Which of chemistry, bio, and physics should i chose???? (1 Viewer)

Anon9796

HSC
N/A
Other than interest, what factors should influence my choice of the three sciences?Are there certain skills more important in one than another? I've looked at their HSC papers and there doesn't seem much difference between the three, except in content.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Imo I think chemistry if you're only going to pick one as you will have more options after school (most science courses recommend chem)

I also think its more fun and interesting than bio but I can't say much for physics as I don't do it.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Chem and bio.

Physics is not great.

Yay.

Lolly_Polly

HSC
Bio is the easiest
Chem is good if you have a good teacher lol
Physics is hard as hell =.="

nightweaver066

HSC
In Physics, once you've wrapped your head around the concepts, it isn't too bad.

Personally, i find physics far more interesting than chemistry. Just that chemistry is easier haha.

Last edited:

TheGdadz

HSC
I do all 3, Biology is moderately easy, I find chem moderately easy again (1st in class) and is the more interesting and practical of the 3, and Physics is extremely hard, although I do fairly well. But it really is all up to you and what your preferences are.

such_such

HSC
Well most of the people in my grade who chose chemistry are going to drop it by the end of year 11 - due to the demand of work and difficulty. They had the misconception that chemistry was easier than physics (assuming they already chose biology).

I personally find physics easier than chemistry... but you know different people, different opinions. I thought it was a pain at first, but now it's swapped around.
In terms of maths: Physics is more maths based than chemistry, but the maths in chemistry is pretty hard compared to physics.

All you can really do right now is lightly read over the syllabi and some textbooks too.

Oh and the prac reports I write for chemistry are different to those in physics and biology too. They do overlap but they're not completely the same.

This is badly structured sorry.

planino

HSC
If you're only going to choose one, as mentioned earlier, choose chem as its better for uni (even for med) etc.
If you plan to do engineering however, choose physics.

Physics is largely concept and skill based, once you've got your head around the concepts (which is hard), then the subject should be doable. Physics definitely sounds like the 'cool' science, but it's by far the hardest for many and this can get frustrating.

Chemistry is a decent mix of content and concept/skill and personally, I find it's the most suitable. (I like mixing substances together too, so chem's my favourite science). Understanding chem will help you with certain aspects of other sciences (and vice versa to varying extents).

Biology is largely rote learning, but is a great companion to chem and if you love living things (this includes plants), then choose it. I'm loving it so far (though admittedly, my teacher is amaze-balls). The Y11 syllabus doesn't facilitate much fun, but apparently things get a LOT better in year 12 (defs looking forward to it, so give bio a chance) :)

If you end up wanting to do two sciences, do either chem/phys or chem/bio since there are overlaps and often one science will help the other (cos chem's versatile like that).

Ultimately it all comes down to interest, and you're going to have to devote heaps of time to any science you choose. Equations should be second nature for chem, helps HEAPS in the 1st and 2nd topics), and although I'm not familiar with the study tactics for physics, you're gunna have to practice heaps. With bio, go over your material regularly so you can keep up to date in class (though this can be said of any subject)

For chem, memorise the symbols (and valencies) of the 1st 20 elements, Fe, Ag, Pb, Cu, Zn as they're the most common elements found in Y11 equations. Also memorise the ammonium (NH4+) , carbonate(CO32-, phosphate (PO43-), sulfate(SO42-), nitrate(NO3-), hydroxide (OH-) polyatomic ions. Sound daunting? Once these are second nature, you'll be able to focus on harder chem content in class, rather than racking your brains for the formula of iron(II) hydroxide.

Chem: you'll relearn some y7 material in the 1st module (The Chemical Earth), but the module is quite fun and does get challenging. Chem in Y11 takes time to get interesting though, and certain topics such as moles etc. can be challenging for SOME (like me. Took me several weeks to get used to them), but fun in the end.
Bio: for all of Y11, you've gotta love your plants! If you do, or if you've got an awesome teacher (I fit into both, yay) then you're fine. Otherwise wait for Y12 or just drop
Physics: Not too sure (I don't do it), but feedback from many hasn't been exactly positive. Syllabus looks interesting though. The subject's half yearly average was lower than that of the other two sciences however. Someone else can help you out with physics though.

One thing though, for any science, pracs count for a lot more than you think they do. Simply memorising your material won't do it (not even for bio, and certainly not for physics) . If you have any problems, chase up your teacher to iron out any issues (or just ask here). Basically with pracs and skills based stuff, you apply your content (This is heavily oversimplified. Blasphemy, I know)

This isn't the best, and the ungodly time of night hasn't helped it (and neither has my bias toward chem/bio. Phys is cool, I just found it so damn hard in Y10!), but I hope this helps :D

Science is a wonderfully interesting subject area, and I'm sure you'll love it :D Best of luck for Y11/12

Last edited:

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
I think i'm the only person in my school to do bio/physics. it's an interesting combination, they don't overlap at all but i find that good because i'm learning about 2 completely different areas. I honestly don't think it matters which combination you pick as long as you're happy with your choices. Physics has a lot of content but many equations included whereas biology is for the main part content which you just need to remember.
As for your skills question it comes down to what you want to do after school but if you don't know what that is (i still don't) then just pick what you enjoy :)

planino

HSC
bio/physics
That is quite odd actually, and uncommon too. I think more people do all 3 sciences than those that do just phys/bio :L But if it's all working out toward your favour than it's all good. I personally wouldn't survive with that combo.

Just curious, do more people do chem/bio or chem/phys? I suspect the latter combo is the most common

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
That is quite odd actually, and uncommon too. I think more people do all 3 sciences than those that do just phys/bio :L But if it's all working out toward your favour than it's all good. I personally wouldn't survive with that combo.

Just curious, do more people do chem/bio or chem/phys? I suspect the latter combo is the most common
i think more people do phys/chem haha, but there's a lot of people who do chem/bio too

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
biology worst choice of my life.
most mind-numbing and tiresome subject everrrrrrr.

kwu1

HSC
I do chem and bio. Just seems like chem has a lot more theory and memory work than bio.

Bio seems more relevant to me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)