measuring the size of red and white blood cells. (1 Viewer)

Becky222

Hmm..
HSC
hey
i have the method and everything but im lacking the results. any chance anyone has notes on the experiment of measuring the size of red and white blood cells?

samthebear

HSC
did you use grids to measure the field of view? but since you said you've done the prac i'll just assume you did and give you the results:

Red blood cells should be about 7 micometres (in diametre) and white blood cells should be around 10-12 micrometers (in diametre).

lingons1

HSC
HI,

Measuring of the red blood cells,In humans, mature red blood cells are flexible biconcave disks that lack aand most The cells develop in thand circulate for about 100-120 days in the body before their components are recycled by Each circulation takes about 20 seconds. Approximately a quarter of the cells in the human body are red blood cells.

Thank you....

HSC
N/A
Estimated diameter of small (400x) field of view: 0.45mm
Estimated number of red blood cells (400x): 53
Estimated size (diameter) of a red blood cell: 0.45mm/53 = 8.5 x 10-3 mm x 1000 = 8.5 micrometers

This is just an example of results. Your results may vary slightly, however the method stays the same, use the size of the mini-grid/field of view to calculate the RBC size.

bhaynes

HSC
could someone please explain the method? using it for an assignment, would help me understand the prac

useless stick

HSC
To measure a rbc first you must set up the light microscope appropriately. The magnification really doesn't matter so long as you manage to spot the cells, but I would recommend using a X40 magnification. Once you can see the cells you use grid paper or a ruler to measure the field of view or the circle of light produced by the microscope on the sample. Once you have the field of view diameter in millimetres, multiply the length by 1000 to get the length in micrometres. Next you divide this length by the magnification as you are zooming in and reducing the diameter. After this you estimate how many cells would fit along the diameter, you then divide the length of the diameter by the amount of cells.

Working out.
The length of the field of view was 2mm
2x1000=2000micrometers
2000/40=500
I estimated that there were around 70 cells
500/70=7.14 micrometres

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)