Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: umat/ medicine at Newcastle

HSC
    hmm ok so i got my umat stuff back, and my percentiles like 260 all added up.. but which one do they place more emphasis on??
    coz i got like 70 in section 3 and 96 and 95 in 1 and 2.. so i guess im stuffed if they like section 3
    i really dont know and im heaps worried coz i really really really want newcastle, and ive already gotten rejected from unsw, so grrrr this is my last chance in nsw coz i really dont want to move. stupid stupid.
    B.Liberal Studies
    University of Sydney

HSC
    getting 70 something in any section isn't exactly "stuffing" it up. I think you did very well. Not brilliant [compared to those guns that got 290+], but still very good. You should most likely get an interview, just get back to studying. Get the highest UAI you can get so as you keep your options open.
    I know this sounds condescending, but there's always next year (this is coming from someone in 2 year uni, trying newcastle for 3rd time). Umat is over, interviews are based on your UMAT scores. So nothing you can do about it, just sit back and go with the flow
    Time flys like an arrow, fruit flys like a banana

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob.J
    I know this sounds condescending, but there's always next year (this is coming from someone in 2 year uni, trying newcastle for 3rd time).
    How old are you going to be by the time you finish the Medicine Degree, if you get into Medicine next year!
    I NEVER HAVE TO STUDY EVER AGAIN, BITCHES!

HSC
    N/A
    We have a 60 year old woman in first year of our course...
    Private tutoring available from '03 student for: Chemistry (97, 3rd in state), English Advanced (96), Physics (96), Software Design & Development (96, 9th in state)....UAI: 99.95

Ashfield Boys High School - Class of '03

UNSW Med II

HSC
    we hav a 30 year old.. but we dun take ppl with a previous or started a degree
    I take no responsibility for this post's content

Retired 13 May 2006 Lexicographer's Avatar
    HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Merethrond
    How old are you going to be by the time you finish the Medicine Degree, if you get into Medicine next year!
    It's funny you ask that. Here in the "West" people often say they want to see a "young" doctor, because they'll have more up to date knowledge, as well as a more moderate, understanding and tolerant stance regarding modern issues (recreational drug use, casual sex, etc). They don't feel like your father/mother, someone who'll scold you for immoral behaviour, but rather an equal you can share anything with.

But I read in the "East" (eg Japan) the preference lies with older doctors for their patience, experience and typically easygoing, paternal nature. After all, would you sue the PBS doctor on TV? Does he look like someone who'd screw up your vasectomy, or does he have enough experience to get it right?

Older doctors are cool too.
    No longer active as of 13 May 2006

HSC
    Oh that reminds me, I read an article some months back about how older women (say middle-aged mothers with grown-or-growing-up kids) are making far better nursing students (and subsequently nurses) than their younger peers because they have more patience towards patients. This is said to be an effect of their experiences in the demanding atmosphere created by bringing up children (often several).

What do you guys think? Would your mother make a good nurse?

HSC
    im turning 20 next year so it'll be 24 when i've finished the med course (thats if i do it at UNCLE from next year)

forgot to quote but this was in reply to Merethrond
    Last edited by Bob.J; 2 Feb 2005 at 12:22 AM.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicographer
    It's funny you ask that. Here in the "West" people often say they want to see a "young" doctor, because they'll have more up to date knowledge, as well as a more moderate, understanding and tolerant stance regarding modern issues (recreational drug use, casual sex, etc). They don't feel like your father/mother, someone who'll scold you for immoral behaviour, but rather an equal you can share anything with.

But I read in the "East" (eg Japan) the preference lies with older doctors for their patience, experience and typically easygoing, paternal nature. After all, would you sue the PBS doctor on TV? Does he look like someone who'd screw up your vasectomy, or does he have enough experience to get it right?

Older doctors are cool too.
    Hmm, I didn't mean to say that old doctors are bad, what I meant was that he is waisting a lot of time going to University doing a different dgreee.

What do you guys think? Would your mother make a good nurse?
    Good point, and fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob.J
    im turning 20 next year so it'll be 25 when i've finished the med course (thats if i do it at UNCLE from next year)
    Oh, that is not too old then. Good luck.
    I NEVER HAVE TO STUDY EVER AGAIN, BITCHES!

HSC
    [QUOTE=Merethrond]Hmm, I didn't mean to say that old doctors are bad, what I meant was that he is waisting a lot of time going to University doing a different dgreee.

Well i don't see the harm in learning a little extra stuff. In the big picture a few more years at uni can't hurt. It'll give us all a little more perspective eh?

HSC
    surprisingly our concern isnt their learnin..
    most of the younger med students consider that their want to learn is good..
    but if they takes a HECS place.. thats 4-6 yrs.. and to become a full doctor.. u will need 11-15 yrs
    if they are 60 then they would be 71-75 before they are done

it will hav lil returns.. which is a worry since this is taxpayers money.. and there is a doctor shortage too..
    where is the returns to community? its all economics

HSC
    Interesting that comments about the social attitudes towards the age of doctors would garner such irrelevant comments about my course (which, by the way, is plainly displayed below each of my posts).

Bob.J: I'm also turning 20 next year, but at this point (ie the third decade) age doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Even doctors trained well into their thirties can give at least two decades of fully functional service (assuming retirement at 65, something that seems to happen less and less).

