Thread: Engineering at Newcastle

Cadet
    HSC

Engineering at Newcastle

Anyone planning on studying an engineering course at Newcastle in 2014?

Cadet
    HSC
    Yeah.
    Last edited by Dementured; 22 Oct 2013 at 9:20 PM.
    HSC 2013
    B Engineering (Electrical) @UON 2014

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Engineering at Newcastle

Civil? Mechanical?

Cadet
    HSC
    Electrical

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    HSC 2013

HSC

Hey Mate, yeah I am, hopefully a combined degree of Mechatronics and Mechanical engineering

Cadet
    HSC

Nice man, I'm hopefully doing civil but 2nd and 3rd preferences were mining and mechanical

Cadet
    HSC

Might do mechatronics as a side degree later on just because I love robots hahaha

HSC

Awesome mate! Sound like a great choices!
    Hahah yes robots is going to be an amazing part of the degree! Really looking forward to it! Heard the maths is just really crazy hahah
    You live in newy or coming from somewhere else? I coming up there next yeah, im moving from just outside of Canberra.

Cadet
    HSC

Went to school in newcastle, moved to the central coast a few months ago, moving back to newcastle for on campus accomodation hopefully xD

Cadet
    HSC

If anyone is still thinking about it, I personally can't recommend electrical engineering here enough. It's a great program and maybe I'm just really lucky, but all of my lecturers and tutors have been excellent.
    Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) - The University of Newcastle (second year 2014)

HSC

Awesome Heydosauru! What sort of subjects do you do in your first year of electrical engineering at Newcastle?

Cadet
    HSC

Haha, very late response. Apologies for that. =P I'll list each of the first year courses and briefly describe their contents.

Semester 1

ELEC1700 - Computer Engineering

Introduces you to the foundations of the workings of computers. The course mainly applies mathematical logic to different scenarios, such as processor design. Lots of logic gates and binary! Additionally, Steve, the lecturer, is absolutely fantastic.

MATH1110 - Mathematics 1

Quickly revises HSC calculus modules (from the 2 unit course) and expands upon them, whilst introducing you to vectors, complex numbers, polar coordinates and planes. As long as you got at least a band 5 in the HSC mathematics course, you shouldn't struggle here.

PHYS1210 - Advanced Physics 1

Us electrical engineering students have to at least have a general liking for physics, as we're the only group of engineering students that have to study advanced physics. This is mainly due to the concepts introduced in the successor course, PHYS1220, however, this course includes particle physics, cosmology, mechanics, thermodynamics, wave mechanics and nuclear physics. A very interesting course with some important foundations for further studies in electrical engineering. HSC physics is recommended, but not required. Another word of advice is to never wear a hat to the lectures. One of the lecturers, Paul, is a massive prick to anybody that wears a hat. Excellent lecturer, though. =P

GENG1803 - Introduction to Engineering Practice

Along with MATH1110, this is the main first semester course that every engineering student, along with computer science students, has to complete. It introduces a very broad portfolio of concepts that will be expanded upon as you progress within your degree. Along with this, it introduces you to engineering report writing, with 60% of your final mark being based off of group contributions leading up to and including the report.

Semester 2

MATH1120 - Mathematics 2

This course introduces you to matrices and differential equations, whilst expanding upon the calculus concepts as taught in MATH1110. It flows much better as a course than MATH1110 did and the course coordinator, Mike, is excellent.

PHYS1220 - Advanced Physics 2

Here you start to get into the more applicable electrical engineering foundations, such as electricity, electromagnetism, optics and an introduction to quantum mechanics, something which will blow your brain into a bajillion pieces. Of course, quantum mechanics will lead into semiconductors with PHYS2170, the most influential material within our generation of electrical engineers.

ELEC1300 - Electrical Engineering

Introduces you to the analysis of electrical circuits, power and the properties of resistors, inductors and capacitors. I would say that it's the most difficult course within the first year of electrical engineering at UoN, but you'll find that it's very enjoyable if you're genuinely interested in electrical engineering.

GENG1003 - Introduction to Procedural Programming

As somebody that has always found computer programming to be the single most mundane area of computing as a field, at first, I hated the fact that I had to do this course, but I eventually came to like it. It introduces you to the foundations of programming in both C and MATLAB, within the context of an engineer. Mike, the course coordinator, is also excellent.

