Anybody from Sydney? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Anybody thinking of going to UoN in 2014? Also, if you are from Sydney and currently studying in UoN, could you please give me an insight? Like travelling back and forth, accommodation, lifestyle ... any regrets? I am thinking about nutrition/dietetics or physio if this helps :)

bec3

HSC
I'm not a current student but I'm thinking of UoN in 2014. I'm also from Sydney so I'd be interested in any replies you get :)
If I don't qualify for accommodation I guess it's just a matter of taking the 2 hour drive up there...

HSC
I'm sure we would qualify for accommodation up there if we live all the way in Sydney. If that's the case and if I do get into the course I want, I would probably rent an apartment.

kfnmpah

HSC
uon is the best i moved here in 2010 from leichhardt and i would not change it

newcastle is sick, the campus is nice, on campus accommodation is really fun and off campus is just as good. it's much cheaper than sydney in terms of rent. other shit liek food, bills, beer is exactly the same. public transport is a bit shit, but the places worth going to have a train line going there so it's not too bad

i did a couple of nutrition and dietetics courses as electives, they were alright. no idea about physio.

it's easy getting to sydney on the train- it's 4.20 (blaze it) one way and takes <<3 hours on an express

newcastle lifestyle is amazing. there are lots of great pubs and live music here is much much better than sydney because the newcastle conservatorium is contemporary (compared to "the con" in syd which is classical) and all the students perform at open mic nights at various pubs during the week.
everywhere is close to the beach, it's very relaxed and people are friendly.

it is very different to sydney as there isn't a lot going on in terms of a CBD. like, most people here work at/go to uni, work in shitty retail jobs, work in the mines, work in public health, are old, or are on centrelink but i think it just adds to the vibe and makes newy a lot more personal/friendly/less judgemental (for want of a better word).

fuck yeah newcastle

kfnmpah

HSC
also in regards to the actual uni, it is wonderful.
there aren't manby clubs and societies compared to unis in sydney but there are enough/there is enough stuff going on to keep you entertained

wednesday night ist student night everywhere (no covers and cheap drinks)
two bars on campus are great and there are some pretty great gigs at Bar on the Hill
each pub on campus has trivia nights/pool comps/battle of the bands/movie nights etc. there is something on every day
each faculty has events (balls, pub crawls, bbqs etc) that you can go to for whatever price, it's usually cheaper if you join the club associated with the faculty
there are facilities for students, mostly targeted at first years, who need help with uni (PASS sessions for example) and they are good for ~learnin'~ and also for meeting other students. I've made some sick friends in the maths clinic (room in the maths building with volunteers from the faculty to help with whatever you need help with)

SophxMusic

HSC
Looking at studying Physio at UoN too! :)

Actually, I'm currently deciding my location....This may seem like a silly question, but how is Newcastle seen as a university in terms of prestige? Like if you were to go an apply for a job afterwards, how would Newcastle stand up against other Universities?
I'm deciding between Charles Sturt and Newcastle, and i know the amount of prac work that CSU offers is held in pretty high regard but if Newcastle would be valued more I'd rather go there.

kfnmpah

HSC
once you get in to uni literally no one gives a shit unless it's like law @ usyd vs law @ uws

even then

madharris

HSC
N/A
I have a friend who's doing oral health at UoN
He travels from lane cove to the Ourimbah campus every day
So he probably really likes it there... otherwise he wouldn't bother with the travelling and go somewhere else :)

Looking at studying Physio at UoN too! :)

Actually, I'm currently deciding my location....This may seem like a silly question, but how is Newcastle seen as a university in terms of prestige? Like if you were to go an apply for a job afterwards, how would Newcastle stand up against other Universities?
I'm deciding between Charles Sturt and Newcastle, and i know the amount of prac work that CSU offers is held in pretty high regard but if Newcastle would be valued more I'd rather go there.
In terms of health sciences, it doesn't matter where you go. They're all highly regarded courses that as long as they're in regulation with the boards and things like that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)