Biology Essay!!?? (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I have just received a assessment task for biology and it is worth alot of marks overall (30% weighting, 15 marks), but It is a really weird task as it is an in class essay.

Task Description: In class essay (40 minutes). You will need to answer the following questions under exam conditions:
a) Compare abiotic variables in the salt marsh and mangrove ecosystems.
b) Explain how adaptions help saltmarsh (Sarcocornia quinqueflora) and grey mangroves (Avicennia marina) live in these ecosystems.
c) Evaluate the impact of differences in abiotic factors within the saltmarsh and mangrove environments

Your answer will be marked holistically (marked as one basically)

Marking Guideline: These are basically what is required to receive full marks
-Consistently uses correct units for date AND refers to labelled diagrams in text (5 marks)
-Justifies conclusion based on adaptions of each organism (5 marks)
-Evaluates data used to justify conclusion (5 marks)

I am not too sure on how to set this out, any help on this would be great, thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
Firstly, set it out as the criteria has asked, aka a-c. Secondly, what are you confused about? It seems to explain itself pretty well; talk about the different abiotic (In biology and ecology, abiotic components or abiotic factors are non-living chemical and physical parts of the environment that affect living organisms and the functioning of ecosystems) parts of the two environments, such as salt and water levels, then address how the two species has adapted to be able to live in these conditions (salt regulation (bark, leaves etc.), water uptake, all that jazz) and then the impact that changing the abiotic factors would have. Does that help?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Firstly, set it out as the criteria has asked, aka a-c. Secondly, what are you confused about? It seems to explain itself pretty well; talk about the different abiotic (In biology and ecology, abiotic components or abiotic factors are non-living chemical and physical parts of the environment that affect living organisms and the functioning of ecosystems) parts of the two environments, such as salt and water levels, then address how the two species has adapted to be able to live in these conditions (salt regulation (bark, leaves etc.), water uptake, all that jazz) and then the impact that changing the abiotic factors would have. Does that help?
I am confused on how to set it out and do I need to include diagrams (like the criteria says) and how to include them

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I am confused on how to set it out and do I need to include diagrams (like the criteria says) and how to include them
Lol if the criteria says you need to include diagrams and you are marked based on the criteria, it is pretty obvious you need to include one. You should ask your teacher these questions to be honest because they will be able to give you the best clarifications because they are likely to be the one marking the essay.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Do I need an intro? lol
I have never written a science essay so I am pree confused

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
If it says to include diagrams, as strawberrye said, you better include them and refer to them. If you don't know how to write a scientific essay you better talk to your teacher bc you'll be writing a lot more and it's a skill that you defs need to have if your doing any type of science.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I have finished this essay, anyone who is kinda knowledgeable in science essays or biology keen to have a look and critique me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)