Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: HSC Biology Marathon 2015

HSC

Re: HSC Biology Marathon 2015

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedPenguino View Post
    How does the amino acid attached to the tRNA gets accumulated onto another amino acid (attached to another tRNA) during translation? Is it through an enzyme? If so, anyone knows the name of it?
    What you are talking about is during protein synthesis (inside the ribosome), I believe this process is known as dehydration (removal of a water molecule). The amino acids form peptide bonds to each other, hence joining together to form an unfolded amino acid chain (since the bonds are peptide bonds, i'm pretty sure this can also be called a polypeptide bond!). The unfolded polypeptide bond then leaves the ribosome whilst folding into a protein!

I believe the amino acids processed by an anticodon, which I THINK is an enzyme.

Hope i'm right!
    Last edited by brianchau3; 29 Apr 2015 at 10:54 PM.

HSC
    N/A

How does the amino acid attached to the tRNA gets accumulated onto another amino acid (attached to another tRNA) during translation? Is it through an enzyme? If so, anyone knows the name of it?
    Each type of amino acid is attached to it's specific tRNA, so if it is already attached to one and gets accumulated onto another, it has to be specific to the next one too. An enzyme called aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase, attaches amino acids to tRNA molecules.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGas View Post
    Each type of amino acid is attached to it's specific tRNA, so if it is already attached to one and gets accumulated onto another, it has to be specific to the next one too. An enzyme called aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase, attaches amino acids to tRNA molecules.
    Yeah i understand how the amino acid gets attached to the trna (with aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase) but idk how the amino then gets transferred to the other amino acid (which is attached to the tRNA)

HSC
    N/A

Yeah i understand how the amino acid gets attached to the trna (with aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase) but idk how the amino then gets transferred to the other amino acid (which is attached to the tRNA)
    Where have you read this?

HSC

Where have you read this?
    everywhere.. it is part of the polypeptide synthesis process. it was shown by my bio teacher but she didnt explain on the transference of amino acid

HSC

Screenshot_2015-05-04-18-27-11-1.png

q: State the probability of a second child of greta and gary inherting the allele

HSC
    N/A

Screenshot_2015-05-04-18-27-11-1.png

q: State the probability of a second child of greta and gary inherting the allele
    Are you sure this pedigree is correct? Because if two non-affected parents produce an affected offspring (In this case, Gary and Greta are the unaffected parents, and Karen is the affected offspring), the trait is recessive because one of the parents must hold the recessive trait. So let's assume any of the parents, Gary or Greta are "Bb", because they can't be "BB" (If one of them was BB, then none of the children would have the trait) and they can't be "bb" (If one of them was bb, then they would be shaded, but none of the parents, Gary or Greta are shaded). So if Gary or Greta are 'Bb" then Karen should not be affected because if you use a punnet square, the first child in F1 would not be affected.

HSC

Are you sure this pedigree is correct? Because if two non-affected parents produce an affected offspring (In this case, Gary and Greta are the unaffected parents, and Karen is the affected offspring), the trait is recessive because one of the parents must hold the recessive trait. So let's assume any of the parents, Gary or Greta are "Bb", because they can't be "BB" (If one of them was BB, then none of the children would have the trait) and they can't be "bb" (If one of them was bb, then they would be shaded, but none of the parents, Gary or Greta are shaded). So if Gary or Greta are 'Bb" then Karen should not be affected because if you use a punnet square, the first child in F1 would not be affected.
    I dont think there is a problem with the pedigree. Cant both gary and greta be Bb? So 25% of their offspring is affected which Karen is part of.

HSC
    N/A

I dont think there is a problem with the pedigree. Cant both gary and greta be Bb? So 25% of their offspring is affected which Karen is part of.
    If both parents were Bb, then the first child would be BB but Karen has to be bb because Karen is affected.

HSC
    N/A

Ah, the answer is 0%, am I right?

HSC

Ah, the answer is 0%, am I right?
    Nop lol

HSC
    N/A

Nop lol
    It has to be, because if one of the parents were BB, then none of the children would be affected, so as a result, both parents have to be Bb, this results in BB, Bb, Bb, bb, and since the child already has the disease, then the next child would definitely not inherit the disease so there's a 0% chance of the next child inheriting (if that makes sense).

HSC

Heres an easy one, what is enantiostasis? And provide an example of a plant that undergoes this as well as its adaptations.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by useless stick View Post
    Heres an easy one, what is enantiostasis? And provide an example of a plant that undergoes this as well as its adaptations.
    Enantiostasis is the maintenance of metabolic and physiological functions in response to variations in the environment. An example of a plant would be the mangroves. Their adaptations include salt excretion, (salt is excreted from the underside of the leaves), salt exclusion (salt is excluded from special glands in the leaves) and salt accumulation (salt is accumulated on old leaves that drop off).

HSC
    N/A

Which of the following definitions of transgenic organisms is correct?

A) They are created when the DNA from an organism of one species is inserted into the DNA of an organism of another species
    B) They are hybrids produced when a male and a female from different species interbreed
    C) They are produced as a result of mutation
    D) All of the above

HSC

It's not B as DNA isn't specific to gender and hence not D. Mutations are generally the altering of a bases (whether it be a deletion, addition or substitution) in the organism itself, which I don't think involves transgenic organisms. I think A is most correct, as transgenic organisms involve introducing DNA from one organism into the DNA of another, altering the genetic make up of the organism.

HSC
    N/A

HSC Question: During protein synthesis, mRNA is translated into sequences of amino acids. How many amino acids are coded for in this molecule?

Answer is 2 but why? Is it because there is a codon and an anti-codon so that makes it two? Can someone explain for me?

HSC

HSC Question: During protein synthesis, mRNA is translated into sequences of amino acids. How many amino acids are coded for in this molecule?

Answer is 2 but why? Is it because there is a codon and an anti-codon so that makes it two? Can someone explain for me?
    Which year?

HSC
    N/A

Which year?
    Honestly not sure, I've got the 2008 success one edition and it has questions from modules in order and the past papers, this question is from the modules in order and it doesn't say the year if you know what I mean.

HSC

Honestly not sure, I've got the 2008 success one edition and it has questions from modules in order and the past papers, this question is from the modules in order and it doesn't say the year if you know what I mean.
    Is that the exact wording of the question that u posted?

HSC
    N/A

Is that the exact wording of the question that u posted?
    Yeah, question is worded exactly from the book.

HSC

Yeah, question is worded exactly from the book.
    Well the question is wrong in the first place.. mRNA does not get translated into amino acids and the number of amino acids that a mRNA strand codes for depends on the no. of codons that it has

HSC
    Uni Grad

A new product has been developed to kill pathogens in drinking water.

Design an experiment to test the effectiveness of the product (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Oer View Post
    I am grateful for Rhino's existence

HSC
    N/A

Well the question is wrong in the first place.. mRNA does not get translated into amino acids and the number of amino acids that a mRNA strand codes for depends on the no. of codons that it has
    Isn't an amino acid basically mRNAs binded with tRNAs? As in the codon of a mRNA binds with an anti-codon of a tRNA, and this basically forms an amino acid?

HSC

Isn't an amino acid basically mRNAs binded with tRNAs? As in the codon of a mRNA binds with an anti-codon of a tRNA, and this basically forms an amino acid?
    Nop. Aminocyl- tRNA synthetase binds an amino acid to the tRNA with the specific anticondon. The tRNA joins its anticodon with the corresponding codon of the mRNA and this process repeats with the amino acid molecule(s) being transferred from the previous tRNA to the next
    Queenroot likes this.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information