Newcastle (2 Viewers)

Lennie

Is the place as dodgy as i have been told??
The reason i ask is because im considering newcastle uni for next year, and whenever i tell people this, they always seem to comment on the crime rate. :uhhuh:

Also, is it hard to find jobs? and is on-campus accomodation worth it?

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
EnterNameHere said:
Is the place as dodgy as i have been told??
The reason i ask is because im considering newcastle uni for next year, and whenever i tell people this, they always seem to comment on the crime rate. :uhhuh:

Also, is it hard to find jobs? and is on-campus accomodation worth it?
dodgy:
compared to where?

crime rate:
find me a uni in a place where there is none.

jobs:
yes unless you have skills

on campus:
for sure!!!

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
dodgy:
not really. just dont go wandering drunk in the mall by yourself :p

crime rate:
not really that bad. a few break now and then on campus, mostly through people not locking windows when they are away.

jobs:
pretty hard to find unless you have the goods.

on campus:
yeah on campus is good :)

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
I moved up here from Sydney, and it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is.. And it cetainly isn't 'country'.... just Sydney on a much smaller scale and with 'friendlier' people! ..

I'm not on campus, i'm a couple of streets away from uni, so i can't comment on that personally. But i have friends who are on campus and they love it! .. i wud be there if i could afford it!

What degree are you thinking of doing?

Lennie

mrbassman said:
dodgy:
compared to where?

crime rate:
find me a uni in a place where there is none.
Compared to around here i guess. Whenever I question these sources further, they just say something general; "you cant walk down the street at night without getting bashed/raped".
But I guess that is possible everywhere. I doubt I would be careless enough to walk around the train station area at 2am.

The northern beaches (where i currently live) is quite a sheltered area to live in by comparison to most. I mean, around here, the only stories in the local paper are really public appeals to get some 8 year olds stolen bike back.
Haha. This place sounds so lame.

evilc said:
jobs:
pretty hard to find unless you have the goods.
Damn. Im not blessed with "I'll pay for everything" parents. Is it really that tough? How hard is it to find a 'retail' type job?

nessie_lee said:
I moved up here from Sydney, and it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is.. And it cetainly isn't 'country'.... just Sydney on a much smaller scale and with 'friendlier' people! ..

I'm not on campus, i'm a couple of streets away from uni, so i can't comment on that personally. But i have friends who are on campus and they love it! .. i wud be there if i could afford it!

What degree are you thinking of doing?
So I'm guessing you havent found the transition hard. What part of sydney are you from?
Im hoping to get into psychology, anywhere but in sydney.

A few more things...

Would I be okay there if I didnt drive?
Is it relatively easy to make friends?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'd be more concerned walking around Sydney at night than I am Newcastle.

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
EnterNameHere said:
Would I be okay there if I didnt drive?
Is it relatively easy to make friends?
At the moment, yes. If they kill of the train line, then you'll have to rely on the buses (not that they're bad; I just personally prefer the train). Or if you live close to uni, you shouldn't have to worry.
It's not as easy to make friends at uni as it is in high school. Put the effort in and you'll make them. Otherwise you'll be lonely.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
I'd be more concerned walking around Sydney at night than I am Newcastle.
Even when walking down Ping st?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Heh, King St is a whole other world. Go the old druggies!

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
I'm comfortable walking around Newcastle by myself... nowhere near as comfortable in Sydney.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Umm, you are all making out like Newcastle is Down Town Las Angeles or something:confused:. Newcastle is fine:).

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
me and another girl have walked thru the mall after midnight several times and been fine (maybe were silly) and im not scared about walking around at night at all, i wouldnt by myself tho

um everythings pretty spread out tho but some people survive without cars

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
yupyup.. ditto to what everyone has said... and its not that hard to get a job... shower everywhere with your resumé... and if you have an RSA/RCG even better.... but yeah.. you'll pick something up in retail most probably...

lol.. theres a shoe shop in jeso with an advert in their window atm...

aahh if i didnt have such a wonderful job already!

rific

HSC
We have a comparatively high unemployment rate, but it's not too bad. Trains and buses are fairly regular - I don't drive and it hasn't been a problem. Friends are easy enough to come by, just invite some people into town one night, simple.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
yupyup.. ditto to what everyone has said... and its not that hard to get a job... shower everywhere with your resumé... and if you have an RSA/RCG even better.... but yeah.. you'll pick something up in retail most probably...

lol.. theres a shoe shop in jeso with an advert in their window atm...

aahh if i didnt have such a wonderful job already!
where do you work?!?

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
Umm, you are all making out like Newcastle is Down Town Las Angeles or something:confused:. Newcastle is fine:).

Yeah Newcastle is fine!!! the druggos and Drunks are very friendly at Hamilton :D

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
anyone else finish exams today? I finish at 11 and will be hitting the customs in force later tonight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)