ATAR Question (1 Viewer)

LiveForever28

HSC
Hey guys im sorry if this is a stupid question but I havent read anywhere thats given me a definitive answer (though I probably admittedly havent searched too hard lol)

So my question is: How long can you use an ATAR for ie I want to apply for another course next year (yes I am terrible at decision making) so will I be able to apply for that with my 2009 ATAR?
Also, if I do a year of another course, will they only look at my results for that or will they use my ATAR?

Thanx in advance

Kelly47

HSC
ATAR = The new UAI.

I'm not sure on any of this but I think universities use it for three years and if you do another course they will look at your results rather than ATAR/UAI. But really not sure.

LiveForever28

HSC
Anybody else? Im just wondering because my atar was high and i could have easily got the course ive decided to do now, but if i do a year in the course ive selected and thats all that gets recognised i might be puting myself at risk of not getting high enough marks this time.

LiveForever28

HSC
Totally should have thought about this before now..
Different circumstances have caused the change in my mind. I just thought at the time (that includes looking ahead) I had made the better decision but I only realise now what I shouldve done. Sorry thats not good enough for you.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Different circumstances have caused the change in my mind. I just thought at the time (that includes looking ahead) I had made the better decision but I only realise now what I shouldve done. Sorry thats not good enough for you.
hahaha you will have no friends.

hebithegreat

Above average penis
HSC
So my question is: How long can you use an ATAR for ie I want to apply for another course next year (yes I am terrible at decision making) so will I be able to apply for that with my 2009 ATAR?
You can use your UAI/ATAR for up to 5 years. But personally if i were going to leave it for that long, i would do open foundation or something equivalent. But back to your question, yes your ATAR will still count next year.

As far as decision making goes, don't worry about being indecisive. Many people change their pathways during their studies. It is better to change into a degree/subject that will interest you, rather than sticking with a pathway that is going to make you feel miserable and give you no overall fulfillment

Also, if I do a year of another course, will they only look at my results for that or will they use my ATAR?
It really depends on the requirements of the faculty you are planning to change into, you should check that.

Sometimes requirements are based purely on your academic performance from your first year of study- for example, a faculty might be asking for a credit average in your first year to be considered for a transfer.

In other circumstances a faculty might consider a transfer based on 50% ATAR and 50% academic performance.

But as i previously mentioned, you have to check with the faculty you plan to transfer into. Don't stress about it at this point. Focus on achieving good results first year. You have all year to think about it.

I hope that helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)