Lymphocytes (1 Viewer)

astab

HSC
N/A
Hi all!

There are a few things I'm trying to wrap my head around in terms of the second and third line of defenses.

First off, how is the lymph system related to the second line of defense? I've read different books and notes. They all agree that lymph nodes store and secrete lymphocytes to produce a specific immune response, so it clearly relates to the third line of defense, but how does it non-specifically react against any antigen or microbe?

Also, "Biology: the spectrum of life" says that phagocytosis is a precursor to a specific immune response because macrophages have histocompatibility markers that recognise antigens, process and present them to helper T-cells that activate cytotoxic T-cells. What are the chances of this link being examined in a HSC exam and how important is it to remember?

Finally, where are the B-cells and T-cells produced? I always get muddled up as to which one is produced in the bone marrow and which one matures in the thymus gland?

Ps. I know defence is spelt with a "c" instead of an "s" but I'm too lazy to combat the autocorrect!

Cheers!

HSC
B cells are produced in the bone marrow and mature in the bone marrow.
T cells also formed in the bone marrow, however they mature in the thymus gland.

There is a dot point where you need to address how B and T cells interact with one another.

astab

HSC
N/A
Thanks heaps man!

May I ask what textbook you used?
Are you selling that particular bio textbook by any chance?

HSC
Thanks heaps man!

May I ask what textbook you used?
Are you selling that particular bio textbook by any chance?
Hey man I used an array of textbooks and made my own notes! After the hsc I continued fixing my notes and I have plentiful diagrams! I am only selling biology notes, all 3 modules for $10. Look at the link in my signature, there is a sample there as well :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)