Effects of temperature change on Australian plants/animals question (1 Viewer)

e__llie

HSC
Scientists at a climate research unit estimate that global land areas will have warmed at an average rate of 0.07C per decade from 1901 to 2000

Analyse possible effects of temperature change on Australian plants and animals with regard to the short term survival of individuals and long term survival of species.

Anyone know how to answer this? I've been looking online but there are no sample answers or anything. I vaguely know how to answer but its 8 marks so I wouldn't be able to get in depth enough

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Just some general info:

- Plants in Australia will survive because they are already adapted to hot environments.
- Include examples such as Eucalyptus (vertically hanging leaves, regulating stomata opening times) or responses such as phototaxis or producing heat-shock proteins at 40 degrees to protect enzymes/proteins in leaves.
- Also include animal examples such as the red kangaroo (endotherm) and frilled neck lizard (ectotherm) and their short/long term survival.

HeroWise

HSC
Metabolic rate is important too, so like a lot of carnivores died out and marsupials became more abundant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)