Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaBaba

Thread: Medicine at Newcastle

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    4

    Medicine at Newcastle

    Hi everyone,
    I've recieved an MBBS offer at Newcastle, and I was wondering where the medical buildings are located on campus. Also, which on campus residence would be most appropriate for medical students (ie closest to the medical buildings). Any advice regarding on campus accomodation in general would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,763
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Medicine at Newcastle

    This question isn't relevant but - What was your ATAR and umat? Thanks!
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

    2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

  3. #3
    Moderator strawberrye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,373
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Medicine at Newcastle

    I think you should try messaging a user called iStudent-he will be able to help you out a lot more

  4. #4
    The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    9,281
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Medicine at Newcastle

    I have personally visited the new residencies and can confirm that the apartments are pretty nice to live in. Wouldn't mind living in something similar in Sydney when I'm older.
    However you'd need to be prepared to cook, as it is apartment type living and is self catered!

    Information about new residencies
    https://www.newcastle.edu.au/future-...new-residences



    Information about places to stay
    https://www.newcastle.edu.au/future-...ving-on-campus
    “the art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing"
    ~Jean-Baptiste Colbert

    Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Don't forget to "vote"(post) in the postal plebiscite!

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Medicine at Newcastle

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    This question isn't relevant but - What was your ATAR and umat? Thanks!
    99.30/ 86th percentile
    pikachu975 likes this.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Medicine at Newcastle

    Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    I have personally visited the new residencies and can confirm that the apartments are pretty nice to live in. Wouldn't mind living in something similar in Sydney when I'm older.
    However you'd need to be prepared to cook, as it is apartment type living and is self catered!

    Information about new residencies
    https://www.newcastle.edu.au/future-...new-residences



    Information about places to stay
    https://www.newcastle.edu.au/future-...ving-on-campus
    Thanks for the reply. I've heard that there is no air conditioning in the new residences. Is Newcastle weather survivable with just a fan?

  7. #7
    New Member ManUpstairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Medicine at Newcastle

    Sorry for having to point out such a minor nuance, but the JMP (University of Newcastle and University of New England) is now following the BMedSc and MD program as opposed to the MBBS or B.Med.

    If you haven't done so already, have a look around the Med Students Online forum for helpful information about good campus residence options for medical students. There are also some current UoN medical students there who would be able to give helpful advice on campus accommodation in general.

    This (very old) thread should help to point you in the right direction: http://medstudentsonline.com.au/foru...le.7727/page-2
    Last edited by ManUpstairs; 18 Jan 2017 at 11:49 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Kat92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    797
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Medicine at Newcastle

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaBaba View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I've recieved an MBBS offer at Newcastle, and I was wondering where the medical buildings are located on campus. Also, which on campus residence would be most appropriate for medical students (ie closest to the medical buildings). Any advice regarding on campus accomodation in general would be appreciated.
    The new med science building is located on the Shortland side of campus along with a lot of the science labs. As for more of the anatomy/ hospital (Nursing) style rooms/ Allied health rooms they are located on the Hunter side of campus. If you download "lost on campus" and set it to Newcastle Uni Callaghan you can have a look at the locations of the buildings and if you get stuck on that all important first day the app has a built in GPS which will help you navigate to the room

    Also, I think med students have classes on both sides of the campus so it wouldn't really matter which accommodation you go for. Depending on how fast you walk travelling to one side of the campus to the other can take approx 10-15 mins although more if you are going slow.

    Campus accommodation: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/current.../accommodation
    Also you might want to link up with a student mentor for your program: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/current...student-mentor

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •