Haploid and Diploid (1 Viewer)

Snowflek

HSC
Hello, I'm very confused about haploid and diploids. All i know about then is haploid is n and diploids is 2n of chromosomes. Is there something more in depth i need to know?
An organisms diploid number is 8. How many possible combinations of gametes can it produce as a result of the independent assortment of its chromosomes? Please explain in detail if you are able to. Thank you :D

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
From doing a bit of googling, sources say that the number of possible combinations of maternal + paternal chromosomes in gametes is 2^N, where N is the amount of chromosomes in a haploid (4) and 2 is the number of homologous pairs in a haploid (4 chromosomes = 2 pairs).

2^4 = 16

Source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100104220841AAJwhb4 (reliable source)

I don't think you need to know this though, I think all you need to know what each of them are so that you can use the terminology haploid and diploid in an exam.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
In general gametes are usually haploids and undergo meiosis. Other cells are diploids and undergo mitosis.

GeorgeYLin

HSC
From doing a bit of googling, sources say that the number of possible combinations of maternal + paternal chromosomes in gametes is 2^N, where N is the amount of chromosomes in a haploid (4) and 2 is the number of homologous pairs in a haploid (4 chromosomes = 2 pairs).

2^4 = 16

Source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100104220841AAJwhb4 (reliable source)

I don't think you need to know this though, I think all you need to know what each of them are so that you can use the terminology haploid and diploid in an exam.
Great answer I agree completely :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)