Noob Questions (Yr 12 Student) (1 Viewer)

AJohnston1121

HSC
I've spent like ages looking. I'am sooo confused. First off i'am an only child and I know like NOTHING about University AT ALL. I talked with my carrers advisor but I just don't know (if you know what I mean *cough* crap advice *cough*).

I want to hopefully go into after Uni (hopefully) Modern History Teaching. What UAI should I be aiming for? What was the cut off point this year?

I currently do:
Advanced English (I need to really pick up in it Low 70's) [2units]
General Math (easy hoping late 80's early 90's) [2 units]
Legal Stduies (Not too good with Mid 70's- High 70's) [2 units]
History Extension (hard to tell but should go ok like 30's) [1 unit]
Ancient History (i would say low 80's) [2 units]
Modern History (early to mid 90's) [2 units]

Second question.
How many years would I have to do Uni for? I've seen 4 years but I was told 3 years? Which is it?

Third question
I have not seen ANYWHERE. What the cost of the Course will be? I may be able to fully fund the course depending on the price and how long it goes for. IF I can fully fund the course then how much would it cost up front? I know that theres like General Fees and text books but how much does the actual course cost? I'am probably wording this all wrong, I really hope you understand what I mean.

It really sucks to be only child with no friends that have gone to Uni *sigh*

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Oh I love noob questions.
You should check out this site-:
http://ccdb.newcastle.edu.au/courseinfo/displayprogram.cfm?docid=143&FOS=2&UGPG=13
thats the course outline for bachelor of arts/bachelor of teaching. To become a modern history teacher you would do this degree.
The course will take you 4 years.
I honestly dont know how much it will cost you, however there are plenty of opportunties at university information days in which you will find this out.
The uai you need for teaching is around the low 80's mark. The 2005 main round cutoff for it was 81.10

Last edited:

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
First Q. Your target UAI is probly pretty good.. maybe a little more.. im not sure what the cutoff is, check it on UAC...

Second Q. Most probably four years, but once again look at the UAC guide for this year and check it out.

Third Q. You're in luck!! Because the government is just soooooo wonderful (hack, spit, gag) Hecs for your education (teaching) courses wont increase.. they'll be $400 - $500 per course.. as for the others (your history courses) you'll have to check what band they are in.. if you can get your hands on the HECS guide that was given to year 12 students last year it may give you a bit of an idea..

Good luck with all your history units.. it must be a hell of a workload!

hope i was of some help!
SJ

AJohnston1121

HSC
thanks for all your help. Any estimate on how much excattly? For the four years? Like just a general estimate?

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
General estimate you say. Well say you have to do 320 units, that’s about 32 courses, even tho some courses can be worth 20 units. SJ said a course costs about 500 so 32x500= 16000
So in a very general figure about $16000, which is heaps good assuming your there for 4 years. My degree will cost me around that and I’m only doing a single degree.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Craig said:
lol, dont worry sj you're still the queen of education degrees
Im a Princess!!! read the name!! there is no marriage... thats your department!!

AJohnston1121

HSC
16K ARE YOU SERIOUS. WOW. So this business with a double degree. Do I have to? And I would like to fit a Political Science Subject in there do you think thats possible?

Thanks again for your help. I'am such a noob, but a noob slowly learning :)

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
teaching is a combined degree. lol pol sci

twiddla

I've got a friend who has just started arts/ed at sydney majoring in history. I know the cut off for his course was about 88 or 90. That being said it could be very different for Newcastle. Another idea though would be to do a BA and then follow that up with a Dip Ed (the uai for a straight BA is lower) or for that matter any history based degree and follow it up with a Dip Ed. There are degrees such as a Bachelor of Archaeology which will allow you to do this and also give you the flexibility of not having to work in the education system all your life. Good to see you are doing ext history (i did it last year and got 44) this according to my history teachers was the best indication of what history would be like in uni apparently being pitched at around 2nd year level. BTW it isn't impossible to go well in the subject i had mates who got 48 for it this is a matter of putting in lots of research (yes actually reading books) and note taking on everything you get in class and read. Don't just take what you are given search for your own stuff. A good mark in th extension will push up ur uai. btw if u want u can pm me if u need help.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJohnston1121

HSC
So Nicko this Dip of Education is seperate to BA. That would probably what i would do. May I ask do you know anything aboit that?

Like How much the BA would cost then how much the Dip Ed be?

Does it still go for 4 years or will it be like 8 years?

Whats the UAI cut of for a Dip Ed and a BA?

Thanks i'am starting to understand. Sorry for being such a NOOBY :(

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
A BA is a 3 yr course and will cost about 12k (working on $500 per unit)
You then need to qualify to get into the DipEd (so I hear, at least) which is apparently pretty competetive.
To do it this way, it will still take 4 years.

For all cutoffs, check UAC, its not that difficult!!!!

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I think you should also look at the requirements in other uni's. Newcastle CAN be quite popular, meaning the UAI requirements will rise. Don't expect to get in on your first prefence, ie:

Don't put all your eggs in one basket / Don't count your chickens before they hatch

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Dip Ed at Newcastle is more for ppl who have been working in the industry and are looking to extend their qualifications etc etc

16K is quite normal i guess. my degree will be more than that because im planning on doing a special education option...

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
the way i see it, you really need to get you english mark up, then you really shouldnt have much of a problem getting the required UAI if you achieve the marks you say you can get. either way you can always just start a history degree and pick up a teaching certificate

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
You should get low 80s pretty easily based on your marks.. assessment ranks would help a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)