imbalance of microflora (1 Viewer)

kow_dude

HSC
- gather, process and present information from secondary sources to show how a named disease results from an imbalance of microflora in humans.

I don't get it.... what's it asking?

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/biology/core/better_health/9_4_4/944net.html#net1 says that we have to write about the cause, symptoms and effects of a disease.... is that correct? Would it be okay if i choose to study oral thrush?

Last edited:
The syllabus is asking to examine what disease results from an imbalance of microflora in humans. Microflora are the entire population of microorganisms present in a characteristic or special location. These are made up of a combination of probiotic and pathogenic bacteria and fungi. An imbalance of microflora can result in a number of infections, bacterial and fungal nature. Candidiasis is an example resulting from Candida albicans.

Thrush can result from an imbalance of microflora in the mouth, but I believe thrush is more common in the vagina of women after taking antibiotics.

Once bacteria in the vagina die, previously competing more successfully for the nutrients and space there, fungi can take over and when they do it results in thrush.

Cause: Imbalance of microflora resulting from taking of antibiotics
Symptoms: Discharge, itching, soreness, swelling, pain etc.
Effects: It is meant to clear up on its own without treatment, but it will take longer and it will just prolong the discomfort.
Prevention: Taking narrow spectrum antibiotics, eating bacterial cultures like yoghurt and yakult whilst on antibiotics, not douching, wearing cotton and not overly tight underpants and clothing, not leaving implants in too long (tampons, cervical caps, diaphrgams etc.), prophylactic thrush treatment concurrently with antibiotics if prone, avoding perfumed soaps, bubble baths and other substances which disrupt the pH of the vaginal area and wiping from front to back as candida in the bowel can spread to the vagina.

kow_dude

HSC
oh kool thanks, that really cleared things up!
My teacher said something about 'microflora' being the environment of the internal body. And he gave us information about influenza (that was suppose to answer the other dot point about the close study of an infectious disease).... very puzzling. Thanks again MaryTylerMoore

Do we need to know the preventions to satisfy this dot point?

I don't think you have to, you just need to know the cause and effect relationship. But you could just know it in case?

cko

HSC
thrush can also occur between the toes (tinea) and other moist/damp, warm places like under the breast and in the armpits... altho serzly tha only way to get thrust under ur boobs is if u like excessively sweat n never wash, who tha hell wud do THAT

youngs

HSC
Do you know any other diseases besides Candida albicans, because i need another three

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
you can also get thrush within the lining of the gastro-intestinal systems and the brain (highly uncommon but not heard of) due to the same bacteria that is present within the gastrointestinal lining

Chrons disease can develop aswell from, the imbalance of same microflora that causes thrush, but is very different (look into it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)