CSSA Biology Trial 2015 (1 Viewer)

sharoooooo

HSC
How did everyone find it?
Easy? Hard?
Easier/Harder than expected?

camcamca

HSC
Pretty Easy, only not sure a bout that epidemiology study one. SOmeone explain?

Mr_Kap

HSC
Pretty Easy, only not sure a bout that epidemiology study one. SOmeone explain?
That's where i think ill lose a few marks. I'm not really sure what it was asking for.

lastofus

HSC
Not as hard as I expected as I hardly studied at all. Expected it to be really hard for some reason, but glad it wasn't actually too difficult. Overall, the questions were pretty straight forward. Regarding the epidemiology question, you were meant to design a study that you could use to find the possible disease that is causing the symptoms in the children (ofc you didn't have to state the disease but just a study you could use to find it). I bsed mine so hard but you needed things such as large sample sizes etc.

Mr_Kap

HSC
Was my teacher allowed to put this in the addendum i couldn't find it in the syllabus:

5 mark question which was about the prac of temperature on an enzyme and they told us to write up a method with AMYLASE, but i had only learned catalase at home. I looked at the dot point and it doesn't specify any enzymes so is that even allowed?

sharoooooo

HSC
I think my school might have done a different exam by the looks of it... :/
The teacher told us that we weren't doing CSSA but then nek minut, our exam said CSSA on it so like i dont actually know what test we did :spin:

DepressedPenguino

HSC
I did the independent one and there were some weird questions. I think i did alright tho. Probably 90% if lucky

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Was my teacher allowed to put this in the addendum i couldn't find it in the syllabus:

5 mark question which was about the prac of temperature on an enzyme and they told us to write up a method with AMYLASE, but i had only learned catalase at home. I looked at the dot point and it doesn't specify any enzymes so is that even allowed?
That would suck and won't happen in hsc cause they would probably have a graph on its optimal pH and its role in catalysing a specific substrate. Independent was worse :3 there were definite stuff completely outta syllabus.

Mr_Kap

HSC
I think my school might have done a different exam by the looks of it... :/
The teacher told us that we weren't doing CSSA but then nek minut, our exam said CSSA on it so like i dont actually know what test we did :spin:
If you can remember any of these question i will write, then you had the CSSA exam:

Changed understanding of relationship between genes, proteins, and polypetides and mention scientist.

Punnet square in which two of the same allele did not produce disease.

Assessing accuracy and reliability of a statement that was like "Personal hygeine and healthy living prevent infectious diseases", and mentioning immune response.

Designing a valid epidemiological study to find cause of disease of children at a school or somewhere that were getting disease.

A question justifying accuracy of biochemical study compared to paleontological study, to do with finding evolutionary relationships.

a flowchart on steps of DNA replication

And many more i cannot remember.

Last edited:

Mr_Kap

HSC
That would suck and won't happen in hsc cause they would probably have a graph on its optimal pH and its role in catalysing a specific substrate. Independent was worse :3 there were definite stuff completely outta syllabus.
That's why our school does CSSA not independant or any other trials. Our school used to do NEAP but they had stuff that was SO irrelevant so now we do CSSA.

danyool

HSC
Changed understanding of relationship between genes, proteins, and polypetides and mention scientist.

Assessing accuracy and reliability of a statement that was like "Personal hygeine and healthy living prevent infectious diseases", and mentioning immune response.

Designing a valid epidemiological study to find cause of disease children at a school or somewhere that were getting disease.

A question justifying accuracy of biochemical study compared to paleontological study, to do with finding evolutionary relationships.

Could someone please post suggested answers for these questions? Would be a massive help

DepressedPenguino

HSC

Designing a valid epidemiological study to find cause of disease children at a school or somewhere that were getting disease.

