HSC 2016 Biology Marathon (1 Viewer)

dre_877

HSC
With just around a month left till the bio hsc exam, i thought i'd make a thread where we can ask questions we may have problems with or those we may predict will appear in the exam, as i noticed that there wasn't a thread already made.
So basically, answer the question and then ask a new one.

I'll start us off,

Explain the relationship between the cause and ONE symptom of ONE named non-infectious disease. (4 marks)

sourmilk

HSC
With just around a month left till the bio hsc exam, i thought i'd make a thread where we can ask questions we may have problems with or those we may predict will appear in the exam, as i noticed that there wasn't a thread already made.
So basically, answer the question and then ask a new one.

I'll start us off,

Explain the relationship between the cause and ONE symptom of ONE named non-infectious disease. (4 marks)
This thread looks awfully lonely :(

Kwashiorkor is a severe form of malnutrition cause by a protein-deficient diet, and it occurs in developing countries, where rice and starchy foods are the basic diet. The symptoms of Kwashiorkor involves a child having puffy legs, distended abdomen, poor quality skin and hair, an enlarged liver and mental disabilities. The disease is also associated with poverty which is a much more complex issue; aid programs may help address the poverty and therefore prevent the issue. However, the treatment/management basically involves the need to provide a protein-rich diet.

Differentiate between T-Cells and B-Cells and describe their role in the immune system (4 marks)

dre_877

HSC
This thread looks awfully lonely :(

Kwashiorkor is a severe form of malnutrition cause by a protein-deficient diet, and it occurs in developing countries, where rice and starchy foods are the basic diet. The symptoms of Kwashiorkor involves a child having puffy legs, distended abdomen, poor quality skin and hair, an enlarged liver and mental disabilities. The disease is also associated with poverty which is a much more complex issue; aid programs may help address the poverty and therefore prevent the issue. However, the treatment/management basically involves the need to provide a protein-rich diet.

Differentiate between T-Cells and B-Cells and describe their role in the immune system (4 marks)
Overall, good answer, but I think you could have put more detail in regards to the actual relationship between the cause and symptom, I haven’t learnt about kwashiorkor but another example, in terms of down syndrome, a symptom would be flat facial features or a shorter neck, and then relate this to the cause which is a chromosomal mutation such as trisomy 21 wherein the mutation leads to the generation of new alleles which may be expressed in the phenotype, ie. Flat facial features or a shorter neck.

Anyways, T cells and B cells are both components of the immune response. T cells are a type of lymphocyte that are produced in the bone marrow and mature in the thymus gland, whereas B cells are produced and mature in the bone marrow. T cells have surface receptors whereby they are able to recognise foreign antigens. When detected, they release cytokines which allow for production of clone helper t-cells. Helper t-cells then release interleukins which allows for production of cytotoxic t-cells which destroy the pathogen, and B cells. B cells produce plasma cells which make antibodies and thence form the antigen-antibody complex and deactivate the foreign antigen. Also, memory B and T cells remain in the body and allow for a quicker immune response if the body is invaded by the same foreign antigen. Hence B and T cells play an important role in the immune system.

Outline the contributions of Macfarlane Burnet in the understanding of the immune system (3 marks)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)