A past HSC Biology Maintaining a Balance Question! Please help me! (1 Viewer)

perfect_love502

HSC
Please help me with this question:
A small Australian mamal that lives in the alpine regions of NSW has specific features that enable it to retain body heat. Identify the features that are most likely to be present in the mammal describe.

I dont get the answer: Short ears, rounded body, short legs.

please explain this question in terms of surface area and volume ratio.

yalando

HSC
Retaining body heat
Short ears reduce the surface area through which heat can escape the blood meaning it retains it
Rounded body again achieves this
Short legs again reduces the animals surface area through which heat can be lost
The fact its SMALL also shows this.
If an animal's Surface Area : Volume ratio is large as in 2:1 like the bilby It'll lose heat rapidly which is benefical. In this case it would be like a mountain pygmy possum which would have a ratio of 1:1 or 1:2 which means it can retain heat as it redues its SA exposed. through short legs rounded body and short ears.

yalando

HSC
Retaining body heat
Short ears reduce the surface area through which heat can escape the blood meaning it retains it
Rounded body again achieves this
Short legs again reduces the animals surface area through which heat can be lost
The fact its SMALL also shows this.
If an animal's Surface Area : Volume ratio is large as in 2:1 like the bilby It'll lose heat rapidly which is benefical. In this case it would be like a mountain pygmy possum which would have a ratio of 1:1 or 1:2 which means it can retain heat as it redues its SA exposed. through short legs rounded body and short ears.

That is it redues the exposed SA compared to its volume

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)