Necastle area (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I decided to choose Newcastle uni over UNSW, so I guess I will be moving to Newie soon! I don't know the area at all, so I was wondering if some of you locals might be able to recommend a few suburbs that I should look at? Doesn't have to be insanely close to the uni, as long as it doesn't take more than an hour to get there.

cheers :)

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Depends how much you want to spend?

Might as well live as close as you can to the uni. Birmingham gardens, north lambton, jesmond, are adjacent to the uni and okay.

It'd be nice to live in stockton, merewether, bar beach. Or in the inner city, like cooks hill would be amazing.

Nowhere in Newcastle takes an hour to get to the uni.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
I decided to choose Newcastle uni over UNSW, so I guess I will be moving to Newie soon! I don't know the area at all, so I was wondering if some of you locals might be able to recommend a few suburbs that I should look at? Doesn't have to be insanely close to the uni, as long as it doesn't take more than an hour to get there.

cheers :)
after first scoffing at your choice i'll now actually give you some useful info, after all Newcastle has it's advantages.

OK if you want an active social scene GO ON CAMPUS. Newcastle doesn't really have a very active student body I am still involved in a fair bit but compared to other tertiary institutions it's a bit dead at times.

As far as off campus goes, Bimingham Gardens (this is where i am), Waratah, Shortland (drugsville), Jemond(Shopping Centre), Warabrook (trainstation), Wallsend.

In most of those places you can find houses within walking distance to the uni (I am only 10 minutes walk from the Library).

Kotara and Charlestown are the two major shopping centres but they are a fair way from the uni.

Otherwise you can look in town and use the public transport system to get you to and from uni.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Plus I heard the Earth Science dept is pretty awesome at UNCLE.
Having studied environmental science at newcastle, and having known several geology graduates, I have compared the programs for environmental science at other unis to what newcastle offers and can easily say Newcastle is the only uni I would consider studying this course at.

The earth science science units I studied were also excellent.

I'm critical of newcastle in other ways, but it really is the winner in this faculty.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
It really depends on what you want from the location. Every subburb has it's good points and bad points. You're best off to just look around at places in your price range, and see how close amenities or uni are, to get an idea if it's a place for you.

jirwin

HSC
Depends how much you want to spend?

Might as well live as close as you can to the uni. Birmingham gardens, north lambton, jesmond, are adjacent to the uni and okay.

It'd be nice to live in stockton, merewether, bar beach. Or in the inner city, like cooks hill would be amazing.

Nowhere in Newcastle takes an hour to get to the uni.
If you live in Stockton, it takes approximately 1.5hrs to get to the uni via public transport but only 20min by car.

lollylover

HSC
Hamilton or Cooks Hill
Probably Jesmond as well coz it's close to the uni
Maybe Waratah or Wallsend as well

Zrap

glock9
HSC
If you like beach obviously choose coastal suburbs like merewether, bar beach, junction, cooks hill and what not. 225 (a bus will take you to these suburbs and to the uni). Tbh Wallsend, Jesmond and that is fair shit.

HSC
N/A
Thanks!

I am actually buying, so I was looking to have fellow students live with me because I don't know anyone in Newie at all, so I guess anywhere students want to live is good.

I would have liked to live on campus, but I hear my chances are not so good as it's very competitive.

Oliver04

HSC
Thanks!

I am actually buying, so I was looking to have fellow students live with me because I don't know anyone in Newie at all, so I guess anywhere students want to live is good.

I would have liked to live on campus, but I hear my chances are not so good as it's very competitive.
Kahibah.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Lol, Kahibah might not be so great in itself, but it's pretty close to the beach isn't it? Glenrock is right there, and it's reasonably close to Kotara and Charlestown shopping, and technically the Pacific Highway > town/Hunter Street Mall shit. Also, Kahibah has a pretty tasty Fish and Chips shop and Chinese takeaway.

Oh, and also close to a bottlo :p

Last edited:

Oliver04

HSC
Lol, Kahibah might not be so great in itself, but it's pretty close to the beach isn't it? Glenrock is right there, and it's reasonably close to Kotara and Charlestown shopping, and technically the Pacific Highway > town/Hunter Street Mall shit. Also, Kahibah has a pretty tasty Fish and Chips shop and Chinese takeaway.

Oh, and also close to a bottlo :p
tbh I don't even know where it is, but my mates keep telling me the place is like a never ending party.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
If you want wigger's scaring all the students with their shenanaghans and unruly, violent and derelict behaviour...

...then buy in Jesmond.

Otherwise, everywhere else is a better option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)