Tatum and Beadle (1 Viewer)

Student2

HSC
N/A
Can some one tell me the variables in Tatum and Beatles experiment.

And if they identified the relationship between gene and polypeptide.

Thanks.

ghuy

HSC
Hey!

They did identify the link between a gene and polypeptide. They hypothesised that the mould would require certain enzymes to convert the mould into amino acids. After striking xrays to the mould that they were growing, a mutation occurred within one of the codons, and was returned in the minimal medium (culture with the minimum amount of nutrients necessary for growth) which the mould was growing and they observed whether or not it flourished or not. If it survived it was discarded and if it was dying, they changed the minimal medium discovering that it grew through the supplication of certain nutrients and amino acids. Originally it was thought that a mutation in one gene affects the development of one protein, which was later disproved as a gene only codes for polypeptides and it requires multiple polypeptides to generate proteins.

TL;DR

Relationship

mutation in one Gene=alteration in the amino acids generated=alteration in one polypeptide
mutation in one gene ≠alteration in the generation of one protein

I hope this helped :)

Student2

HSC
N/A
Ok thank you. I had an assignment,where I had to evaluate their work, and I wrote contributed to DNA DNA hybridisation find the relationship between gene and polypeptides.. Would this be right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)