Biology Support Forum (any questions may be asked) (1 Viewer)

gada1

HSC
Hello everybody. If you have any difficulties regarding the content currently being encountered in the HSC biology course, please let me know

gada1

HSC
Biology Support Forum (any questions may be asked)

Hello everybody. If you have any difficulties regarding the content currently being encountered in the HSC biology course, please let me know. I am currently coming 1st in Biology with an internal mark of 95% so I would gladly be able to address any difficulties or queries that you may have. Chemistry questions will also be answered.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Question: i know that in plants, the leaf is a food source and that it would bring sucrose and other nutrients to a sink cell where the product of photosynthesis is required for cell growth E.g. root cells. However, sometimes when there is excess sucrose, the leaf would transport it to a storage site such as the roots. Would you say that the root cells in plant as a source in a case where it provides the required sucrose to other organs during a time when sucrose levels are low in the plant?

gada1

HSC
Question: i know that in plants, the leaf is a food source and that it would bring sucrose and other nutrients to a sink cell where the product of photosynthesis is required for cell growth E.g. root cells. However, sometimes when there is excess sucrose, the leaf would transport it to a storage site such as the roots. Would you say that the root cells in plant as a source in a case where it provides the required sucrose to other organs during a time when sucrose levels are low in the plant?
Hello.
Actually, the transported sucrose and other nutrients through translocation along the phloem through the 'Source-Path-Sink Theory' to the sink could result in:
-a storage of the sugars for later use
-respiration, which some plant cells undertake.
(just to clarify your understanding :) )
To answer your question. You're right. When the source produces more sugars (sucrose and other nutrient) than it requires through photosynthetic processes, it will begin to diffuse into the phloem cytoplasm (via plasmodesmata) which draws water from the xylem through osmosis, it increases osmotic pressure, then the sugars are ACTIVELY transported to the source (up and down the phloem vessels) for the reasons I stated above.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Hello.
Actually, the transported sucrose and other nutrients through translocation along the phloem through the 'Source-Path-Sink Theory' to the sink could result in:
-a storage of the sugars for later use
-respiration, which some plant cells undertake.
(just to clarify your understanding :) )
To answer your question. You're right. When the source produces more sugars (sucrose and other nutrient) than it requires through photosynthetic processes, it will begin to diffuse into the phloem cytoplasm (via plasmodesmata) which draws water from the xylem through osmosis, it increases osmotic pressure, then the sugars are ACTIVELY transported to the source (up and down the phloem vessels) for the reasons I stated above.
thank you :D

ksg

HSC
wow noob can't deal with it or answer the tough question so deletes all the comments. noob/10

ksg

HSC
explain the source sink theory in terms of lenz law, change in flux, mitosis and haber process. hence or otherwise use le chataliers principle. 5 marks

gada1

HSC
This forum is still in progress. Any questions will gladly be answered. I understand that there is A LOT of content in biology, so helping each other will reduce the necessary study time we have at home.

Cheers :)
Gada1.

gada1

HSC
explain the source sink theory in terms of lenz law, change in flux, mitosis and haber process. hence or otherwise use le chataliers principle. 5 marks
My mind is the source and yours is the sink. I am willing to help unless your intelligence is equivalent to a daughter cell produced in mitosis. And as you move toward this forum, the moderator will generate an induced power to repel you away in order to adhere to the Law Of Conservation of stupidity through Lenz's law.
Hope that answers your question :)

KiaraZ

HSC
Hi.
I'm doing an assignment about radioactive tracers travelling through xylem and I have a question which is not even part of the assignment but would help my understanding of the concept.

If water is needed for photosynthesis, why does it evaporate through the stomates?
I thought photolysis occurred so how is there any water left to evaporate?

Thank you

KiaraZ

HSC
Another question...

How does water get from the xylem to lenticels????

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
How do you know if a species is ectothermic or endothermic?
Endothermic means warm blooded, so these are usually mammals and birds.
Whereas ectothermic is cold blooded, so we have reptiles etc.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Ok..

If you had two species that lived in hot environment (desert).. and one of them ranged body temperature bewtween 8-26 degrees, and the other is between 34-36 degrees....

which one/s are ectothermic/endothermic
endothermic would be the one with a limited temperature range and can undergo thermoregulation hence it would be 34-36 degrees. Ectothermic would vary with the environment hence it would be the one with a much larger and variable range 8-26 degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)