Why do we need both B and T Cells? (1 Viewer)

SunnyScience

HSC
I understand how each works etc.etc. But why are both needed? If they both effectively kill pathogens, what's the point?

This dotpoint(s) is/are driving me insane. =_="

thank you.

RishBonjour

HSC
Isn't it because one facilitates "cell-mediated" immune response while the other is humoral ?

For example, when a virus infects you and injects its genetic material into your cell reproduction mechanism. B cells can't attack it, but its the cytotoxic T cells that attack the CELL, resulting in cell death (which kills the virus along with it).

When pathogens are OUTSIDE cells, that is, in the blood or lymph--> B cells come to the rescue

correct me If I'm wrong (might be)

MK888

HSC
For antibody mediated:
The helper T-cells stimulate the cloning of the B cells when they recognise the 'foreign' ----> some become memory b cells that remain in the body ------> Most of these b cells form plasma cells ---> plasma cells secrete the antibodies

So basically, without the T cells the B cells cannot be stimulated to grow therefore both are needed :)

It is true that B cells aren't invovled in cell-mediated immunity though

Aysce

HSC
Isn't it because one facilitates "cell-mediated" immune response while the other is humoral ?

For example, when a virus infects you and injects its genetic material into your cell reproduction mechanism. B cells can't attack it, but its the cytotoxic T cells that attack the CELL, resulting in cell death (which kills the virus along with it).

When pathogens are OUTSIDE cells, that is, in the blood or lymph--> B cells come to the rescue

Very nice answer.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A

You pretty much nailed question. Very true.

Maddi295

HSC
Don't T cells attack the macrophages which have been involved in phagocytosis, and hence have the pathogen/antigen inside of them?
So the T cell is effectively destroying the macrophage AND the foreign particle?

Aysce

HSC
Don't T cells attack the macrophages which have been involved in phagocytosis, and hence have the pathogen/antigen inside of them?
So the T cell is effectively destroying the macrophage AND the foreign particle?
The macrophage would've already destroyed the foreign particle via phagocytosis though, so there is no need for Cytoxic T-cells to attack the macrophages.

madharris

HSC
N/A
enzymes break down the macrophages with the foreign bodies in them

useless stick

HSC
My teacher used this analogy, the b cells are like hitmen. They get a picture of the target (the antigen) and then they start sh*ting out antibodies that immobilise the virus or bacteria so that it cannot move or multiply, they immobilise them long enough so that the white blood cells that are death bots that search and destroy can get at them. The helper t cells just want to help (help direct the response of other white blood cells) and cytotoxic t cells are like bombers that blow up the factories that produce the disease. Kind of like a plane bombing a tank factory, your not going to get anywhere by targetting the individual tanks, your body isn't going to get better if your cells only attack the virus cells and not the cells that produce them.

Hope it helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)