So that's the first year of electrical engineering in a nutshell. Having really enjoyed the first year, I'm definitely looking forward to the challenges of second year. Bring on the four month break, though!
    Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) - The University of Newcastle (second year 2014)

HSC

Heydosaurus, can you recommend any textbooks which you use in first year elec eng?

Cadet
    HSC

The single greatest textbook that you can pick up for first year electrical engineering is 'Physics for Scientists and Engineers' by Giancoli, preferably the 4th edition. It's a set of three volumes and it covers both courses. You're given access to a digital copy of the book, however, I think that it's an excellent set of books that make a great addition to an engineering student's personal library.

Other than that, for most of my courses, I haven't found textbooks to be a strong necessity. As somebody with little experience in C, I have found the 7th edition of 'Problem Solving and Program Design in C' by Hanly & Koffman to be especially helpful in getting through GENG1003. In the rest of the courses, lecture notes are more than sufficient enough to get you through the courses. If you require them, they provide you with extra problems in each of the courses, too.

HSC

Thanks Heydosaurus for all that information about electrical engineering, I really appreciate it!!! It has been a great insight into first year uni!! I am really looking forward to studying at UoN next year!!!

How much of first years contains programming? Would a degree like Mechatronics have a greater focus on programming than electrical engineering?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by azza1995 View Post
    Awesome mate! Sound like a great choices!
    Hahah yes robots is going to be an amazing part of the degree! Really looking forward to it! Heard the maths is just really crazy hahah
    You live in newy or coming from somewhere else? I coming up there next yeah, im moving from just outside of Canberra.
    Have you considered going to ADFA? I would go there if I lived near Canberra.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by azza1995 View Post
    How much of first years contains programming? Would a degree like Mechatronics have a greater focus on programming than electrical engineering?
    The only programming course that you have to do in first year is GENG1003, so an 8th of your total course loadings for first year, full time study. ELEC1700 makes you think like a programmer, sometimes, too.

Mechatronics certainly has a greater number of programming courses that you have to do, compared to electrical. I think that there's a couple of extra ones in second year, as opposed to only half a course in electrical.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by anomalousdecay View Post
    Have you considered going to ADFA? I would go there if I lived near Canberra.
    Nar, I like warmer weather way better than the cold and after living here six years, its horrible. Plus I've heard way better feedback about engineering at Newcastle, than I have at ADFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Heydosaurus View Post
    The only programming course that you have to do in first year is GENG1003, so an 8th of your total course loadings for first year, full time study. ELEC1700 makes you think like a programmer, sometimes, too.

Mechatronics certainly has a greater number of programming courses that you have to do, compared to electrical. I think that there's a couple of extra ones in second year, as opposed to only half a course in electrical.
    Cool man! Thanks for all your help, it has been really helpful, you've given me a great insight into engineering at uni! Best of luck with all your exam results!

HSC

Im currently going to do Mechanical at Macquarie University, do you guys think i should apply for Newcastle UNI for the february offer??? I live in sydney!! please help me out!!!

One more Question is UWS better for engineering or Macquarie University ??

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by vafa View Post
    I just emailed the lecturer about book and he said that they are going to use some kind of electronic text this year.
    It should be the same book, but digital. The digital copy is shit, though. You can only access it after logging into the Mastering Physics website and it's browser based. Buying a physical copy is expensive (around $200), but I found it to be totally worth it.

Cadet
    HSC

Did you end up buying all of the text books Heydosaurus?
    HSC 2013

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by vafa View Post
    He actually said that they will be using different text from last year but they have not yet decided which text.
    Ahh, they might be shaking the course up a bit. The last text book pretty much covered PHYS1210 and PHYS1220 perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementured View Post
    Did you end up buying all of the text books Heydosaurus?
    Hell no. =P I managed to get a HD in ELEC1700 and a D in GENG1803 without either of those textbooks. Chances are that you'll feel like shooting yourself in the foot if you end up buying those textbooks. If they're still prescribing the Barry & Davis textbook for MATH1110, I can recommend that you do not buy that one, either. It has a lot of holes where it doesn't cover course material.

HSC

Sorry for jumping in late, but I have some helpful stuff re: elec eng.

Fred is an amazing lecturer and the absolute jewel of Newcastle uni. The rest are so-so.

First year is easy, don't get cocky from courses like 1800. There's two courses in 2nd year (elec2300? and quantum physics) which will destroy you. There's a relatively high failure rate and these are the courses that make people say "fuck it, I'll do Civil!"

Thread Information