Identifying microorganisms (1 Viewer)

belvilpiet

HSC
I am finding difficulty filling out my risk assessment table for my microorganism practical. can anyone help to identify and outline the risk factors involved with this experiment??? any help would be very much appreciated. :)

bengosha60

Peasant
HSC
you could say that growing bacteria is dangerous as it is able to cause infections and spread illness. The plates need to be sealed tightly and never reopened to prevent this. Also hands should be washed thoroughly with soap after the experiment.

belvilpiet

HSC
thankyou for your suggestion :) would you have any other suggestions because i need two more risk factors

bengosha60

Peasant
HSC
you could say all equipment used should be autoclaved (sterilised) and that the petri dishes should be disposed off in the correct manner (biohazard bag).

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
What is the danger? We may be growing bacteria and fungi which are pathogenic
Why is it dangerous? Pathogens may invade our bodies and cause disease
How can we avoid the danger?
- When inoculating keep the lid of the petri dish at an angle of 45 degrees, the angle has to be away from your mouth
-Don't cough//sneeze into the agar plate---> you could grow potentially pathogenic bacteria and fungi
-Try to expose your agar plate to the air as little as possible
-Use sterile loops ( metal) or sterile cotton buds. Sterile meaning does not have any micro organisms on them--> means we don't contaminate our sample
-Plates are sealed, never to be reopened. If we are growing any pathogenic bacteria/fungus it gives them less chance to invade our body
-Wash hands ( before and after the experiment) and disinfect the bench before and after the experiment
-Use gloves
-Autoclave agar plates after the experiment. Then put them into a biohazard bag and taken away to be incinerated.

:headbang: Fun times

bengosha60

Peasant
HSC
What is the danger? We may be growing bacteria and fungi which are pathogenic
Why is it dangerous? Pathogens may invade our bodies and cause disease
How can we avoid the danger?
- When inoculating keep the lid of the petri dish at an angle of 45 degrees, the angle has to be away from your mouth
-Don't cough//sneeze into the agar plate---> you could grow potentially pathogenic bacteria and fungi
-Try to expose your agar plate to the air as little as possible
-Use sterile loops ( metal) or sterile cotton buds. Sterile meaning does not have any micro organisms on them--> means we don't contaminate our sample
-Plates are sealed, never to be reopened. If we are growing any pathogenic bacteria/fungus it gives them less chance to invade our body
-Wash hands ( before and after the experiment) and disinfect the bench before and after the experiment
-Use gloves
-Autoclave agar plates after the experiment. Then put them into a biohazard bag and taken away to be incinerated.

:headbang: Fun times
Very well put ^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)