Thoughts on Newcastle Uni Law Program (1 Viewer)

Politic

HSC
N/A
Firstly what does UNCLE stand for?

And what are current and past students thoughts of Newcastle's combined law program, probably Arts/Law in my case. Feedback about quality of staff, delivery of work, student support, how employers perceive NC law graduates against other unis like MQ etc would be helpful. Thanks :)

Politic

HSC
N/A
nah jks its just stands for university of newcastle
Wouldn't that be UNC? What's the LE for?

And some feedback specific to law would be great if anyone has any?

Politic

HSC
N/A
do it at unsw or usyd instead lol
Don't have the ATAR. I may JUST make it into MQ law. But if I don't would it be better to enter law by other means at MQ (internal transfer, graduate entry etc) or start combined law at Newcastle?

kfnmpah

HSC
it's just an easy way of abbreviating university of newcastle. easier than saying 'U.O.N'

also, newcastle is a piece of shit town with nothing going for it. stay away (unless you come up for a weekend during summer). (100% srs)

Politic

HSC
N/A
it's just an easy way of abbreviating university of newcastle. easier than saying 'U.O.N'

also, newcastle is a piece of shit town with nothing going for it. stay away (unless you come up for a weekend during summer). (100% srs)
Ok that clears up the first question. Now to the second question on the credibility of law at Newcastle. I'd rather go to MQ for transport and reputation benefits, but I probs can't get directly into law at MQ. Should I even consider UNCLE? I would be able to get into combined law with my ATAR at UNCLE though... but is it worth it - in terms of academic and social experience as well as employer perceptions of UNLCE v. MQ? And what did you mean by its a shit town - in terms of academia or just social life?

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
UNCLE is a term used to let people know who doesnt go to newcastle uni because if you do you exclusively refer to it as UON, or you attended it many years ago when it (might have) been referred to as UNCLE.

Politic

HSC
N/A
This is all very cute but does anyone have a personal insight into my second question? The question about the UNCLE acronym is resolved, thanks.

kfnmpah

HSC
the uni isn't that bad, like from my experience, the courses are pretty good and i like how hands on they are.

but newcastle is just a shit place. it's boring as fuck, everyone is a dirty bogan, there's nothing to do except go to the beach in summer, there are no nice areas to live (near the uni is full of poor people who break into your house and shit pretty much the shittest part of redfern is the area near the un, then in town you've got the "nice" area, but there is a huge housing commission ON THE SAME STREET as the nice houses and criminals who get out of maitland gaol get 6months free accommodation there. fucking just don't even go there, i wish i hadn't, it's shit.
stay away. (srs)

Politic

HSC
N/A
the uni isn't that bad, like from my experience, the courses are pretty good and i like how hands on they are.

but newcastle is just a shit place. it's boring as fuck, everyone is a dirty bogan, there's nothing to do except go to the beach in summer, there are no nice areas to live (near the uni is full of poor people who break into your house and shit pretty much the shittest part of redfern is the area near the un, then in town you've got the "nice" area, but there is a huge housing commission ON THE SAME STREET as the nice houses and criminals who get out of maitland gaol get 6months free accommodation there. fucking just don't even go there, i wish i hadn't, it's shit.
stay away. (srs)
I wouldn't be living there. So how would this bad location you speak of impact on the law program experience at the uni? Do you think the students at the uni would be bogan?

Last edited:

kfnmpah

HSC
most are. however the few law students I've met are really nice/not bogan at all.
the course will be pretty much the same as anywhere else, uon used to be owned by unsw so a lot of the course structures etc. haven't changed all too much.
you just don't have the prestigious professors etc. that you have at usyd/unsw.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC

stay away. (srs)
A thousand times this. You would have a much better experience at pretty much any other uni. If I had my time again...

most are. however the few law students I've met are really nice/not bogan at all.
the course will be pretty much the same as anywhere else, uon used to be owned by unsw so a lot of the course structures etc. haven't changed all too much.
you just don't have the prestigious professors etc. that you have at usyd/unsw.
I'd also like to add that your chances for work experience and therefore career aspirations are severely stunted. Newcastle educates people to stay in Newcastle. Any work experience/internships will be in Newcastle, and only Newcastle companies would hire you after that. If you went to school in Newcastle and want to stay there, the uni is a fine choice.

There was an older boser who did law. She was lovely and you could do worse than turn out like her. However if you have a choice: avoid Newcastle.

quistclose

HSC
I'd also like to add that your chances for work experience and therefore career aspirations are severely stunted. Newcastle educates people to stay in Newcastle. Any work experience/internships will be in Newcastle, and only Newcastle companies would hire you after that. If you went to school in Newcastle and want to stay there, the uni is a fine choice.
Having (almost) completed law at Newcastle, I can categorically tell you that work experience opportunities are not stunted, and that you are in fact encouraged to look beyond the Newcastle job market. I recently clerked for approx 3 months at a top-tier law firm in Sydney, and having been through the interview processes for these types of firms, I assure you that (provided you are willing to work hard and get good grades) a degree from Newcastle will not be detrimental to your career aspirations.
The law school has strong connections with many Newcastle and Hunter based law firms. They are more than happy to help students organise work experience placements with these firms, however this is usually in the context of completing mandatory prac hours (in 4th and 5th year) rather than railroading students into the Newcastle market.[/QUOTE]

Caligula

HSC
do it at unsw or usyd instead lol
Piss off pleb.

OP: Newcastle is the same as any other university in that the curriculum is dictated by the supreme court. It has an advantage in that the diploma of laws (which everyone must do to become a practicing solicitor) is combined into the degree and consequently it cuts down on time/is charged on your HECS debt. It is also the only rural town with a permanent supreme court, so there's more opportunity for work experience without competing for spots with five other universities.

Secret: Big boobs (or pecs), good marks and good extra curriculars is what gets you employed, not what university you come from. There might be a bit of the school boys thing going on in some of the larger universities but that will depend more on schools than universities.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)