Good Biology Tutors???? (1 Viewer)

ultimatecricker

HSC
Are there any good tutors for Biology in the Fairfield - Liverpool area? I heard Matrix is good for sciences but its just too far and takes too much time for travel.

Also how would you properly address the dot point - Compare osmosis and diffusion. How many points would you need.

jnney

lemon
HSC
-osmosis is a type of diffusion

similarities:

-substances randomly move from a region of high to low concentration (along a concentration gradient) and ceases at equilibrium
-occurs via passive transport i.e. without the expenditure of energy
-both processes are relatively slow (compared to active transport)

differences:

-osmosis requires movement through a semi permeable membrane whilst diffusion does not
-osmosis only involves the movement of water, whereas diffusion can involve the movement of any material

jnney

lemon
HSC
Out of curiosity, why do you need a tutor?

such_such

HSC
PEAK is starting one soon and there's also C2C - both at Canley heights

jnney

lemon
HSC
Thanks for the help. Lol i want a tutor so i am forced to frequently study. Or else i tend to procrastinate alot.
I think you should try to overcome that problem instead, because in university and out in the workforce there isn't always going to be someone watching over you to make sure you're on track.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think you should try to overcome that problem instead, because in university and out in the workforce there isn't always going to be someone watching over you to make sure you're on track.
This.

Here is an example. I am constantly angry because of a leaky roof. Do I solve it by consantly putting empty buckets under the hole, or do I solve it by patching up the hole once and for all? Sure, putting a bucket underneath is a fast temporary solution, but which option will benefit you more in the long run?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
This.

Here is an example. I am constantly angry because of a leaky roof. Do I solve it by consantly putting empty buckets under the hole, or do I solve it by patching up the hole once and for all? Sure, putting a bucket underneath is a fast temporary solution, but which option will benefit you more in the long run?
Dammit can't rep you. Listen to this man, wise words.

ultimatecricker

HSC
Well i didnt mean that i procrastinated too much and didnt study. I still study quite frequently, and I feel that with tutoring I would probably study more and get more notes.

Last edited:

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Well i didnt mean that i procrastinated too much and didnt study. I still study quite frequently, and I feel that with tutoring I would probably study more and get more notes.
But isn't Biology supposed to be more content and memorisation based? So basically, it would be about how much you study + know the content rather than understand the calculations of this and that, or understand the concept behind something. Generally, tutoring is required for conceptual subjects such as Maths, Phys and Chem (only non-conceptual one is English tutoring, which is fairly common).

planino

HSC
Diffusion is the movement of a substance across a semi permeable membrane from an area of high to an area of low concentration (which can either be inside or outside the cell). There is no energy (ATP) input and carrier proteins are not needed.
Oxygen molecules can diffuse into and out of cells

Facilitated diffusion is the same as above, but with the use of a carrier protein. Certain larger molecules are not able to diffuse directly into the cell and so need carrier proteins that form a channel through the phospholipid bilayer so the larger molecule can pass into/out of the cell. These larger molecules (carbohydrates etc.) have a unique carrier protein that will only allow passage to that molecule (yes this sentence doesn't make much sense :p)
Glucose, amino acids can move into/out of cells through facilitated diffusion

Osmosis is the diffusion of water, and solutions with water as the solvent

Active transport makes use of carrier proteins, energy input and movement is often against the concentration gradient ( moving from an are of low to high
concentration). NOTE: I'm not sure whether this another type of diffusion
Nutrient ions can move into/out of cells via active transport (some may move through facilitated diffusion)
another note: I'm not intending to show off, I've got my bio half yearly in less than two weeks and wanted to regurgitate out what I know
The dot pts relating to osmosis and diffusion:
- Compare the processes of diffusion and osmosis
- Perform a 1st hand investigation to model the selectively permeable nature of a cell membrane (experiment)
- Perform a 1st hand investigation to demonstrate the difference between osmosis and diffusion (experiment)

Hope this helped :)

HSC
Compare osmosis and diffusion.

If i see this question on a test, it would acceptably be worth 6 marks. For 6 marks, you need 6 points. Then again, it may be only worth 4 but there may be around 8 lines. The amount of lines is also a good indicator of how much you need to write.

List the 3 main points for each, here are some points

Diffusion
-Is the process whereby molecules pass through a selectively permeable membrane from areas of high to low concentration.
-Involves liquid as well as gases.
-dissolved particles that are small or non-polar (not charged ions) can diffuse through the cell membrane

Osmosis
-The process whereby water molecules pass through a membrane from areas of high to low concentration.
-Involves only water molecules.

You may also like to list some similarities:

Osmosis and Diffusion is used to reach equilibrium. Equilibrium is a condition in which the concentration of a substance is equal throughout a space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)