Measuring the size of red/white blood cells (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I have trouble measuring the size of red/white blood cells, how do I measure their size?

Flop21

HSC
Don't questions like this give you a scale? So the main the we should be learning is really just calculating the size from a scale, and knowing the units of measurement?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Don't questions like this give you a scale? So the main the we should be learning is really just calculating the size from a scale, and knowing the units of measurement?
I don't know at all how to measure, for example how would you do questions like these?

Flop21

HSC
1mm = 1000µm (micrometre)

From this thread, here is the method:

To measure a rbc first you must set up the light microscope appropriately. The magnification really doesn't matter so long as you manage to spot the cells, but I would recommend using a X40 magnification. Once you can see the cells you use grid paper or a ruler to measure the field of view or the circle of light produced by the microscope on the sample. Once you have the field of view diameter in millimetres, multiply the length by 1000 to get the length in micrometres. Next you divide this length by the magnification as you are zooming in and reducing the diameter. After this you estimate how many cells would fit along the diameter, you then divide the length of the diameter by the amount of cells.

Working out.
The length of the field of view was 2mm
2x1000=2000micrometers
2000/40=500
I estimated that there were around 70 cells
500/70=7.14 micrometres
http://community.boredofstudies.org...986/measuring-size-red-white-blood-cells.html

Here is another link with a method (HSC Online):

http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au/biology/core/balance/9_2_2/922net.html#net3

Hopefully that helps, but tbh this is something I need to study as well.

EDIT: Also you need a ruler for these questions.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Quick bump, for the 2nd photo, how would I measure the diameter?

HSC
measure with ruler. Record in cm. Divide answer by 500 (as it says the paper image is x500 magnified). Convert to appropriate unit of measurement

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Just know that an RBC is usually 8 microns wide and most WBCs are larger than that

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Also you can eliminate anything that is in millimetres because cells are microscopic

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Just know that an RBC is usually 8 microns wide and most WBCs are larger than that
Okay so I just came across a HSC question asking to 'draw a scaled diagram' of a red blood cell, if I know that RBC are usually 8 microns, how much cm would that be if I was to draw a scaled diagram?

rand_althor

HSC
Okay so I just came across a HSC question asking to 'draw a scaled diagram' of a red blood cell, if I know that RBC are usually 8 microns, how much cm would that be if I was to draw a scaled diagram?
Depends what your scale is. You could do 1cm:2microns.

Stimuli

HSC
N/A
In regards to drawing scaled diagrams of RBC's, what range can you draw their size in? I've been taught that their size is 5-7µm, so would it be acceptable to draw a RBC with a diameter within that range?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Quick bump, how would I do this question?

Flop21

HSC
You just have to use the scale, then use your ruler, so you get 130, then convert the units into micrometres, and it already gives you "1um = 1000nm"

So we have 130nm, converting that (divide by one thousand > scale), you get 0.130um.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Do you mean measuring the width of the virus with a ruler?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)