised on the website as being more social, but i've heard that Evatt is incredible social as well. :?
    i would love an opinion from someone who actually goes there
    Thanks heaps

HSC

are you hot?
    I call people I don’t like ‘rock eaters’ because it makes them question their very existence. Some will wonder why I called them a rock eater and this will torture them to the very end, even though they have never eaten a rock. Others will remember the time they ate a rock and feel ashamed and confused.

HSC

uh what?

HSC

For shared accomodation at Barhineban, can you nominate someone to stay with? Or is it random only?

Sexy
    Aim: 70
    Required: 62.15 (Newcastle B. of Science)
    Subjects: Bio (5/50), Chem (2/20), Phys (7/13), General Maths (1/62), Adv. English (26/39), SOR I (18/105)
    Current ATAR Status:

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryswing View Post
    Hi, I know I already posted this on the UUNF site, but I kinda really need to know soon (accomodation applications open in a week)
    I'm really interested in living on campus next year for uni, and i was wondering which accommodation would be best?
    I would live self catered (edwards, evatt), but I want to know which house is more social?
    I'm really interested in doing well in my studies as well as having fun but i don't know what house would be more appropriate.
    Edwards is advertised on the website as being more social, but i've heard that Evatt is incredible social as well. :?
    i would love an opinion from someone who actually goes there
    Thanks heaps
    I lived at Edwards Hall (Teds) for 2 years it was LOADS of fun but I would recommend going for IH (international House) because word on the street is it is really moving up and is the place to be. All the houses are social and have cool parties and stuff. I'd go for evatt or IH for sure, but definitely don't be sad about TEDS. BUT if you do apply for teds, 100% go for catered and then you can just get a doctors certificate saying you can't eat the food (allergies, whatever just get the doc to make something up) and you pay self-catered rates but get to live in catered. Self catered is sort of isolated and it's not 100% part of teds, if you want the true college experience, go for catered then Evatt, then IH but not self, i would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_P View Post
    For shared accomodation at Barhineban, can you nominate someone to stay with? Or is it random only?

Sexy
    you choose your roommate unless you apply by yourself

but i would not live at barra it's lots of 3rd and 4th years so it's not as fun as the other colleges
    it's also isolated from theo ther colleges, doesn't have as many parties and is really expensive and super strict about cleaning regulations because the cleaner comes in to your room (1 room has 2 beds, kitchen and the bathroom is obviously in a separate room) and EVERYHTING has to be put away all surfaces clear etc i would not tell first years to live at barra

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information