Newcastle uni grades (1 Viewer)

miscer

HSC
How does the grading system work here in Newcastle? For each subject, do you receive a mark of fail, pass, credit, distinction, high distinction? or do you only receive your WAM for all your subjects and don't get each individual subject's grades? Do they tell you what your GPA is every semester?

Also, can anyone get a distinction/high distinction/credit (as long as they meet the cutoff grade)? Because I know at some unis, only a percentage of the cohort can get a HD/D/C

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone can get HD's, they dont do that scaling shit (some subjects/faculties might but I'm unaware of it), same cutoffs as most unis 50 +pass, 65+ credit, 75+ Distinction and 85+ HD.
You can view it in myhub and they go up every semester after exams, to calculate your GPA there is a page on the site (just google 'newcastle uni GPA') and you put in how many units of study you've completed and how many units of study you have achieved to each grade (sounds more complex than it is).

Certain subjects are only pass/fail but those a fairly infrequent I believe, and p/f subjects dont count in calculating your GPA.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I'm pretty sure scaling didn't happen in Engineering because there was a natural bell curve already for most courses. Some of the easier, soft courses probably have some scaling. It would explain why I only got a Pass in Chem 101. They won't ever scale you down to a fail though; that's just a dick move.

The GPA/WAM etc. is a pain in the arse. The majority of job applications for graduate programs ask for it.

They don't even give it to you with your testamur, unlike other universities. So useless.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
You get the mark for every subject as well as the grade (except honours degrees where you get nothing at all, apparently...)

In every course I ever did which had no exam (e.g. education), my final grade was always exactly equal to the sum of all my assignment marks. This was even in 'easy' first year courses with up to 800 people in them.

Last edited:

kfnmpah

HSC
Scaling is not really a thing except for some really difficult maths courses (maybe some other difficult courses like engineering or something???) that have a high fail rate. I guess the uni has to make sure a bunch of people don't fail because that does not reflect well on them, but they obviously won't fudge marks hardcore because then what is the point in even trying?
and sometimes if you have a nice course coordinator and you are 1 or 2 marks away from the next band (i.e. you get 74 and a distinction is 75) they will just give you an extra mark. but that's not really scaling that's just nice.

and there is a PC which is when you get say 48-49 you wil get a PC (pass conceded) where you just pass even though technically you failed

Kat92

HSC
Anything under 1000 level is not counted for the GPA. Otherwise, enter in the units studied and how many P's,C'S,D'S and HD's you received.

There is the option if you would like an accurate GPA calculation but I think you have to pay $20 or something for this. (Although, I think this calculation is only done for entry into Honours or Postgrad programs)

Anyone can get credits, distinctions and high distinctions- it is not capped! :D

kfnmpah

HSC
Anything under 1000 level is not counted for the GPA. Otherwise, enter in the units studied and how many P's,C'S,D'S and HD's you received.

There is the option if you would like an accurate GPA calculation but I think you have to pay $20 or something for this. (Although, I think this calculation is only done for entry into Honours or Postgrad programs)

Anyone can get credits, distinctions and high distinctions- it is not capped! :D
you can get a pretty accurate GPA estimation here: http://www.newcastle.edu.au/service/enrolments/progression/gpa-calculator.html

subjects that are pass/fail do not go towards your GPA and your standard subject is 10 credit points/units

Kat92

HSC
you can get a pretty accurate GPA estimation here: http://www.newcastle.edu.au/service/enrolments/progression/gpa-calculator.html

subjects that are pass/fail do not go towards your GPA and your standard subject is 10 credit points/units
Already knew about that one! However, it sounded like the OP wanted a professional one done.

Ultimately, at the end of the day no-one is really going to look at the transcripts- they are more interested in whether you have tried any extra-curricular activities to show dedication to your selected profession.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)