Could someone please post suggested answers for these questions? Would be a massive help
1. For genes: can talk about mendel's 'factors' and their behaviour during reproduction. later verified by sutton, boveri and morgan. (E.g. their supported mendel's law of random segregation of genes and indepedent assortment etc)
2. Idk what the exact q is and two same alleles dont produce disease? Maybe disease is reccessive and the two alleles are domaint? Or co-domaince kind of question?
3. Accuracy= statistics and supports the effectiveness of public health programs e.g. education for awareness, sewerage disposal by councial, clean and disease-free water etc (can relate to cholera). Idk about reliability.. maybe there is a source and u assess the reliability of the source e.g. outlining the origin of source, the reliability of referenced sources from the source etc. IMMUNE RESPONSE -> macfarlane burnet (e.g. clonal selection theory and increases our understanding of the role of antigens, t and b cells and antibodies and their relationships).
4. features of epidemiological studies e.g gotta be diverse which helps control variables And only testing the independent variable (e.g. a specific variable that causes that disease). E.g. whether it is age, ethnicity or whatever. Must state the controlled variable And the method to be used.
5. Biochemical techniques like dna-dna hybridisation, dna and protein sequencing, etc on cytochrome C between chimpanzees and humans is much more accurate as they operate under more smaller scalr and consider the amino acid sequence which is determined by genes that is being inherited. Comparatively paleontology relies on fossil record which is incomplete and often critcised by many modern scientists and led to the theory of punctuated equilibrium (questioning darwin theory of natural seletion and hence gradualism). however there are evidence of such images of evolution through paleontological studies emgm the finding of the archaeopteryx and some others which i forgot. Overall the use of biochemical techniques more accurate as they can be used on modern day species
6. Find a diagram online

DepressedPenguino

HSC
1. For genes: can talk about mendel's 'factors' and their behaviour during reproduction. later verified by sutton, boveri and morgan. (E.g. their supported mendel's law of random segregation of genes and indepedent assortment etc)
2. Idk what the exact q is and two same alleles dont produce disease? Maybe disease is reccessive and the two alleles are domaint? Or co-domaince kind of question?
3. Accuracy= statistics and supports the effectiveness of public health programs e.g. education for awareness, sewerage disposal by councial, clean and disease-free water etc (can relate to cholera). Idk about reliability.. maybe there is a source and u assess the reliability of the source e.g. outlining the origin of source, the reliability of referenced sources from the source etc. IMMUNE RESPONSE -> macfarlane burnet (e.g. clonal selection theory and increases our understanding of the role of antigens, t and b cells and antibodies and their relationships).
4. features of epidemiological studies e.g gotta be diverse which helps control variables And only testing the independent variable (e.g. a specific variable that causes that disease). E.g. whether it is age, ethnicity or whatever. Must state the controlled variable And the method to be used.
5. Biochemical techniques like dna-dna hybridisation, dna and protein sequencing, etc on cytochrome C between chimpanzees and humans is much more accurate as they operate under more smaller scalr and consider the amino acid sequence which is determined by genes that is being inherited. Comparatively paleontology relies on fossil record which is incomplete and often critcised by many modern scientists and led to the theory of punctuated equilibrium (questioning darwin theory of natural seletion and hence gradualism). however there are evidence of such images of evolution through paleontological studies emgm the finding of the archaeopteryx and some others which i forgot. Overall the use of biochemical techniques more accurate as they can be used on modern day species
6. Find a diagram online
Good practice for me :D probably got 70% if i did it right now

tamam98

HSC
N/A
do you remember any questions from the independent paper?

Last edited:

Anthel

HSC
N/A
6. Find a diagram online
I dont know about those scientists, I used Mendel but mostly about Beadle and Tatums hypothesis 'one-gene, one polypeptide'. I dont know if im right ...lol.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
I dont know about those scientists, I used Mendel but mostly about Beadle and Tatums hypothesis 'one-gene, one polypeptide'. I dont know if im right ...lol.
Yeah i forgot to mention beadle and tatum (assumed everyone knew xD). But for genes i would go with mendel and maybe touch on morgan depending on the total mark of the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)