Estel: Ignore him, the only ones worth paying attention to are those with creative insults. Anything less is just dull.

Bob.J again: I like that view...I'm starting to think that I might not be so quick to snap up any offer for a place that comes my way. Right now I'm in a brilliant course at an excellent uni with insanely envious prospects, and I know that if I leave for a course I only half want (eg Medicine at JCU) then I'll miss my old course and be unhappy. There will always be graduate entry after all, and like you said, the experience of prior learning in a different field is never wasted.

I got another interview offer from Newcastle today. Anyone else? How do you feel about it?

HSC
    I got an interview offer too...arrrgh im still so undecided...Lexicographer, you'd be able to help - do you think its a good thing to jmp straight into a med course after finishing year 12, or would it be better to take a year off and get some worldly experiences, or do another degree and do grad med???
    I already had my interview for UNSW, and im keen to do the Newcastle interview too, but my parents are fully saying that im too young and that i need to get out into the world and have experiences before i devote my life to something as big as medicine.....
    Advice badly needed here!!!
    I can resist everything but temptation- Oscar Wilde

HSC
    To be honest, you're asking the wrong question. Do YOU think you've got what it takes, right now, to make a good doctor? After all, they're going to give you all the knowledge and understanding you need to practice medicine, but they can't teach you the personality you'll need to deal with patients every day.

Maybe graduate medicine is an option worth looking at? The best bet really is going to interview and seeing what the interviewers think of you - they're much better qualified than me at deciding who is ready to become a doctor-in-training than I am.

Hmm, I guess that's my advice then. Go to the interview, as yourself, and have a chat. Talk to the interviewers about your concerns, discuss the issues. Who knows, perhaps just by worrying about them you've already proven something worthwhile?

HSC
    lexi's right.. but tats judgin by ure story.. if ure keen enough.. it will be more interestin to do med now..
    srsly.. i thought i wasnt ready.. cos im too immature..
    -moved out of home..
    -study med..

but then i made it this far no fails... and its been a hard but worthwhile time..

realise that grad med entry is REALLI competitive.. and after that.. newcastle is the best option in my opinion.. cos its both grads and yr 12.. very challenging without losing sight of ur goals say if u did another course..

// edit: actualli lexi.. med schools do teach u to alter ure personality.. within physiological limits all good unis hav comprehensive behaviour subjects..

HSC
    i got my letter in the mail yesterday inviting me to an interview there

any tips?

HSC
    i got an interview too!! i was so stoked, coz i really didnt think i would and i so desperately wanted one. now i have to work extra hard in these darned exams so that i can get a decent uai and give myself a chance.
    im so exxcited!!
    yeh and any tips? what do they ask?
    and should i apply for a bonded place?
    B.Liberal Studies
    University of Sydney

HSC
    Ahhh!!! Well done you guys!!! That's no small achievement (and ur givin the rest of us hope... lol) !!! I'm soooo excited for u all!!! Heads down bums up for the HSC now - all the best guys!!!

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by +Po1ntDeXt3r+
    actualli lexi.. med schools do teach u to alter ure personality.. within physiological limits all good unis hav comprehensive behaviour subjects..
    Yeah but they can't just take someone who is completely unsuitable and mould them into superdoc...you need to be within the margins so to speak.

Good luck everyone! I think the best advice I can really give after going through the interview last year is BE YOURSELF. Don't try to cover up your inadequacies by airbrushing your achievements, they'll see through you in a moment. It's much better to show them that you know your limitations and weaknesses, and can address them seriously.

Also, try to be comfortable. They're very friendly up in steeltown (must be the wine) and you've got nothing to be afraid of. Loosen up, tell a joke, make friends with your interviewers.
    Last edited by Lexicographer; 23 Oct 2004 at 5:52 PM.

HSC
    Thanks lexi, thats helpful. I mean, i think i can do it, and I think im good doctor material, but i guess my parents are just thinking what would be best for me, etc etc blah blah. I'll do the interview...and take it from there...heheh i prob wont even get in!!
    I can resist everything but temptation- Oscar Wilde

HSC
    Heh, morbid outlook.

Last year I knew I wouldn't get in (what with an abysmal UAI prediction) but I got excited about it anyway. Even if you don't get an offer first time, just doing the interview is an excellent experience. If nothing else, it'll help you decide whether you're what they're looking for - and if you are, then it'll help you prepare for next time.

HSC
    hell yeah, especially when you gotta travel a bitch of a long distance to get to one interview, you start re-evaluating how much you really want to do the course.
    Of course that's just my opinion, but yeah it could be worth it in the end.

HSC
    Hey, I did it last year. Took forever on the train (I watched The Italian Job on my laptop ) but I got there, and it was worth the trip. Yes, even the bit where I had to wait forty minutes at Strathfield for the connecting train, finally getting home about 2100 with only ONE DAY to pack for a six week overseas holiday.

Outer Newcastle is pretty, they have more trees than UTS.

HSC
    everywhere has more trees than UTS.. manhattan has more trees than UTS.. :|

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes PrincessSJ's Avatar
    HSC

Outer Newcastle is pretty, they have more trees than UTS.
    and swamps... free mosquitoes
    "I like nonsense, it awakens the brain cells." -Dr. Suess
    BTeaching/BArts (Primary) UNCLE - 4th Year

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information