Anaerobic Respiration (1 Viewer)

axwe7

HSC
N/A
The formula for anaerobic respiration is; C6H12O6 = 2C3H6O3 + 2ATP

I am confused about the products... isn't 2C3H6O3 the same as Glucose? Since C3H6O3 is half of glucose, 2x C3H6O3 would be glucose.. right?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
You do Chemistry don't you? So doesn't the "2" equal the number of moles and it won't change the molecules name?

axwe7

HSC
N/A
You do Chemistry don't you? So doesn't the "2" equal the number of moles and it won't change the molecules name?
Wouldn't 2 represent the number of molecules not moles?

I get that, but what I'm confused about, is that if you expand the Lactic Acid, it would be 2C3 + 2H6 + 2O3 correct?

Btw, I'm starting preliminary on Thursday...

jathu123

HSC
2C3H6O3 simply means 2 molecules (or moles not sure) of lactic acid. Even though there equal number of atoms of carbon hydrogen and oxygen atoms, they are not bonded in such a way that they turn out to be glucose, get it? It like saying 2 molecules of hydroxide (OH) is actually hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), Which is definitely not true

Last edited:

Shuuya

HSC
Glucose is C6H12O6

lactic acid is C3H6O3

Look at the difference in structure

Last edited:

axwe7

HSC
N/A
2C3H6O3 simply means 2 molecules (or moles not sure) of lactic acid. Even though there equal number of atoms of carbon hydrogen and oxygen atoms, they are not bonded in such a way that they turn out to be glucose, get it? It like saying 2 molecules of hydroxide (OH) is actually hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), Which is definitely not true
Thanks.... I've understood it now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)