umat/ medicine at Newcastle (1 Viewer)

za

HSC
i would like to know if anyone here made it into medicine at newcastle uni. i really want to pursue this course and would appreciate any help on ways to go about the umat exam and how to tackle the interviews.

thnx

Last edited:

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
i didnt, but i have a friend who said it was really hard, you ahve to be a people person apparently

za

HSC
thnx for the reply
ill try n work out whether or not i fit under that category

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
my friend made it, dont ask me how, i never want him doing it, if he can make it than any1 can

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
I'm going for the UMAT thing too. Don't know why, i don't even want to do medicine (dad's making me - "to keep my choices open"). I'm thinking of doing something med related tho, like pharmacy. Then again, maybe i shouldn't. There's too many chances of killing someone and i'm not that much of a ppl person.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I applied last year, and would be in now if not for my UAI. :p

The interview was actually quite pleasant, it's the train ride there and back that got to me. There was one member from BoS last year who got in, Chudymaster, but he's probably drifted due to being a busy med student.

moz

Med Student
HSC
i'm applying this yr and have 2 friends that made it and are in 2nd yr med now.
tina: dont do pharmacy!!!!!! i've worked in a pharmacy for last 2 years to explore my interest in health care and pharmacy is a dead boring job. all they do in retail pharmacy is put stickers on boxes and get to make the occasional recommendation which usually is "you'll have to see your doctor about that". It'd be a great course cause u learn heaps, but as a job it sucks. maybe industrial work for pharmacy might be a bit betetr though.
za: as far as umat.. well its next month! supposedly u "cant study for it" but bah! just do prac questions.
rachster: interviews are nov/dec if u look at the newy website. i am not sure about length, but am told around 30-40 mins depending on answers u give and how much they love u

jessum

HSC
i really want to go to newcastle for med. really really really. i need to look into it more. but yeh. is the uai lower than unsw? coz thats what i heard... and i think im a people person :D

za

HSC
i heard at newcastle all u need is 95
if u get it ure in the same position as evryone else
i.e. someone who got 95 is the same as sum1 who got 99.95

its not like that at unsw
they look at umat interview and UAI equally, each makin up a third

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
It's 92 actually. And yes, once you're over that mark you're ranked by your interview and UMAT.

jessum

HSC
92, well thats even better. even more doable
heaps of ppl seem to tutor for maths and science and stuff.. but does anyone tutor for society and culture??? coz i heaps heaps suck! i got my pip back today.. and man it just feels like im going to be pushing it to even get a 92 UAI.. grr to teachers.. grrr to crap marks thati always seem to get
grrr

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
well good luck to all of you who have a go at it!!!! i hope you do well!!

and if not, theres always teaching!! where they dont raise the HECS fees!!! lol

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
and then you gotta cane the interview as you're up against a few hundred( say 350-400) for 59 places. Woohoo

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
well in 2002 i had a percentile score about 210-215
didnt get an interview
last year had like 250 and got one, knew someone who got 240 and got an interview
so im guessing you need about 230 to get an interview... borderline interview

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)