Bachelor of Science - Questions (1 Viewer)

Brett_P

HSC
Hello.

Next year I hope to attend Newcastle university doing a Bachelor of Science majoring in chemistry. My specific interest is in drug design/medicinal chemistry/organic.

My subjects:
Advanced English
General Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
SOR1 (Compulsory at my school)

My questions:
1. Will I be able to get in to B. of Science doing general maths? I dropped from mathematics in prelim, I didn't struggle, I just get bored with non-applied mathematics (The maths of physics/chem interests me).

2. What are the facilities/labs like?

3. What is the post-grad research opportunities like?

Thankyou!

EDIT: It's worth noting I'm confident with maths, currently coming 1st in general maths with minimal effort input.

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
I am not a B Science undergrad, but I will attempt to answer your questions.

1. What you may be able to do is take a Bridging course in Advanced maths if you get in. You would essentially need to look at the PECS sheet on the website and see if it is a requirement.

2. Most facilities and labs are good.

3. Again I will point you to the website as all GPA details and programs of study are there.

You may want to contact: Bill.Hogarth@newcastle.edu.au
He may be able to answer your questions or direct you to someone who can.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I just get bored with non-applied mathematics
There's a few mandatory MATH courses in the Science degree. These courses contain topics that you will either not use immediately or never use. You really need to change that attitude.

About your career goals: Firstly, do you know what the drug research field is like? I've heard stories about the lifestyle - it isn't for everyone. Secondly, are you sure Chemisty is the field that best leads there, instead of say Biomedical? (These are all rhetoric questions)

Also, I've heard that Biomedical Engineering is a very hard field to gain employment in. I'm not sure how similar that is to what you want, though. I admire your goals, but my advice is to be open-minded to career aspects. The path there may not be as direct as you think.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Hello.

Next year I hope to attend Newcastle university doing a Bachelor of Science majoring in chemistry. My specific interest is in drug design/medicinal chemistry/organic.

My subjects:
Advanced English
General Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
SOR1 (Compulsory at my school)

My questions:
1. Will I be able to get in to B. of Science doing general maths? I dropped from mathematics in prelim, I didn't struggle, I just get bored with non-applied mathematics (The maths of physics/chem interests me).

2. What are the facilities/labs like?

3. What is the post-grad research opportunities like?

Thankyou!

EDIT: It's worth noting I'm confident with maths, currently coming 1st in general maths with minimal effort input.
I am a chemistry major. You should do some level of math at university however to be an organic and medicinal chemist the level of maths you require isn't too high. Instead maths is more needed for physical chemistry if you do anymore than the basic required level of it.
1. Yes, you can get into B. of science without even having done maths. however it just is advised you have a certain level of it.
2. The labs are good, the chemistry department is well funded as a result of some of the successful research going on
3. Lots of post grad opportunities, you will be aiming for an honors year with Prof McCluskey (Medicinal/Organic Chemist) before moving onto your Phd at least. He is a top academic who is currently doing some great research into the synthesis of drugs for people suffering epilepsy

Brett_P

HSC
Thankyou axle! This is exactly what I needed to hear! That's awesome my friend, thanks a lot.

Premium Member
HSC
A mate of mine is doing a B Science and he's only had to do a STAT course and a basic MATH course so far. With your subjects, I'd say you should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)